SCA 150 Slooooowwww Build...

Aquius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been lurking for about the past year and a half. About a year ago, I picked up a 100 gallon acrylic peninsula AIO that I wanted to set up in the dining room of the new house we were buying. What sucks is that the deal on our new house fell through and we ended in in what my kids affectionately dubbed "the shoe-box" for a few months until we found a new place. So no room for the tank, especially since we were determined to get out of there as soon as possible.

Fast forward to now... We found a new place last Christmas and are STILL settling in. As we adjusted to our new home, I realized the 90 gallon is just not going to work. A peninsula would break up the flow in the house too much. Nine, seven, three, and one year-olds do not need another piece of furniture that sticks out in their natural "race track." I needed a more traditional "against the wall" tank that does not stick out in such a high traffic area.

Which gets me to the 150 gallon SCA tank I found locally on Craigslist. I also picked up 130 pounds of mixed Pukani/Figi live rock, a DIY sump, and a homemade stand. All out the door for $550
mdrbig.gif

The tank is 60"x 24"x24", all starphire glass, euro-braced, has perfect seams, and NO scratches. In order to keep it safe from the little warriors on the warpath, yet still be in a spot in the house that is going to be enjoyable, it is going into the bay window inset in the dining room. There are windows on either side of it's spot, but it is on the north side of the house and I have never seen the sun shining in directly.

My intention is to ultimately shoot for a mixed tank: mainly LPS, with a dash of softies and SPS. I am unsure as to whether or not i want to go with the Triton system, or a modified method using a chaeto reactor. Still researching that one, so we will see...

The next step is to pressure wash and acid bath the rock, clean the tank with a vinegar solution, and get the t-slot (80/20) stand design finalized in Solidworks and built. I will post up the design within a day or two and ask for opinions to make sure I do not do anything (too) stupid.
spin2.gif
I am REALLY looking forward to getting this thing out of my garage and put where she belongs!!!

Anyway, here are a few shots of my mistress in all her (current) nasty glory. The pic that is not infested with algae is from a few months ago before the previous owner started to let it go due to prepping for his doctoral defense.

Also: THANKS FOR THE AWESOME FORUM!!! It has been a lot help so far :)

20170820_134935.jpg

00q0q_2aqkMNk2xbp_1200x900.jpg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with getting things up and running. Signing up to follow along.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following!

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal for a display is the SCA 150. I will definately be following your build :) is it just the tank or the SCA stand with it?

OP
OP
Aquius

Aquius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all :)
The big delay right now is because the wife and I are converting our house back to a single family and are not renewing the lease for my tenant who lives on the first floor of my house. Once the tenant is gone by April, the tank is going on the first floor. Hence, the SLOW build…

Right now, I just have the tank. I am currently designing the stand out of 80/20 and hope to have it in by February. Here is a quick screenshot:
Stand_Prototype.jpg

Also, I am pulling out the tower overflow and am putting a Modular Marine 2,400 GPH Ghost Overflow with a Bean Animal setup... Will give me SOOOO much more room :)

More updates to come...

:cool:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back