• Total voters

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I’ve been having trouble with deciding whether or not to redo my Fluval 13.5 aquascape. This has especially been in mind since my last water change, when my big structure tipped and now feels like an accident waiting to happen.

Here’s how it currently looks:
B432B348-C045-4084-BDC1-39E2B9A4C3F9.jpeg
4B6D7B9D-2288-470B-9239-60FAB32CD9D5.jpeg

4C3F0A55-6AFD-4E08-9D70-62DC8DCEF194.jpeg

I’m conflicted, because I absolutely love the scape’s appearance, and don’t know if I’d wind up liking the result of redoing it.

Here are the pros:
- Fills the tank out nicely, and adds depth (only from the side view, though).
- Showcases a good number of corals
- Keeps an open water column for the fish.
- Looks very natural, and is an excellent hideout for fish and inverts
- Has the look of a “busy reef” that I was initially going for
- Seems to be working well at the current moment. Every coral and creature seems happy and healthy, and I’d hate to do something stupid that would change everything.
- It’s just overall very nice looking. There isn’t really an angle that I look at and say “that looks ugly”.

Although I’m proud of the evolution my tank has gone through, I feel as though the rockwork has been flawed from the start, especially when I look into the future of the corals. It all started when I decided to purchase my live rock from petco, where the only options were bulky cookie cutter choices. Any rock that looked like it could be worked with had either aiptasia or was not for sale.
AC10A006-ABE8-46DA-B540-012AAC38BE6C.jpeg

So here’s the cons:
- The top rock has always been precariously placed, and has tipped many times. It’s only a matter of time until a coral is crushed.
- The pistol shrimp always messes with the scape, and removing the threat of rocks/corals being tipped would be beneficial
- Adding corals is often difficult and frustrating, due to the limited area. I want more colorful lps but it’s not easy to find long term spaces
- The overhang rock eliminates about a third of sandbed space and potential for lps corals.
- The corals look good where they are as frags, but continue to overgrow their areas (for example, sinularia is getting too big and often gets stung)
- Xenia should ideally have its own island, but the main rock structure being in the center causes extra islands to be impractical.
- Cleaning the glass is simply inconvenient. There’s a whole area that I cannot reach because the rock is too close to the wall.

If I could work with my current scape, I’d love suggestions, because I definitely love how it looks, just not how it is working out. Aesthetically, I feel as though it is perfect, and needs no more details, but am uncertain of what will happen when corals start to grow and touch, stinging each other. The top rock being unstable also bugs me. To reinforce the structure with putty I’d probably have to move the top rock, and at that point, I feel like I should completely change it’s position.

If I could somehow fix the top rock problem, should certain corals be moved around to help open space for future pieces? To add more color to the tank, are there any species you would suggest, and if so, where should they go? I love the natural color in my reef but only some zoas, GSP, a leather, and my trumpet stand out in blue lighting.

In short, I love my scape’s appearance but feel as though it has become far too inconvenient, especially in the long run. I’m of the opinion that rearranging to an island scape would allow for more corals and open sandbed, and then I could use frag rubble to create small arches. I’d like to keep the “busy reef” look that my system currently has, but equally want a more open area to play with in the future. So what are your thoughts? Should I change it up, or work with what I have? If you think the current setup works, what suggestions do you have to open it up a little?

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AC10A006-ABE8-46DA-B540-012AAC38BE6C.jpeg

The top rock has always been precariously placed, and has tipped many times. It’s only a matter of time until a coral is crushed.

Nice tank!

I’m a lifetime scape changer. I find it’s part of the fun but once I settle on the perfect scape for me, I won’t change it. That hasn’t happened in 20+ years.... ;)

Your statement that the top rock is precarious would make the decision easy for me. You don’t want that falling and cracking the glass. At the least you should shore it up.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone with more aquascaping experience have a suggestion for how I can make my current live rocks an even better scape? One issue is that I can’t imagine how it would wind up unless I just do it. Which is equally why I’m reluctant to do so.

