Shark eggs

Jcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a few shark eggs ordered from live aquaria to add to my shark pond/pool. I'm assuming they are going to be chiloscyllium punctatum. Does anyone have any info on ho

OP
OP
J

Jcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*have any info on how these eggs are collected or if they are from captive bred sharks. Thanks, looking forward to hatching these guys out when they get here

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe most bamboo shark eggs are collected from the wild while they're in season. The only company I know that breeds sharks regularly is ORA, and they seem to stick to the carpet sharks like epaulettes. Not saying no one does breed them, just don't know of anyone who does regularly. Not that it makes a huge difference when it comes to raising them, as hatching them in captivity from wild collection is almost identical to getting one that was laid in captivity.

When they arrive, if they're small, dark, and more elongate, they're more likely to be coral catsharks (Atelomycterus marmoratus). Bamboo shark eggs are larger, more oval in shape, lighter in color, and easier to see through than the catsharks. That being said I'm pretty sure LA only sells bamboo shark eggs.

OP
OP
J

Jcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe most bamboo shark eggs are collected from the wild while they're in season. The only company I know that breeds sharks regularly is ORA, and they seem to stick to the carpet sharks like epaulettes. Not saying no one does breed them, just don't know of anyone who does regularly. Not that it makes a huge difference when it comes to raising them, as hatching them in captivity from wild collection is almost identical to getting one that was laid in captivity.

When they arrive, if they're small, dark, and more elongate, they're more likely to be coral catsharks (Atelomycterus marmoratus). Bamboo shark eggs are larger, more oval in shape, lighter in color, and easier to see through than the catsharks. That being said I'm pretty sure LA only sells bamboo shark eggs.
Thanks for the response. I've hatched a few coral cats from eggs and they ended up doing great . I'm hoping these new ones are bamboos so I have some variety in the tank/pool. They are coming from LA. I'll know as soon as they get here what species they are so I'll have to post an update.

Back