AMEE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the Varios-2 at 50% on my 170, that's with zero manifold. A straight shot from return to tank. It's a great pump, highly recommended. If doing a manifold, recommendation for larger pump isn't a bad idea.

I did a homemade macro-alage reactor. I wish I had space for a proper fuge, the NYOS takes up alot of space.

I don’t have anything running off my turn pump either. I have a reef octopus 110ss, it’s small enough I’m actually trying to figure out how to make a decent refugium down there.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have anything running off my turn pump either. I have a reef octopus 110ss, it’s small enough I’m actually trying to figure out how to make a decent refugium down there.

Any reason why you want a refugium over a chaeto reactor? IMO a reactor is so much easier to do and has less problems with the sump getting a ton of algae growth (including skimmer body and tubes).

The_Salty_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried to run MP-10's on the back of their Red Sea 350+? I know that the back glass is 1/2 inch and that MP-10s are rated for up to 10mm glass, but was wondering if anyone has had success doing it.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried to run MP-10's on the back of their Red Sea 350+? I know that the back glass is 1/2 inch and that MP-10s are rated for up to 10mm glass, but was wondering if anyone has had success doing it.

Everyone I've heard has not had success with the MP-10's. They're louder too at the extreme. I'd suggest getting MP-40's.

AMEE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason why you want a refugium over a chaeto reactor? IMO a reactor is so much easier to do and has less problems with the sump getting a ton of algae growth (including skimmer body and tubes).

I’m actually not against it. Idk if it was in this thread i posted but I’m actually looking into all my options I want a natural way of nutrient export. I’m not having crazy algae problems, mine actually got better after I took my carbon/gfo reactor offline. What do you recommend dyi algae reactor?

johnnyk731

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m actually not against it. Idk if it was in this thread i posted but I’m actually looking into all my options I want a natural way of nutrient export. I’m not having crazy algae problems, mine actually got better after I took my carbon/gfo reactor offline. What do you recommend dyi algae reactor?

https://www.aquaticwarehouse.com/filtration/-media-reactors?product_id=770

Look into this I run one and it’s outstanding best one for the cost!
27f1f8f95e7e560097d8e074ac340d94.jpg

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
VarioS pumps are a great choice (I use them) but the 2 might be slightly undersized. You can run it 100% and it'll probably do its job, but I'd recommend a VarioS-4 (which is what I use). I'm currently on 68% (using VDM and Apex Jr. to control it) and it's super quiet and efficient. I use a VarioS-2 at about 60% to put water through my carbon, chaeto reactor, and chiller, and I don't think I'd have the luxury of using the full range of the pump.

I decided against going for a refugium and just put an algae reactor together. More space in the sump means it's easier to maintain for me.

How long have you been running the Varios? I was running an 8 for 2 months until it started making a crazy noise. They wouldn’t fix it - said it’s because I was using 3/4 plumbing.

Katieandjon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ergh! The ATO on the reefers are the only thing I don’t like! 3 times in the last few weeks it’s stopped dripping the RO in, despite the reservoir being full. Think either something is blocking the pipe or the float is getting stuck. This morning there was only 2” water in the return chamber, luckily just enough to cover the return pump nozzle, but I mean just! Another cm and we’d be in trouble!!

New ATO system ordered and arriving Tuesday. 85L container will live in the cupboard under the stairs and connect directly to the return chamber meaning we can also get rid of the reservoir and get a bit more room in the sump!

patoko878

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a JBJ ATO and it’s the worst. Always have to manually move the float switch to activate the pump

alexnyc22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ergh! The ATO on the reefers are the only thing I don’t like! 3 times in the last few weeks it’s stopped dripping the RO in, despite the reservoir being full. Think either something is blocking the pipe or the float is getting stuck. This morning there was only 2” water in the return chamber, luckily just enough to cover the return pump nozzle, but I mean just! Another cm and we’d be in trouble!!

New ATO system ordered and arriving Tuesday. 85L container will live in the cupboard under the stairs and connect directly to the return chamber meaning we can also get rid of the reservoir and get a bit more room in the sump!

I got rid of the reservoir, got a separate reservoir and I use the apex ATO kit and it works beautifully

flowflezy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess what guys I’m upgrading my redsea 170 to A 350.
Equipment I will be using please chime in.
M1 Vectra pump
Somatic skimmer or Omega Vertex
BRS GFO reactor
Brand New Apex
Neptune Dos For two part
Neptune ATO
One MP 10 WQD
2 Wav pumps? Or MP 40?
Eco battery back up
Reef link
Will be getting another dos for automatic water change.
I have one XR15pro. And think of adding two more so I can spread more lighting?
Biggest question I want a nice plumbing system pvc to match everything anyone no what i exactly need from your builds. I want to hard plumb the pump. Thanks again any help would be awesome.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question. I'm wanting to upgrade my 155 bowfront to a red sea reefer tank and looking for a recommendation on what size to go with? Also no peninsula because it will be going against the wall. I would like to keep my current equipment so take that into consideration.

My equipment

Two radion xr30w's
Two vortech mp40's
Sca 302 skimmer
Jebao 8000 and 10000 return pump

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe so, I'm just nervous about drilling into the stand.
I drilled into mine. I would suggest to purchase screws the correct length so you don’t come through the other side. Drill a pilot hole first as well but half the size of the screw. Measure twice cut once. I’m thinking of getting the kessil extension so I can take the mounts off the tank. They get so much salt creep on the screws it looks so bad. Good luck.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back