SCOLYMIA TURNING PALE/WHITE - HELP! :(

TheMagicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I got this cool scoly on December 27th. Since then it had been doing great. Unfortunately today I noticed it’s Color fading away and is not as fluffy/puffed up as it use to be. I’ve tried target feeding it reef roids twice a week. It’s been kind of a struggle because my other fish keep trying to eat the food I’m trying to give it while target feeding. (feeding it at night). Also I’m noticing there’s something black in its mouth, I’ve tried to wave it out but it’s like it’s attached to it. You can kind of see it it the photo below under white light.

The only thing different that’s happened in the tank since I started noticing change with the scoly was that I’ve been slowly raising the alkalinity. It was at 5-6 2 days ago and now is at 10.

I’ll attach photos from when we first got it till now so you can see the difference, although it definitely looks more white/pale in person rather than in the photo.

48DAE499-DF97-437E-BFD0-B819174D610D.png

This is the Scoly when we’re first got it.

592D8602-90EF-4300-A851-DFB75B321904.jpeg
This is it now under a white light

6877A672-71F7-4886-BFFC-0C84AAC9F527.jpeg

Under blues

Please help!

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things people will ask you so start thinking about these questions.

(1) How long has your tank been running? Did you use dry rock or live rock?
(2) What are your other water parameters (pH, Nitrite, Ammonia, Nitrate, Phosphate, Calcium, Magnesium as well as your Alkalinity)
(3) What kind of test kits are you using?
(4) Do you use RO water or store bought RO and or Saltwater?
(5) What is your water changing schedule like?
(6) The coral getting too much flow?

From my understanding Scoly's are very hardy but you will probably have to provide more information.

Upvote 0

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Alk 5-6 2 days ago now 10 is your answer.
But I doubt it was 5 - 6

what’s your test kit and all the questions above
We are here to help, slow slow slow is the answer to reefing
That is a huge change. When you stated you were trying to slowly raise it, slow is like .5 alk over a few days.

Upvote 0

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like how you said raising it slowly but you have doubled the alk in 2 days :face-with-tears-of-joy:

What would fast be like for you?

Upvote 0

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm it's not happy... lost a lot of tissue around the edge and the mouth is gaping. Not doing well. The swinging parameters are likely stressing it out too.

Corals will often look great even as they are struggling and going down hill. What kind of light levels? Mine prefer lower light levels around 100ish par. I feed them several times a week with meaty foods like mysis or lps pellets. I have never had good results with reef roids as a food. Even if I mix it thick into a paste. It's always a challenge to target feed corals when dealing with fish and inverts. Some people put little plastic cages over the coral when feeding. I just feed A LOT so the fish and shrimp and hermits etc just ignore the corals.

Upvote 0

ab-774819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I got this cool scoly on December 27th. Since then it had been doing great. Unfortunately today I noticed it’s Color fading away and is not as fluffy/puffed up as it use to be. I’ve tried target feeding it reef roids twice a week. It’s been kind of a struggle because my other fish keep trying to eat the food I’m trying to give it while target feeding. (feeding it at night). Also I’m noticing there’s something black in its mouth, I’ve tried to wave it out but it’s like it’s attached to it. You can kind of see it it the photo below under white light.

The only thing different that’s happened in the tank since I started noticing change with the scoly was that I’ve been slowly raising the alkalinity. It was at 5-6 2 days ago and now is at 10.

I’ll attach photos from when we first got it till now so you can see the difference, although it definitely looks more white/pale in person rather than in the photo.

48DAE499-DF97-437E-BFD0-B819174D610D.png

This is the Scoly when we’re first got it.

592D8602-90EF-4300-A851-DFB75B321904.jpeg
This is it now under a white light

6877A672-71F7-4886-BFFC-0C84AAC9F527.jpeg

Under blues

Please help!
Did your scoly make it? Mine is looking the same as yours, only worse. Mouth gaping open and flesh stretched VERY thin over the skeleton/extreme tissue loss and skeleton showing.

Upvote 0

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had trouble with the croc islands scolys, lost 3 out of 5. The other scolys are doing great including the fragged ones. Needless to say I won’t be purchasing those again.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back