Shark eggs

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jcar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jcar

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 29, 2021
Messages
116
Reaction score
100
Location
Northern California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a few shark eggs ordered from live aquaria to add to my shark pond/pool. I'm assuming they are going to be chiloscyllium punctatum. Does anyone have any info on ho
 
*have any info on how these eggs are collected or if they are from captive bred sharks. Thanks, looking forward to hatching these guys out when they get here
 
I believe most bamboo shark eggs are collected from the wild while they're in season. The only company I know that breeds sharks regularly is ORA, and they seem to stick to the carpet sharks like epaulettes. Not saying no one does breed them, just don't know of anyone who does regularly. Not that it makes a huge difference when it comes to raising them, as hatching them in captivity from wild collection is almost identical to getting one that was laid in captivity.

When they arrive, if they're small, dark, and more elongate, they're more likely to be coral catsharks (Atelomycterus marmoratus). Bamboo shark eggs are larger, more oval in shape, lighter in color, and easier to see through than the catsharks. That being said I'm pretty sure LA only sells bamboo shark eggs.
 
I believe most bamboo shark eggs are collected from the wild while they're in season. The only company I know that breeds sharks regularly is ORA, and they seem to stick to the carpet sharks like epaulettes. Not saying no one does breed them, just don't know of anyone who does regularly. Not that it makes a huge difference when it comes to raising them, as hatching them in captivity from wild collection is almost identical to getting one that was laid in captivity.

When they arrive, if they're small, dark, and more elongate, they're more likely to be coral catsharks (Atelomycterus marmoratus). Bamboo shark eggs are larger, more oval in shape, lighter in color, and easier to see through than the catsharks. That being said I'm pretty sure LA only sells bamboo shark eggs.
Thanks for the response. I've hatched a few coral cats from eggs and they ended up doing great . I'm hoping these new ones are bamboos so I have some variety in the tank/pool. They are coming from LA. I'll know as soon as they get here what species they are so I'll have to post an update.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new