OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys pull off the back vinyl without scratching or damaging the glass at all? If you leave a strip down the middle to hide the overflow/pipes, etc. did you use an exacto knife or something to cut that strip? Does it leave a groove or scratch? Guess I'm a bit terrified to start defacing this thing right out of the box... even if it will look better in the end!

Just simply use a straight edge and a razor blade. It may leave a scratch, but just make sure to do it so it's right on the inside edge of the black silicone. This way you would never see the scratch from the front.... and who cares of you can see it from the back. If you are worried about it, you could simply pull the entire film off and then go back and add a new strip where the overflow is!

What is NSW?

Natural SeaWater

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just simply use a straight edge and a razor blade. It may leave a scratch, but just make sure to do it so it's right on the inside edge of the black silicone. This way you would never see the scratch from the front.... and who cares of you can see it from the back. If you are worried about it, you could simply pull the entire film off and then go back and add a new strip where the overflow is!

It went very smoothly -- black backing is officially gone (except for the strip hiding the overflow) : )

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It went very smoothly -- black backing is officially gone (except for the strip hiding the overflow) : )

Sweet! It looks like I started a movement lol.

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! It looks like I started a movement lol.

I guess I won't mention that your return mod is also on the tank already... Then it would sound like I'm some drone that's been activated to replicate Broadfield's RedSea tanks... Nope, not going to mention that, at all :eek:

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I won't mention that your return mod is also on the tank already... Then it would sound like I'm some drone that's been activated to replicate Broadfield's RedSea tanks... Nope, not going to mention that, at all :eek:

Hahaha, well I'm flattered.

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I use that same sand in my 50 cube and on rare occasions it's gotten into my mp10 but that's rare and I've never had it get into my magnetic cleaner. I recently got my redsea reefer xl 525 and I plan on using the black sand again in it, I like it cause it's true black unlike some other brands and the corals pop like no other when on the sand bottom.
do you have PH issues in your 50 cube?

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!!
I've got high nitrates and I'm thinking of putting a bio-ceramic plate in my 250 baffle. I measured but not accurately ~1.5" which is the width of the 250 baffle and Brightwell Xport plate. Does anyone know if this will fit in the baffle? I could also go with Bio-Pure brand which is 1" thick. Can you cut this stuff with a saw? How? I would have to leave a space for pods to get through. I will look for Youtube videos on the subject.

InRod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv got a ? My Mag just read 1340 Red Sea said 1 ml would raise per ppm by 1 what would my number look like? 1341?

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!!
I've got high nitrates and I'm thinking of putting a bio-ceramic plate in my 250 baffle. I measured but not accurately ~1.5" which is the width of the 250 baffle and Brightwell Xport plate. Does anyone know if this will fit in the baffle? I could also go with Bio-Pure brand which is 1" thick. Can you cut this stuff with a saw? How? I would have to leave a space for pods to get through. I will look for Youtube videos on the subject.
@pelphrey, I saw your video on Marine Pure. I just ordered a 1" plate from BRS. I was afraid the the Brightwell at 1.5" would be too tight of a fit and if the stuff swells at all it could be a problem, plus the Marine Pure is cheaper.

Last edited:

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pelphrey, I saw your video on Marine Pure. I just ordered a 1" plate from BRS. I was afraid the the Brightwell at 1.5" would be too tight of a fit and if the stuff swells at all it could be a problem, plus the Marine Pure is cheaper.

It is good stuff, I pulled it out of my system awhile back. Only because I cut my block to fit into the skimmer/return divider and didn't like the particles coming off of the section I cut. It was really a none issue and I should have left it alone! haha

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because I like to tinker with the tank! All the way from Australia!

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first I thought your post said Discus instead of Discuss. I was afraid you had become a freshly. LOL

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because I like to tinker with the tank! All the way from Australia!

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

Definitely want to see how these work. Link to where you got them? What do plan on putting in them, just filter floss?

I was thinking of a DIY of something similar using pvc.

Side note @pelphrey I had got that Tunze holder a while back after you mentioned it but found it unusable. Doesn't hold the Tunze pump. If you can show a couple of pics how you're using it.

Last edited:

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely want to see how these work. Link to where you got them? What do plan on putting in them, just filter floss?

I was thinking of a DIY of something similar using pvc.

Side note @pelphrey I had got that Tunze holder a while back after you mentioned it but found it unusable. Doesn't hold the Tunze pump. If you can show a couple of pics how you're using it.

Do these help? My holder keeps my pump straight up just fine.

Before.jpeg

After.jpeg

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No PH issues for me, my cube has been up and running for about 4 years now.
nice, i struggle for that 8.3-8.4 sweet spot and have been told its due to the black sand and not running a fuge. do you run one?

trahelyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I took the valve apart to clean it, I was sort of surprised at the diaphragm-type mechanism they use. It seems unnecessarily unusual to me. Because it takes such a big turn of the knob to get anything to change, my pet theory is that the two sides of the diaphragm stick together. Seems like a design flaw to me. I wonder why they didn't use a gate valve to begin with. Maybe if I switch to one I will find out that it's noisy.

At any rate, I sent in a support ticket. I'm way outside the warranty period (why did I just live with this for so long?), but I asked if they would comp the replacement part anyway.

Holy cow, a replacement for that valve is $70, and that's at a discount they offered because they felt so bad for me. I opted instead for a barb fitting so I can put in a gate valve. That one fitting was $17 plus $14 shipping. I guess... because they can?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 63 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back