Sea slugs

fu manchu.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are There any reef safe nudibranch that can coexist with lettuce nudibranch, and eat algae or any species of sponge not just one specific kind. Are the 2 nudibranch pictured reef safe.

Sea Slug 2.jpg Sea Slug 1.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
are There any reef safe nudibranch that can coexist with lettuce nudibranch, and eat algae or any species of sponge not just one specific kind. Are the 2 nudibranch pictured reef safe.

Sea Slug 2.jpg Sea Slug 1.jpg
Not much as many eat coral and elyssia is one that eats algae and others from the sacoglossan group

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are There any reef safe nudibranch that can coexist with lettuce nudibranch, and eat algae or any species of sponge not just one specific kind.
Not really. Most nudibranchs are thought to be carnivorous and to have way too specific of dietary needs to keep them in our tanks effectively. I'm not aware of any that eat a wide variety of sponges, and - unfortunately - most sponges tend to be pretty difficult to keep in our tanks anyway.

That said, there are a few different Sacoglossan slug species (mostly Elysia spp. - A.K.A. lettuce nudibranchs - though you can sometimes find Oxynoe spp. for sale too) available in the hobby that are reef safe, safe to keep with lettuce nudibranchs, and would eat algae.
are the 2 nudibranch pictured reef safe.
The 2 nudibranchs you have pics of there are Hypselodoris apolegma and a Phyllidia sp., probably Phyllidia varicosa. They both eat highly specific sponge species, and would be basically impossible to keep at this point.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back