alexnyc22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow, a replacement for that valve is $70, and that's at a discount they offered because they felt so bad for me. I opted instead for a barb fitting so I can put in a gate valve. That one fitting was $17 plus $14 shipping. I guess... because they can?

Ball valve works just as well

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, ya'll. I wonder if anybody can offer any advice. I've had a Reefer 350 running for about two years now, and I have had to adjust the return flow valve EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. since the first day I put water in the tank. It's gotten worse over time, and now I have to make a major adjustment (more than 20 degrees) multiple times per day. I have cleaned the valve, and I have replaced my return pump to rule out variance in the return volume. I'm pulling my hair out. I want to scream. Sometimes I do scream. I've tried making little tiny adjustments and then waiting 10 minutes and then making another tiny adjustment and then waiting 10 minutes and I can do this over and over for hours and it won't change the level of the return. It only responds if I make a huge adjustment and then try to put it back where it was. Even then, I generally end up with the valve in a very different place than it was when it was level just a few hours ago.

This has been making me so crazy for so long I've actually considered tearing down the tank over it. I tried to tear out the valve altogether and replace it with a gate valve, but of course I can't find any fittings to attach to the return pipe.

Does anybody have a suggestion before I just throw a stick of dynamite in there?
My system does not seem to have the issues you describe but I do adjust the flow a tiny bit quite often. I almost forgot that I put a little piece of egg crate in the return to break up the vortex over the main drain; does not impede the flow just prevents the vortex from forming and making a slurping noise. With out it would almost always make noise.
I am running a Vector M1 at maximum which is double the recommended flow. I have attributed the adjustment issues to the increases flow. I have read somewhere about the "Herbie" design and the difference in height between the main and overflow was quite a bit more than what RedSea has implemented. I wonder if RedSea were a bit conservative in the design.
It will be interesting to see if the gate valve provides better stability. Mr. Broadfield indicated it basically worked the same in his system. When I get the motivation to clean the valve I'll be inclined to replace it with a standard gate valve, probably the ones with unions if possible.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had pretty good luck with the Red Sea valve... but I did have to adjust it every rare once in awhile. I never adjust my gate valve.... works flawless!

alexnyc22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had pretty good luck with the Red Sea valve... but I did have to adjust it every rare once in awhile. I never adjust my gate valve.... works flawless!

Yea I’m looking forward to the gate valve I’m installing on my system too haha mine decides to have a temper tantrum every once in a while and go crazy

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pelphrey can you post the link to those filter canisters?

couple questions about them...

how long did it take to get them from Australia?
what are you going to put in them? just filter floss?

I'm now running without any filter socks.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pelphrey can you post the link to those filter canisters?

couple questions about them...

how long did it take to get them from Australia?
what are you going to put in them? just filter floss?

I'm now running without any filter socks.

I got them from Anything Acrylic on Facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/Anything-Acrylic-649130998554613/?ref=br_rs ). They shipped out last Monday and I received them yesterday, so just over a week. I had to wait a few weeks for them to make some more. I'll more then likely just put my pond matrix in them. May run a piece of floss on top from time to time, I've been running without filter socks for a few weeks.

jairus45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got them from Anything Acrylic on Facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/Anything-Acrylic-649130998554613/?ref=br_rs ). They shipped out last Monday and I received them yesterday, so just over a week. I had to wait a few weeks for them to make some more. I'll more then likely just put my pond matrix in them. May run a piece of floss on top from time to time, I've been running without filter socks for a few weeks.
His prices are pretty good and his quality is top notch. I got my quote from him today for a few goodies

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice, i struggle for that 8.3-8.4 sweet spot and have been told its due to the black sand and not running a fuge. do you run one?

I do not run a fuge and I use the B-ionic 2 part to which I'll dose part A like once or twice a week at 10ml and that keeps my ph around 8.3 using a hanna ph checker plus.

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to pull the trigger on this 525xl as I couldn't turn down the price I got it for. Now to start putting together an equipment list!

IMG_9628 (002).JPG

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some of the door magnets for Reefer 450 cabinet. Has anyone purchased any after market ones that would work? If so, which ones did you get?

If not I need to contact Red Sea for some replacements.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some of the door magnets for Reefer 450 cabinet. Has anyone purchased any after market ones that would work? If so, which ones did you get?

If not I need to contact Red Sea for some replacements.

I use magnetic child locks in place of the standards that came with the cabinet. Simply because I need to keep my kids out!

http://amzn.to/2vLOTC1

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who has the Neptune FMK setup on their reefer? I am thinking about getting the module and sensors, the only issue I see is getting the actual sensor setup. I don't think I can fit a union on the plumbing without it pushing the plumbing away from the cabinet. Which would create a problem connecting it to the tank!

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R
IMG_9949.jpg
eplacement hardware for the stand just arrived (at 5:31 on the dot -- and RedSea closes at 4:30 CT), and while they sent a whole new box of hardware, I am STILL missing part 'R' -- it's 2 tiny looking dowels, I don't want to put the stand together if I don't have all the pieces. If I use anything else to build the stand, they'll void the warranty, right?

I was missing multiple parts in the first shipment, now I'm just missing both 'R' pieces... but it still means I can't build the stupid thing. Anyone else have problems with RedSea like this?

Or anyone who has built a RedSea stand recently -- do you remember what that part looked like or still have it unassembled so I can take a look at that one part?

Last edited:

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who has the Neptune FMK setup on their reefer? I am thinking about getting the module and sensors, the only issue I see is getting the actual sensor setup. I don't think I can fit a union on the plumbing without it pushing the plumbing away from the cabinet. Which would create a problem connecting it to the tank!

I have it setup on my tank. But I put it on a section away from the wall.

Overview:
120f79566d0b76c9c0e8d70f81436119.jpg

Zoom in to the FMK:
9040304358b113b5ca75d024c0520d64.jpg

The smaller FMKs on my reactors.
e122bbb682c49945e42052d7f06f8e78.jpg

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R
IMG_9949.jpg
eplacement hardware for the stand just arrived (at 5:31 on the dot -- and RedSea closes at 4:30 CT), and while they sent a whole new box of hardware, I am STILL missing part 'R' -- it's 2 tiny looking dowels, but they're the 1st part needed to put the stand together. If I use anything else to build the stand, they'll void the warranty, right?

I was missing multiple parts in the first shipment, now I'm just missing both 'R' pieces... but it still means I can't build the stupid thing. Anyone else have problems with RedSea like this?

Or anyone who has built a RedSea stand recently -- do you remember what that part looked like or still have it unassembled so I can take a look at that one part?
Part R is already installed on the triangle bracket at the bottom. They snap on and off. Threw me off too at first. Your good to go!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back