Shy Fish Issues - Causes?

OrokuSaki84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

First post after getting back into the reef tank game over the winter. Be gentle!

I have a 40 gallon mixed reef set up, currently 3 fish none of which like to come out much unless I'm feeding them. I have 2 percula clowns and a royal gramma. I don't expect the gramma to be out and about much - diving in and out of the rock work. The clowns seem to love to hide/host a small nook along the back right of the tank. I had a purple firefish for a few weeks who was VERY shy as well only coming out when food was involved. I sadly found him one morning being munched on but the cleaner shrimp. He was otherwise healthy fat and eating - no aggression from the other fish towards him.

The tank has been up for 6 months, and while still young it has had solid stable parameters. Coral in the tank also has great polyp extension. My question is, is it possible for light or flow to be too high in a smaller cube tank like this? I have a Maxspect Gyre running, alternating direction, but only maxing at 20%. Aside from that just flow from the return pumps. Lighting is from an AI Prime, again not cranked all the way up to 100%. Just seems odd that all of my fish are NEVER wandering around the tank at all. Love to hear your thoughts! Thanks!

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the more boisterous fish gets everyone out. If no one is out the fish think there is danger and hide. As I've added more fish they've become less shy. It's now to the point with 6 fish in my 110 that they'll nudge me when I clean the tank. My advice, add some fish that are out more and that will bring the others out as well.

OP
OP
OrokuSaki84

OrokuSaki84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the more boisterous fish gets everyone out. If no one is out the fish think there is danger and hide. As I've added more fish they've become less shy. It's now to the point with 6 fish in my 110 that they'll nudge me when I clean the tank. My advice, add some fish that are out more and that will bring the others out as well.

Thanks for the feedback!

That seems to make sense to me. I was hesitant to add many more fish. I would love to add something like a Bartlett's Anthia. My LFS stocks them, they move around a lot, and have great color. Two things I'd love to add to the tank. But I've read that they should be introduced into an established aquarium in small groups to avoid being singled out by other fish. Is it out of the question to have 5 total fish in a tank this size in your opinion? 2 anthias plus the theee living in the tank already? The other livestock includes a Scarlet Cleaner and Blood cleaner shrimp.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to posting on R2R.
There are plenty of different fish you can add, but also add them slowly to let your system adjust.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback!

That seems to make sense to me. I was hesitant to add many more fish. I would love to add something like a Bartlett's Anthia. My LFS stocks them, they move around a lot, and have great color. Two things I'd love to add to the tank. But I've read that they should be introduced into an established aquarium in small groups to avoid being singled out by other fish. Is it out of the question to have 5 total fish in a tank this size in your opinion? 2 anthias plus the theee living in the tank already? The other livestock includes a Scarlet Cleaner and Blood cleaner shrimp.
You can out a Bartlett's in there but be ready to re home it at some point. The min tank for those are 70 gallons

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a flasher wrasse like a carpenters or mckosker? They're lively and would be a good fit, and you could do one of each. You just need a screen on top though for wrasses.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback!

I wouldn't recommend bartletts to that size tank, they are pretty boisterous with each other. If you would like to try anthias, then a trio of randalls or dispar would work well.

A flasher or small fairy would work well too.

OP
OP
OrokuSaki84

OrokuSaki84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend bartletts to that size tank, they are pretty boisterous with each other. If you would like to try anthias, then a trio of randalls or dispar would work well.

A flasher or small fairy would work well too.
Thanks for the honest feed back! I love getting all the info I can before making decisions in the tank.

Really want to avoid overstocking either temperaments or by bioload. I already have 3 fish and 2 crustaceans. Would adding another 2-3 in your estimation could push the tank over the edge? I know to introduce slowly and let the tank stabilize and that theres no magic number of fish per gallon etc. Just curious of real world experience. Would 2 of the randalls get along, should they both be female in that case? I do like to run without a cover - helps keep evaporation at a good spot in the room I have the tank in. Currently using my ATO for dosing talk. Do you feel flasher wrasse would be a bad candidate due to possible jumps?

Also not having any experience with flashers - are they as sassy as six lines? haha.

OP
OP
OrokuSaki84

OrokuSaki84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a flasher wrasse like a carpenters or mckosker? They're lively and would be a good fit, and you could do one of each. You just need a screen on top though for wrasses.
Flasher looks amazing, what a fish. I like to run with out a lid which is kind of a bummer. Maybe I can do a little DIY for a clear net/cover that keeps the look of lidless.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make nice fitting lids, but they can be pricey. The bulk reef supply kit is pretty decent and honestly it's not as big a deal to me as I'm rarely look on from above.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the honest feed back! I love getting all the info I can before making decisions in the tank.

Really want to avoid overstocking either temperaments or by bioload. I already have 3 fish and 2 crustaceans. Would adding another 2-3 in your estimation could push the tank over the edge? I know to introduce slowly and let the tank stabilize and that theres no magic number of fish per gallon etc. Just curious of real world experience. Would 2 of the randalls get along, should they both be female in that case? I do like to run without a cover - helps keep evaporation at a good spot in the room I have the tank in. Currently using my ATO for dosing talk. Do you feel flasher wrasse would be a bad candidate due to possible jumps?

