Sand question

TodaysTrolling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank off a while back. And I’ve been having a major issue with sand free floating all over the tank and semi covering everything up. Would it be worth it to maybe add some crushed argonite on top of the sand to kinda compact it? Didn’t want it to mess with my snails or snowflake eel. But I also don’t want the sand aggitating the corals

DD0A7E8B-608D-47CF-9612-6D1D9122D458.jpeg

Andrew Zimmerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding crushed argonite on top will not work they way you think. The two types of substrate will separate leaving you with the same problem. You are going to have to lower your flow or aim your powerheads differently.

OP
OP
T

TodaysTrolling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding crushed argonite on top will not work they way you think. The two types of substrate will separate leaving you with the same problem. You are going to have to lower your flow or aim your powerheads differently.
Would pointing the power head pointing towards the sand further up make it pointless? Or would it still be a benefit? Or should I just buy a smaller powerhead I can point downwards towards the substrate.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a couple of questions:
1. How old is the tank?
2. When was the sand added?
3. How are your power heads set up?
4. Any sand sifting critters or fish in your tank?

I have oolitic sand and fist couple of weeks had cloudy water. Then it eventually cleared up.

Then I got a sand sifter a couple years later...more cloudiness for a while, but cleared up.

Then a couple years without a sifter and a new sifter is now clouding up my tank.

Long term I've never had an issue, but my powerheads are setup to not blow sand everywhere.

Andrew Zimmerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely would not point them at the sand bed. You could lower the mounting but angle them up. It may take some playing around to see if you can get your current power heads to work for your setup.

OP
OP
T

TodaysTrolling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a couple of questions:
1. How old is the tank?
2. When was the sand added?
3. How are your power heads set up?
4. Any sand sifting critters or fish in your tank?

I have oolitic sand and fist couple of weeks had cloudy water. Then it eventually cleared up.

Then I got a sand sifter a couple years later...more cloudiness for a while, but cleared up.

Then a couple years without a sifter and a new sifter is now clouding up my tank.

Long term I've never had an issue, but my powerheads are setup to not blow sand everywhere.
1. It’s 10-12 months old.
2. the sand was added when I started the tank
3. I’ll attach pictures
4. A sand sifting starfish, an engineer goby, some small hermits and snails. That’s really about it. I’m thinking my sand may just be a bit to fine.

Attachments

• EA062B63-AE09-486C-BF5D-6C63A23F8397.jpeg
    EA062B63-AE09-486C-BF5D-6C63A23F8397.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 8DF42252-2E52-4288-8DA5-78926C652AB2.jpeg
    8DF42252-2E52-4288-8DA5-78926C652AB2.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 45

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. It’s 10-12 months old.
2. the sand was added when I started the tank
3. I’ll attach pictures
4. A sand sifting starfish, an engineer goby, some small hermits and snails. That’s really about it. I’m thinking my sand may just be a bit to fine.
Has it been cloudy from day 1 then and never cleared up?

IndianReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI...One more reason why I will not go back to sand.... bare bottom reefs are my favorite. I keep a small but substantial sand bed in the small compartment of the sump with macro .... tank/ fuge is full of pods... and flow can be anything I want...

Attachments

• DCB0FF7F-DC43-465E-8D85-9809593B758B.jpeg
    DCB0FF7F-DC43-465E-8D85-9809593B758B.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 49

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI...One more reason why I will not go back to sand.... bare bottom reefs are my favorite. I keep a small but substantial sand bed in the small compartment of the sump with macro .... tank/ fuge is full of pods... and flow can be anything I want...
I love DSB. Great for filtration, support some of my favorite fish, and gives a very natural look to the tank. But that's the great thing about this hobby...its like gardening and everyone can curate it to their likes!

OP
OP
T

TodaysTrolling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Honestly it’s not. Loaded now. Just tends to relocate sand. If I blow the rocks and coral off with. Turkey Baster. Over the next day or two
It’ll resettle more on there.

unklez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barebottom is horrible if you get a sandsifting goby and a conch you will have spotless sand and dont even have to vacuum it.

@OP i think a jebao gyre would go better in your tank and then aim the gyres upwards.

OP
OP
T

TodaysTrolling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funnily enough i have one i took out for those 2. Seems a bit harder to clean. I wonder if i could just get the same thing by pointing both powerheads up. The only thing I didn't like about the gyre was I would get week flow on one side of the tank unless i was completely blasting the side with the Gyre.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my powerheads attached down about 3" from the water surface and have them pointed up so that the water surface has a definite ripple but not a raging rapid. It still provides flow to the lower portions of the tank from the deflected water that hits the aquarium glass.

OP
OP
T

TodaysTrolling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my powerheads attached down about 3" from the water surface and have them pointed up so that the water surface has a definite ripple but not a raging rapid. It still provides flow to the lower portions of the tank from the deflected water that hits the aquarium glass.
So with one on each side would pointing them upwards toward the water get the same effect?

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah play with the flow.. sounds like you just have too much. Do you have the Koralia 1400 versions? I went with 1150s specifically so I wouldn't have this issue.. and I still have it a little - had to play with the flow a lot to get it just right.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back