Scoly peeling up off its skeleton

ThatsNoMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a button scoly that was fine two days ago when fed but I just realised today he looks like this. It looks like it's peeling off the skeleton? Is there anything that specifically causes this? No big changes have been made this week at all.

I'm doing water tests now but thought I should post this asap to see if there is anything I need to do asap to save the coral

Last edited:

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a button scoly that was fine two days ago when fed but I just realised today he looks like this. It looks like it's peeling off the skeleton? Is there anything that specifically causes this? No big changes have been made this week at all.

I'm doing water tests now but thought I should post this asap to see if there is anything I need to do asap to save the coral
Sorry, I can’t see the video. Can we have some pics? It sounds a lot like full polyp bailout but I haven’t seen a scoly do that

OP
OP
ThatsNoMoon

ThatsNoMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WhatsApp Image 2020-12-13 at 18.15.43 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-12-13 at 18.15.43.jpeg

OP
OP
ThatsNoMoon

ThatsNoMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I can’t see the video. Can we have some pics? It sounds a lot like full polyp bailout but I haven’t seen a scoly do that
Sure, video reposted (hopefully working now) and pics showing how its peeled up. It is kinda floopy like a badly stuck on wig.

phos: 0.03
ph: 8-8.2
cal: 440
mg: 1440
alk: 8.2
nitrate 20
nitrite: 0
temp: 76f

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry to see this it's a goner though I've had my scolys do this before 2 and there's just nothing you can do to try to stop it once they start doing it it seems like they go from there you can try to put it in some kind of coral dip

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see this it's a goner though I've had my scolys do this before 2 and there's just nothing you can do to try to stop it once they start doing it it seems like they go from there you can try to put it in some kind of coral dip
Not a dip meant for pest but a dip meant for Coral health after fragging and things of this nature

OP
OP
ThatsNoMoon

ThatsNoMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've placed the button scoly in an area I think has the lowest flow. I will try let it rest and see how it goes from there. I will get my hands on some iodine dip for corals and see if I can dip it soon

OP
OP
ThatsNoMoon

ThatsNoMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Judging by how fast the water is moving behind your tube I'd say way too much flow of nothing else
Yep agreed. I've been looking through the tank and feel the flow was too high there and all tank parameters seem fine. unless a tank was nipping at it then flow is the only culprit I see.

OP
OP
ThatsNoMoon

ThatsNoMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scoly has been Dipped in NT Labs and then dipped in an iodine solution and placed back into the tank in a low flow area. I may put it in a mushroom box but for now, I will leave it be and just hope it manages to recover although I doubt it will.

OP
OP
ThatsNoMoon

ThatsNoMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: 1 month later

I have moved the scoly to a low flow area at the back of the tank where there is still light and tried to feed it at least every other day with brine shrimp mixed with ReefRoids.

It's doing great. The bit that was ripped off seems like it has reattached and has its feeding tentacles out every night. There is a little flap of extra flesh I think that could be old damage from back when the scoly was getting torn off but apart from that, it's doing great!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-01-06 at 17.17.34.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-01-06 at 17.17.34.jpeg
    310.2 KB · Views: 55

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back