Also not having any experience with flashers - are they as sassy as six lines? haha.
If your tank can handle the bioload of 2 randalls than doing 3 instead should be feasible.

While pretty peaceful with each other, they do create a social hierarchy. So an odd number helps less dominant species get a break from more dominant ones.

Flashers and fairies are much better behaved than sixlines.
Flasher looks amazing, what a fish. I like to run with out a lid which is kind of a bummer. Maybe I can do a little DIY for a clear net/cover that keeps the look of lidless.
Lids are a must with wrasses.

OP
OP
OrokuSaki84

OrokuSaki84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank can handle the bioload of 2 randalls than doing 3 instead should be feasible.

While pretty peaceful with each other, they do create a social hierarchy. So an odd number helps less dominant species get a break from more dominant ones.

That makes a lot of sense, odd numbers, thanks! Obviously more food/waste is a big thing with anthias. Have you seen successful, thriving fish that have been weened down to 2 feedings per day (aside from critters in the tank already)?

I guess I'm new to having "larger" amounts of fish in a tank. My previous was a 14 Biocube and I maxed out at 3 fish. What would you recommend to gauge all of this best? Is it as simple as parameters? I religiously check my tank parameters but how does one avoid an "oops, that last fish was too many for my tank". I know theres a bit of a learning curve. I feel like adding the three at once would be a good shock yes?

Sorry for even more questions!

OP
OP
OrokuSaki84

OrokuSaki84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make nice fitting lids, but they can be pricey. The bulk reef supply kit is pretty decent and honestly it's not as big a deal to me as I'm rarely look on from above.

I guess the only issue I really have with the stock IM lid is that its so reflective - it lights up the entire room because it bounces so much light back off of it. Do you notice any of that with the BRS kit?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes a lot of sense, odd numbers, thanks! Obviously more food/waste is a big thing with anthias. Have you seen successful, thriving fish that have been weened down to 2 feedings per day (aside from critters in the tank already)?

I guess I'm new to having "larger" amounts of fish in a tank. My previous was a 14 Biocube and I maxed out at 3 fish. What would you recommend to gauge all of this best? Is it as simple as parameters? I religiously check my tank parameters but how does one avoid an "oops, that last fish was too many for my tank". I know theres a bit of a learning curve. I feel like adding the three at once would be a good shock yes?

Sorry for even more questions!
Randalls do better with more feedings. I have found that feeding the same amount of food a day, but breaking it up into more feedings goes a long way in limiting nutrient increase, while maintaining optimum health.

Water parameters and aggression are the best indicators for bioload capacity.

OP
OP
OrokuSaki84

OrokuSaki84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randalls do better with more feedings. I have found that feeding the same amount of food a day, but breaking it up into more feedings goes a long way in limiting nutrient increase, while maintaining optimum health.

Do you use an auto feeder through the day filled with x amount for the day? I'm somewhat limited to morning and evening feedings.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use an auto feeder through the day filled with x amount for the day? I'm somewhat limited to morning and evening feedings.
I have run an autofeeder in the past, but what works for me is to feed every 40-80min when I am at home in the evenings.

OP
OP
OrokuSaki84

OrokuSaki84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run an autofeeder in the past, but what works for me is to feed every 40-80min when I am at home in the evenings.

So essentially spread out the amount typically fed per day over the longest amount of time possible and not in 2 main feedings. The fish might have a chunk of the day where there isn't any food in the tank, but then there will be other parts of the day when food is readily available. Like say, the ocean? haha

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So essentially spread out the amount typically fed per day over the longest amount of time possible and not in 2 main feedings. The fish might have a chunk of the day where there isn't any food in the tank, but then there will be other parts of the day when food is readily available. Like say, the ocean? haha
Exactly!

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

First post after getting back into the reef tank game over the winter. Be gentle!

I have a 40 gallon mixed reef set up, currently 3 fish none of which like to come out much unless I'm feeding them. I have 2 percula clowns and a royal gramma. I don't expect the gramma to be out and about much - diving in and out of the rock work. The clowns seem to love to hide/host a small nook along the back right of the tank. I had a purple firefish for a few weeks who was VERY shy as well only coming out when food was involved. I sadly found him one morning being munched on but the cleaner shrimp. He was otherwise healthy fat and eating - no aggression from the other fish towards him.

The tank has been up for 6 months, and while still young it has had solid stable parameters. Coral in the tank also has great polyp extension. My question is, is it possible for light or flow to be too high in a smaller cube tank like this? I have a Maxspect Gyre running, alternating direction, but only maxing at 20%. Aside from that just flow from the return pumps. Lighting is from an AI Prime, again not cranked all the way up to 100%. Just seems odd that all of my fish are NEVER wandering around the tank at all. Love to hear your thoughts! Thanks!
My Royal Gramma is convinced that he is a lyretail anthias. He rolls with them all day, so I will second the idea that certain fish can bring out shy fish.

biga1106

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had leopard wrasse and yellow wrasses and never had one jump ... maybe I've been lucky lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back