miniChou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, now i'm concerned.. I'm doing about 200ml a day into my 250. And oddly enough, my alk isn't going higher.

I've calibrated the doser, so it's dosing what it's supposed to. I'm wondering what's going on.

I'm testing with a Hanna checker, and I had my LFS test the water too. It's in the ballpark...
You should check out this video from BRS. It talks to this issue very well and has a process to fix it.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video...lutions-but-the-levels-are-actually-dropping/

jairus45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joining the reefer family lol. After my previous tank cracked 2 weeks ago and i lost all my sps and now my fish , my Reefer XL425 arrived yesterday and im almost done setting it up. Just need to hook up return pump, add sand, then my scape and fill. So far i got everything and just need to pick up some flexy hose later then its party on lol.
9f005fdfeccde51cf949e6367d0d1d36.jpg

ketchup318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine dosing on the hour, about 8.3ml each time. On the BRS calculator, it says I need about 170ml to raise it from 7.0 to 10. I guess that's where I got the amount from... but oddly enough, I've never been neat 10dkh... it just hovers around 7.6-7.8.

Just saw the BRS video... and seems to match all my symptoms. I don't know I never figured this out. Thanks a lot minichou.

Last edited:

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine dosing on the hour, about 8.3ml each time. On the BRS calculator, it says I need about 170ml to raise it from 7.0 to 10. I guess that's where I got the amount from... but oddly enough, I've never been neat 10dkh... it just hovers around 7.6-7.8.

Just saw the BRS video... and seems to match all my symptoms. I don't know I never figured this out. Thanks a lot minichou.
Do you have both dosing at the same time on the hour? They should be spread out, have one dose on the hour and the other on the half hour if you are dosing 8.3ml of each at a time.

trahelyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, ya'll. I wonder if anybody can offer any advice. I've had a Reefer 350 running for about two years now, and I have had to adjust the return flow valve EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. since the first day I put water in the tank. It's gotten worse over time, and now I have to make a major adjustment (more than 20 degrees) multiple times per day. I have cleaned the valve, and I have replaced my return pump to rule out variance in the return volume. I'm pulling my hair out. I want to scream. Sometimes I do scream. I've tried making little tiny adjustments and then waiting 10 minutes and then making another tiny adjustment and then waiting 10 minutes and I can do this over and over for hours and it won't change the level of the return. It only responds if I make a huge adjustment and then try to put it back where it was. Even then, I generally end up with the valve in a very different place than it was when it was level just a few hours ago.

This has been making me so crazy for so long I've actually considered tearing down the tank over it. I tried to tear out the valve altogether and replace it with a gate valve, but of course I can't find any fittings to attach to the return pipe.

Does anybody have a suggestion before I just throw a stick of dynamite in there?

Trey302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, ya'll. I wonder if anybody can offer any advice. I've had a Reefer 350 running for about two years now, and I have had to adjust the return flow valve EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. since the first day I put water in the tank. It's gotten worse over time, and now I have to make a major adjustment (more than 20 degrees) multiple times per day. I have cleaned the valve, and I have replaced my return pump to rule out variance in the return volume. I'm pulling my hair out. I want to scream. Sometimes I do scream. I've tried making little tiny adjustments and then waiting 10 minutes and then making another tiny adjustment and then waiting 10 minutes and I can do this over and over for hours and it won't change the level of the return. It only responds if I make a huge adjustment and then try to put it back where it was. Even then, I generally end up with the valve in a very different place than it was when it was level just a few hours ago.

This has been making me so crazy for so long I've actually considered tearing down the tank over it. I tried to tear out the valve altogether and replace it with a gate valve, but of course I can't find any fittings to attach to the return pipe.

Does anybody have a suggestion before I just throw a stick of dynamite in there?

I had the same problem with the original valve that came with my 250. I didn't have to adjust mine as much as you but at least once or twice a week the water level in the overflow would just randomly change for no apparent reason. Especially after I cut off the return pump for any reason I would always have to adjust the valve. I contacted Red Sea and they sent me a new return valve which has helped a lot but hasn't completely fixed the issue. Now about once or twice a month I might have to make a minor adjustment but that's it.

