OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing photos, thanks for sharing! It’s been 20 years since I’ve been to Montana.. what a beautiful state.
Absolutely beautiful indeed! Wish I had taken more panoramic shots of the surrounding mountains/vista's but my focus was more on the snow we were riding! ;) It was heavenly!

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we ran some tests this morning and all looks good.

Salifert No3: Solid 5ppm

Hanna Po4: .02

I also mailed a quarterly Triton test last week that they should have in CA today. Expect results by Wed/Thurs.

Tanks doing great at the moment. Fuge light upgrade along with the Zeovit dosing appears to be working as Id hoped. We are feeding like crazy frozen as many as 4 times a day along with pellets here and there. Also dosing Brightwell coral amino’s 4, 5 or 6 days a week when Im home mid day and remember.
Wish I was better with pics but growth rates have improved a good bit and Im seeing colors coming out of the corals that weren’t there before!
Heres a couple not so great pics, You can see the colors in the skin showing through. Thats all relatively new.

47544A64-6E9C-4928-A938-6846CE8AF17B.jpeg

92BDC74D-D320-467C-AAB4-4D90BCE14DF7.jpeg

66AB392D-3429-492A-9A8B-1FD013590CA4.jpeg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton killing their turnaround times! Mauled Thurs 3/5 results Tues 3/10! Now to go have a looksie....

E515824B-6D73-45FE-8C55-C7E37B98BD58.png

Thanks for providing your last name. Now I'll really be able to stalk you properly!

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Triton Results weren't too bad. Was low on Potassium, Strontium and Boron all of which I had handy. Dosed half the reccomended make up ammount last night and will follow up with the rest tonight.

We were slightly elevated with Aluminum and Silicate. I am not going to sweat those and it's highly likely they are from my bio media. I added a big Bag of Pond Matrix and another Brightewell block since my last test. I do plan to pull out one of my older blocks that is showing signs of disintegrating but otherwise i dont care if those are higher than normal.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seen in another thread that you weren’t too impressed with the Orphek Atlantik V4 in regards to the lack of blue look.

Are you still running these lights? Did you change the settings to get more blue?
i am still running the Orphek’s. I wound up adding a Reefbrite fixture for more blue. I still can’t get the blue look you can out of Radions or Hydra’s but I am dealing with it for now. I decided to see what the tank looks like at the 2 year mark and make a decision from there.

In the end the way Orphek breaks up the channels by lowering the intensity of channel one which is white you lose A good amount of Par. There are also blue led’s in that channel so you lose them with the whites. The Red line in my schedule below is channel 1. I did cut the length of it but I cant drop the intensity much more without losing the Par I want.

5FA06D2C-63BE-41CA-A7AB-C683146066A6.png

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am still running the Orphek’s. I wound up adding a Reefbrite fixture for more blue. I still can’t get the blue look you can out of Radions or Hydra’s but I am dealing with it for now. I decided to see what the tank looks like at the 2 year mark and make a decision from there.

In the end the way Orphek breaks up the channels by lowering the intensity of channel one which is white you lose A good amount of Par. There are also blue led’s in that channel so you lose them with the whites. The Red line in my schedule below is channel 1. I did cut the length of it but I cant drop the intensity much more without losing the Par I want.

I threw a "wow" on your post. Reason being, I think you're the first person I've seen review the Orphek with a less than stellar review. It's always great to see completely honest reviews. Not that I'm saying others have not been honest but I realize it can be hard for someone to admit that they're not completely happy with something they buy.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I like the lights but wish they had more blue or at least be able to adjust them independently of the other colors. I guess with the design, they wanted to keep the lights more balanced across the spectrum.

I still have my old Hydra 52s and was contemplating adding them to the Orpheks with all blues on to get that blue look I like.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the lights but wish they had more blue or at least be able to adjust them independently of the other colors. I guess with the design, they wanted to keep the lights more balanced across the spectrum.

I still have my old Hydra 52s and was contemplating adding them to the Orpheks with all blues on to get that blue look I like.
That could work if you have the space above the tank. In my case I didnt so I opted for the long narrow Reefbrite. I will probably add a 2nd if I keep them come October.

The new Radions are hard to overlook save the sticker shock!

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removed the oldest of my Brightwell Xport blocks this morning. They reccomend every 6 months. This ones been in since we started the system so about 17/18 months. Quite a bit of sponge growth.

93B1870B-8E91-4756-A7EF-A0A337FCE7CA.jpeg

A5BFB33B-160C-4C8E-A6BD-B76B18599C25.jpeg
That would be a great gift for someone setting up a new tank.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be a great gift for someone setting up a new tank.
Very True.... If I knew someone I would certainly have given it away. My concern was that Brightwell reccomends 6 months. i did not realize that in the beginning. I can only assume thats due to them possibly leaching after a certain period of time but I don’t know for sure. Hopefully I dont regret the decision to remove it. I added a new one about 2 months ago in hopes of not throwing off any balances by pulling the old one.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back