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone with more aquascaping experience have a suggestion for how I can make my current live rocks an even better scape? One issue is that I can’t imagine how it would wind up unless I just do it. Which is equally why I’m reluctant to do so.
I draw it on paper. And really think about it and look at other examples of similar tank sizes.

off the top of my head with your setup, 3 larger rocks, I’d be inclined to have all 3 on the ground forming a U shape with a cove like feel. Then you could maybe add one or two smaller rocks as bridges between the three big ones.

I’d keep them in the same order. Large one on right. Medium heigh in middle and the left one I’d turn on its side so it slopes down. The whole feel is a general slope downwards from the overflow end.

just as an idea.

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you secured the top rock with adhesive or anything?
About to ask the same thing. My Aquascape always tipped over and completely fell apart until I glued it. Now it’s strong enough to not fall asleep in a bad earthquake

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I draw it on paper. And really think about it and look at other examples of similar tank sizes.

off the top of my head with your setup, 3 larger rocks, I’d be inclined to have all 3 on the ground forming a U shape with a cove like feel. Then you could maybe add one or two smaller rocks as bridges between the three big ones.

I’d keep them in the same order. Large one on right. Medium heigh in middle and the left one I’d turn on its side so it slopes down. The whole feel is a general slope downwards from the overflow end.

just as an idea.
Only thing I can really think about with the draw it on paper deal is that you’d become unsatisfied from how you’d want it to look on paper than just going with it and tinkering.

Rocks aren’t picture perfect and there will always be a something you didn’t expect to fit or look good or bad and you just have to play with it. There are pros and cons to any scape (some have more than others) but it’s just creating the scape that makes more goods than bads. Most of your issues can be fixed with some brs extra thick glue in a tube or any other underwater glue but just know that not all of your issues will be fixed by moving a scape. If your current scape is near and dear to your heart (which it seems like it is), keep it and modify it. I hope all this makes sense and good luck. I Aquascaped underwater so this is just my experience.

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I can really think about with the draw it on paper deal is that you’d become unsatisfied from how you’d want it to look on paper than just going with it and tinkering.

Rocks aren’t picture perfect and there will always be a something you didn’t expect to fit or look good or bad and you just have to play with it. There are pros and cons to any scape (some have more than others) but it’s just creating the scape that makes more goods than bads. Most of your issues can be fixed with some brs extra thick glue in a tube or any other underwater glue but just know that not all of your issues will be fixed by moving a scape. If your current scape is near and dear to your heart (which it seems like it is), keep it and modify it. I hope all this makes sense and good luck. I Aquascaped underwater so this is just my experience.
Yup. The drawing just gives you a general idea of shapes and contours.

my tank being 300g doesn’t really lend itself to major in tank rescaping. ;) I have to take it out, do the scape in the garage and then put it back. It’s a whole day affair just for half the tank!

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when I initially drew a plan for my scape, but was disappointed when petco only had those giant rocks, limiting my options. Now I can probably run to the lfs and pick up the exact dry rock I’d need to fill it in and make it work...
Later, I’ll make a couple sketches based on all your useful tips, and hopefully get an idea of what I want when I go to the lfs next week.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

just as an idea.
I like this idea. I definitely initially wanted a cove, so maybe I’ll now revisit it.

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here’s front views. Red indicates newly bought rocks.

Original:
B88BB720-3388-4682-92AF-52D178336A97.jpeg

New:
16E2101F-74F0-430D-9F07-1AA3ABA16C73.jpeg

Thoughts?

I like the new design. It also has the benefit of giving you more height to grow stuff in the middle.

if it were me, The red rock in middle bottom would be a showpiece clam. :D

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the new design. It also has the benefit of giving you more height to grow stuff in the middle.

if it were me, The red rock in middle bottom would be a showpiece clam. :D
Cool idea! I don’t have the confidence to keep a clam alive though...

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back