Show me your flow!

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by Fr4nkthet4nk, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Fr4nkthet4nk

Fr4nkthet4nk Active Member

I want to see different videos about Low, Medium and High flow in your tanks and pump placement.

2. mcarroll

mcarroll Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Flow is notoriously invisible. ;)

Not only that, but it's also prohibitively expensive to measure. ($x,xxx+)

This vid gives the best visuals of flow I'm aware of AND it shows actual flow (velocity) measurements for some popular pumps.

3. Gareth elliott

Gareth elliott Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

Seems like an interesting diy project lol.
    Maybe a fan and a light break sensor and an audrino.
    Take the number and multiply by the width of the tank. Problem would be what do you do with that information?

Using commercial versions of these researches have found a 15x difference on the same reef outcrop depending on exposed or unexposed to the current. Where do you measure from in your home reef?

4. mcarroll

That was my point – we don't. :p

(All of those measurements are interesting and potentially relevant.....check out Oceanic Forcing of Coral Reefs.)

5. Gareth elliott

Gareth elliott Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

Looks interesting will read when at a computer, thats a lot of numbers for an iphone lol
    As the OPs original question. I currently use 3 hydors on their wavemaker. 2 facing each other the other pointed at the back glass crating a diagonal cross flow. But yesterday finally picked my upgrade with currents eflux loop system, can synchronize a gyre without an apex. Plan is 2 facing each other on synchronized surge mode. Will update how that actually works on friday when they arrive. I cant measure flow currently but hoping the more random flow of dc pumps will show a benefit over on/off ac pumps.

6. Fr4nkthet4nk

Fr4nkthet4nk Active Member

Nice video. I would like to see the flow heating different kind of corals in your tank.

mcarroll likes this.
  7. mcarroll

True. But short of that, check out that "Oceanic forcing..." doc I linked.

It will give you plenty of insight on that aspect IMO.

Fr4nkthet4nk likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted