1bitereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dozen socks and change them out every 4-7 days. I have two clear acrylic bins(Large Kritter Keeper - https://www.petsolutions.com/C/Hams...MI-uOZ5Z2W1wIV2bjACh14_wqsEAQYBSABEgIrRfD_BwE) that sit on a shelf in my laundry room... one for clean socks and another for dirty socks. When I need to change out the socks, I grab two clean ones and then bring the dirty bin to the sump with me. I pull the dirty ones out of the sump and into the dirty bin they go. I then put the dirty bin back on the shelf... this takes all of 60 seconds. And no, the bin does not stink up the laundry room at all... you literally cannot smell it. Then once I get down to the last 2 clean ones, I pop those in the sump and toss the 10 dirty ones into the washing machine. It's virtually zero work. No mess, no fuss. I replace those 12 socks, with new ones, once/year. The only ones that last that long seem to be the ones from Premium Aquatics. I've tried the ones from BRS, Marine Depot and ones of off Amazon... none of them last near as long as the Premium Aquatics.

Now if you live in an apartment and don't have easy access to a washing machine or don't have a place to store the dirty socks like I do, then the filter floss in a perforated cup may work out better. But for me I just don't see how I can shave much off of that 60 seconds lol.

As for the trays still sliding out with the 4" socks, you would also need to cut/grind down the sides of the black tray holder.... thus making the opening in the tray holder the same width as the sock ring.

Large Kritter Keeper.jpg
That’s a huge help, thanks I’ll order some more socks with my next order. I think I’ll call Red Sea and order new draws in case I mess it up. But I like the idea of the bins in the laundry room.

Derek Clifford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to add a an ATO mod refugium to my 350. Is the additional volume worth it? its going to be bare bottom with chaeto.
I have aprox 19 litres of algae area in the sump already and want to add to ot for triton.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to add a an ATO mod refugium to my 350. Is the additional volume worth it? its going to be bare bottom with chaeto.
I have aprox 19 litres of algae area in the sump already and want to add to ot for triton.

If you’re doing it for volume, no not really worth it. You’re talking like 3% for volume. Negligible increase. But as a place to have a ton of chaeto or a cool mini display, sure why not.

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dozen socks and change them out every 4-7 days. I have two clear acrylic bins(Large Kritter Keeper - https://www.petsolutions.com/C/Hams...MI-uOZ5Z2W1wIV2bjACh14_wqsEAQYBSABEgIrRfD_BwE) that sit on a shelf in my laundry room... one for clean socks and another for dirty socks. When I need to change out the socks, I grab two clean ones and then bring the dirty bin to the sump with me. I pull the dirty ones out of the sump and into the dirty bin they go. I then put the dirty bin back on the shelf... this takes all of 60 seconds. And no, the bin does not stink up the laundry room at all... you literally cannot smell it. Then once I get down to the last 2 clean ones, I pop those in the sump and toss the 10 dirty ones into the washing machine. It's virtually zero work. No mess, no fuss. I replace those 12 socks, with new ones, once/year. The only ones that last that long seem to be the ones from Premium Aquatics. I've tried the ones from BRS, Marine Depot and ones of off Amazon... none of them last near as long as the Premium Aquatics.

Now if you live in an apartment and don't have easy access to a washing machine or don't have a place to store the dirty socks like I do, then the filter floss in a perforated cup may work out better. But for me I just don't see how I can shave much off of that 60 seconds lol.

As for the trays still sliding out with the 4" socks, you would also need to cut/grind down the sides of the black tray holder.... thus making the opening in the tray holder the same width as the sock ring.

Large Kritter Keeper.jpg

Yep! Me too....they pile up in the laundry room and I've never had an issue with "She who must be obeyed" ;) When I'm down to one ...I put them in the washer set on Sanitary (high heat) with bleach and a double rinse. I take them out and soak them in RODI overnight and let them air dry....good to go!

Loganberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i want to hard pipe my return. Vectra m1. Im using 25mm stuff. What exactly do i need at the pump end to convert to 25mm? Cheers.

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Artfullyacryllic.com makes beautiful lids. That’s what I plan to order for my 525 XL. I do understand the leadtime is long, so in the meantime you could get a DIY kit from BRS, or just go down to Home Depot and get some windows screening and lay it across the top with a few plastic potato chip bag clips in the corners temporarily.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a clownfish jump out today. Luckily I was sitting near the tank, heard a weird noise, and saved him.

So... time to get a lid for when I'm not home. Any suggestions? I've heard @ArtFully Acrylic makes nice ones, but the lead time is really bad.

I got mine from @ArtFully Acrylic and I like it even after about a year of use. No real issues at all. @cromag08 (Octo Aquatics) also makes these types of lids, though out of a different type of acrylic material, so they arent as flexible as the ones from Artfully Acrylic. Either one can suit your needs in a nice lid that doesnt take away from the rimless look. I dont have one from Octo, but the other items coming out of that shop are first rate in quality, so I wouldnt hesitate a purchase from them either.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, they even copied the material I use!

I got mine from @ArtFully Acrylic and I like it even after about a year of use. No real issues at all. @cromag08 (Octo Aquatics) also makes these types of lids, though out of a different type of acrylic material, so they arent as flexible as the ones from Artfully Acrylic. Either one can suit your needs in a nice lid that doesnt take away from the rimless look. I dont have one from Octo, but the other items coming out of that shop are first rate in quality, so I wouldnt hesitate a purchase from them either.

drkcurrent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is anyone running triton core 7 on a 250? Just getting mine going after a move and looking moving to the triton system with a custom fuge

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those using the RFG from @Vivid Creative Aquatics, do you guys also get vortexes into the nozzle? I have tons of microbubbles shooting through the nozzle from multiple constant vortexes going into it. I also use a herbie drain, and it seems like the flow coming through is considerably less than before (overflow isn't even close to being full). I guess it creates a lot of back pressure.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those using the RFG from @Vivid Creative Aquatics, do you guys also get vortexes into the nozzle? I have tons of microbubbles shooting through the nozzle from multiple constant vortexes going into it. I also use a herbie drain, and it seems like the flow coming through is considerably less than before (overflow isn't even close to being full). I guess it creates a lot of back pressure.

No issues from mine. They do need to be under the water line a bit to keep from sucking in water. I did have some issues initially because my powerheads were causing the waterline to fluctuate and the ripples would cause the water level to be variable enough that I could get air in the lines occasionally. Moving the power head a bit and addings another locline link fixed the problem for me. Once I got the drop adapter, I havent had any issues at all - even when the power was out. :D

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I've had my reefer 350 running for a while now and everything is going well. However, I do have a lot of cyano on different areas of the sand bed. It's a mixed reef so I do have some SPS. I am starting to wonder if my flow is not efficient enough though. I have a varios 6 return and I run it on max. I also have two powerheads which are hydor koralia 1050's in each back corner of the tank pointing towards the middle front of the tank. Is this enough flow or did I overlook this component of the tank?

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues from mine. They do need to be under the water line a bit to keep from sucking in water. I did have some issues initially because my powerheads were causing the waterline to fluctuate and the ripples would cause the water level to be variable enough that I could get air in the lines occasionally. Moving the power head a bit and addings another locline link fixed the problem for me. Once I got the drop adapter, I havent had any issues at all - even when the power was out. :D

The extra locline is to just extend the nozzle even further below the waterline?

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I've had my reefer 350 running for a while now and everything is going well. However, I do have a lot of cyano on different areas of the sand bed. It's a mixed reef so I do have some SPS. I am starting to wonder if my flow is not efficient enough though. I have a varios 6 return and I run it on max. I also have two powerheads which are hydor koralia 1050's in each back corner of the tank pointing towards the middle front of the tank. Is this enough flow or did I overlook this component of the tank?

Probably not enough flow hitting the actual sand bed. It's a tough one, because you need a balance between flow on the sand, and not blowing it over into a dune. I've heard of using larger grain sand on the top layer to help with that. I'm using Tropic Eden Mesoflakes, which does a pretty good job at staying put, but I'm thinking of getting a layer of ReefFlakes on top of that just so I can turn up the flow even more.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put in my order for an Octo Lid with @cromag08! He's super responsive and ordering went smoothly. I'll update soon. In case there are any RSR 170 users out there looking for some ideas, here's my cutout diagram of the top of my tank I crudely made + the rendering from @cromag08

As you can see, I'm going to have a cutout for the overflow and my Neptune AFS w/ BuildingAnObsession feeding station.

38045875196_59965a1b22_c.jpg

chang.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back