Showoff Your.... Chromis?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is interesting, do they not protect the eggs, like pairs of clownfish do?
They would go after my hand and other stuff but so many fish and crabs that its a loosing battle by the end of the second day they are all gone

OP
OP
SAWFISH

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 chromis. The blue one is the tank bully

MVIMG_20200517_153940.jpg MVIMG_20190223_125905.jpg
The blue one does look like a bully. Also really cool goniopora, I have never seen a yellow one before

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue one does look like a bully. Also really cool goniopora, I have never seen a yellow one before
Thanks. It's really more pink. But the lighting on this pic did make it look yellow.
The big one bullies everyone. The small one is actually nicknamed duncan mcleod. He killed all the other chromis. There can only be one.

OP
OP
SAWFISH

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It's really more pink. But the lighting on this pic did make it look yellow.
The big one bullies everyone. The small one is actually nicknamed duncan mcleod. He killed all the other chromis. There can only be one.
Quoting Wikipedia: "Duncan MacLeod travels the world in search of friendship and adventure, helping people when he can, sometimes fighting alongside or against other immortals"

Sounds like a great addition to any tank;). I wonder if he is strong enough to beat aiptasia

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are these? Love the colors
I believe those are Barrier Reef Chromis (Chormis Nitida): https://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=1&pid=757&cid=15

I really want a school of them for my new tank, but from @Haydn's comments, it sounds like they might be more trouble than its worth.

Yes they are Nitida, the colours in my photo do not do them justice they are stunners but after my experience with them I do not think they are a group fish, however, I think a singleton in a tank would look stunning.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SAWFISH

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are Nitida, the colours in my photo do not do them justice they are stunners but after my experience with them I do not think they are a group fish, however, I think a singleton in a tank would look stunning.

It really is amazing you had that much trouble in a 660 gallons. It seems like if they didn't like each other they could have had plenty of room to spread out! Crazy chromis

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its C. cyanea. I've had a quick search on the web and the closes I can come is C. punctipinnis
Hmmmm maybe? Not sure of course. But I would say mine has the distinct black lines of the cyanea picture. Let me take another pic this afternoon when I get home.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the below wikipedia article is correct, C.punctipinnis can reach a size of up to 10 inches. The fish in @boacvh picture doesn't look anywhere near that big.

Oh no! If this bully gets any bigger than he already is, he'll have to come out
Hmmmm maybe? Not sure of course. But I would say mine has the distinct black lines of the cyanea picture. Let me take another pic this afternoon when I get home.
Here is another picture. Next to the foxface so you can gauge size. Really have no clue but I would say he does look more like the first pic of the cyanea

PXL_20201028_210737335.jpg

OP
OP
SAWFISH

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surely there are more people out there who have pictures to share of their chromis!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dope! Y'all got me interested!

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve looked into getting Chromis but only the Black Axils. Too many LFS here don’t distinguish between the two and I’ve thought about keeping one but then after a second thought just one would look boring compared to getting a couple of the blue Chrysiptera sp. So yeah and I don’t really see any other Chromis species that are sold here regularly other than the C. Viridis with some Black Axils mixed in I guess.

Props to you guys who keep them successfully though. Also heard the horror stories with uronema.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back