Sand On Sand question! LOOK!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok my sand is a little to fine and causes some blowing and drifts with the tunze going. I was thinking of adding a little bigger sized grain sand over the top of what I have. Will the new thicker stuff stay on the top? I am thinking yes...

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking from a geological standpoint (I have an M.S. in geology) there is no reason the coarser sand would move. However, if you have any burrowing animals they will likely mix your sand bed to the point where the problem returns. Vibrations in the tank will actually help keep the coarser sand on top contrary to common belief. The finer grained material falls between the spaces between the coarser sand, leaving coarse material on top.

J. Montgomery

Mouth Pipetting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixture of Fiji Pink sand and larger 2-4mm sand particles in my tank. I hate the 2-4mm stuff with a passion. It grows coralline and other algae and makes the sand look dirty.

I have a sand that one size up from the Fiji Pink (I can't remember the name right now) in my refugium. Its good.

gastone

I dig chicks with rics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rev,

I've had DSB made from Southdown for a number of years. I upgraded my flow and have since been blowing sand around my tank, which I didn't like too much. I decided I wanted to use this. I ended up just placing it over my existing sand bed a little bit at a time over the course of around 2 weeks. In hindsight I wish I would have removed the old sand bed first as I have been having algae issues since the switch. That being said, the new substrate looks great, and as Russell stated, the larger material stays up top... hence no more "sand storms".

Garrett.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did just that in all of the displays when I set them back up after the move. Sugar sized with a light layer of coarse crushed coral. When it does mix, it looks somewhat natural. In the tiny acan tank, I had to have the top layer to keep the sand on the bottom.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back