Sick rose bubble tip - Cipro or NO?

Ross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This particular rose bubble tip has been giving me a hard time. I have had him for about 2 months and after looking great initially, he has gotten worse and worse. His current condition has been about steady for the last couple weeks.

-Completely deflates several times a day, and when he is inflated its only partially. very little to no 'bubbling' of the tips anymore.
-Mouth is not generally gaping but occasionally it is, with it expelling brown jelly type substance.
-Still reacts to light and touch.
-I have noticed a few tentacles fall off.

I have kept many bubble tips over the years but never had one looking this poor. Tank is a 7g nano, water params are all in normal ranges. Lighting is an AI prime, sitting under 150 PAR.

My questions is should I Cipro or not? I don't see him getting much better on his own, but he hasn't been getting worse either. Any help appreciated! @OrionN

Will post more pics shortly.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This particular rose bubble tip has been giving me a hard time. I have had him for about 2 months and after looking great initially, he has gotten worse and worse. His current condition has been about steady for the last couple weeks.

-Completely deflates several times a day, and when he is inflated its only partially. very little to no 'bubbling' of the tips anymore.
-Mouth is not generally gaping but occasionally it is, with it expelling brown jelly type substance.
-Still reacts to light and touch.
-I have noticed a few tentacles fall off.

I have kept many bubble tips over the years but never had one looking this poor. Tank is a 7g nano, water params are all in normal ranges. Lighting is an AI prime, sitting under 150 PAR.

My questions is should I Cipro or not? I don't see him getting much better on his own, but he hasn't been getting worse either. Any help appreciated! @OrionN

Will post more pics shortly.
How old is this tank and are there any other BTA in the system?

OP
OP
Ross

Ross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 4 months old with no other nems. Soft corals/ clownfish only

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 4 months old with no other nems. Soft corals/ clownfish only
Tank being 4 months would be my guess and fits the description you gave. Same thing that happened to me (and a lot of others) when trying nems in a young system.

I didn't start having real success before the 9 month to a year mark.

OP
OP
Ross

Ross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a possibility, I’m really torn btweeen treating or trying to wait it out. Here is a photograph and video from just now. He has looked like this for the past couple weeks. Partially inflated, very dull color, some tentacles not inflated at all.

The toadstool normally isn’t touching him.

584C5CCD-462B-4BD7-8624-85AAAACC0B21.jpeg

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks unhappy but mouth not gaping or any melting going on.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't remember having a bubble tip die. Normally they split or get to big and I have to remove them. That being said mine have been in more mature tanks. May not be an issue but mine also sit under 350-400 par.
I also have mine under higher lighting. However this nem doesn't seem to be reaching for more. I think the environment just isn't ideal.

OP
OP
Ross

Ross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have mine under higher lighting. However this nem doesn't seem to be reaching for more. I think the environment just isn't ideal.
I have never had one die either, in fact I've had lots of them and this is the only one thats ever given me any trouble. I tend to think you are probably right about a 'not ideal' environment, although water parameters don't show anything alarming. I think the intangible stuff about having an established mature tank is probably more likely.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had one die either, in fact I've had lots of them and this is the only one thats ever given me any trouble. I tend to think you are probably right about a 'not ideal' environment, although water parameters don't show anything alarming. I think the intangible stuff about having an established mature tank is probably more likely.
I also kept parameters ideal when trying nems at 4, 6, and 9 months. The 4mo didn't survive. The 6 and 9 didn't start growing until the year mark.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's extremely hard to keep a 7 gallon tank stable. I suspect that the BTA doesn't like the swings its most likely experiencing. Even topping off water on a 7 gallon could cause a swing.

Is it eating? If it's being fed a lot, it could explain the brown waste it's expelling, as well as the constant deflation. This will also cause your parameters to fluctuate a lot (I'd worry about ammonia, nitrate, and phosphate).

Lastly, the leather could be releasing a chemical that the BTA doesn't like. Again, since the tank is so small, there isn't much in the way of dilution (which is the solution to pollution!).

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That anemone does not look sick to me. On the other hand, if the anemone deflates several times a day, it is sick. For BTA, I would concentrate on keeping it is great water, stable condition and see how he does.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back