I would contact them and see if you can get a replacement valve and see if that helps. Other than that I guess plumbing in a gate valve would be the next best option.

trahelyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with the original valve that came with my 250. I didn't have to adjust mine as much as you but at least once or twice a week the water level in the overflow would just randomly change for no apparent reason. Especially after I cut off the return pump for any reason I would always have to adjust the valve. I contacted Red Sea and they sent me a new return valve which has helped a lot but hasn't completely fixed the issue. Now about once or twice a month I might have to make a minor adjustment but that's it.

I would contact them and see if you can get a replacement valve and see if that helps. Other than that I guess plumbing in a gate valve would be the next best option.

When I took the valve apart to clean it, I was sort of surprised at the diaphragm-type mechanism they use. It seems unnecessarily unusual to me. Because it takes such a big turn of the knob to get anything to change, my pet theory is that the two sides of the diaphragm stick together. Seems like a design flaw to me. I wonder why they didn't use a gate valve to begin with. Maybe if I switch to one I will find out that it's noisy.

At any rate, I sent in a support ticket. I'm way outside the warranty period (why did I just live with this for so long?), but I asked if they would comp the replacement part anyway.

Trey302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I took the valve apart to clean it, I was sort of surprised at the diaphragm-type mechanism they use. It seems unnecessarily unusual to me. Because it takes such a big turn of the knob to get anything to change, my pet theory is that the two sides of the diaphragm stick together. Seems like a design flaw to me. I wonder why they didn't use a gate valve to begin with. Maybe if I switch to one I will find out that it's noisy.

At any rate, I sent in a support ticket. I'm way outside the warranty period (why did I just live with this for so long?), but I asked if they would comp the replacement part anyway.

I never even bothered to take mine apart to clean it because it did it from the time I set the tank up. One thing with my original valve was the resistance when you turned the knob was never consistent. There were spots that had little resistance when you turned it which is why I believe mine never held properly. The new valve has the same amount of resistance when you turn it so I'm guessing that's why it works much better.

Hopefully that will help yours because when it doesn't work right it's enough to drive you crazy! And hopefully they will cover the cost since it's been doing it this whole time. I made sure to tell them that when I contacted them but mine was within the first year so I'm sure mine would have been covered anyway.

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use the Super Naturals black sand from Carib sea?
i think it was called Tahitian Moon... but same difference. my only warning, some of it is magnetic. so be very careful if using a magnetic cleaner. i will get caught between the cleaner and the glass and will scratch it.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re: Red Sea valve.

Mine was the same way for about three weeks. After adding salt and starting the cycle it sort of broke in and would hold the water level constant. One thing I did do was also adjust the clear press on cup on the drain line. Raising it helped with the air siphon.

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled the back vinyl off my new 425xl today. Thanks @Broadfield for the encouragement. Totally feels wrong when you are doing it, but sure is nice once it is done. I left a strip down the middle to help hide the pipes. Looks great even with a brown wall behind it. Probably will paint the wall a white-is color before water goes in the tank. Thought about putting some sort of frosted paper, but now i am thinking it might not need it given i like the look as-is.

How do you guys pull off the back vinyl without scratching or damaging the glass at all? If you leave a strip down the middle to hide the overflow/pipes, etc. did you use an exacto knife or something to cut that strip? Does it leave a groove or scratch? Guess I'm a bit terrified to start defacing this thing right out of the box... even if it will look better in the end!

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think it was called Tahitian Moon... but same difference. my only warning, some of it is magnetic. so be very careful if using a magnetic cleaner. i will get caught between the cleaner and the glass and will scratch it.

Yeah, I use that same sand in my 50 cube and on rare occasions it's gotten into my mp10 but that's rare and I've never had it get into my magnetic cleaner. I recently got my redsea reefer xl 525 and I plan on using the black sand again in it, I like it cause it's true black unlike some other brands and the corals pop like no other when on the sand bottom.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.4%
Back