silcone (sp) question

Zoalover34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it matter what brand for insine the aquarium? Any certain kind to use or not to use? Just trying to put a overflow box it.. didn't know if I could use superglue or silcone to hold it up?

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safest bet is to use the aquarium specific silicone. To me the $ on such a small buy is not worth the risk of buying something with a Mold inhibitor in it.

pPETS-3757423t400.jpg

Also, if you call up your LFS they may have some in black, which does a great job on overflow boxes.

Railrider1920

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get silicon for aquariums at most any LFS, Ace hardware I have even seen it in Lowes / Home Depot.

You can spend $7-10 at the LFS or you can get GE Silicone 1 (pictured below) from most any home improvement store or even wal mart. make sure it is the #1. The GE Silicone 2 has mold and mildew killers in it. These will harm the tank. I have used GE Silicone 1 in tanks quite often with no problems at all. Make sure that you let it cure for a few days before you put it in your tank. It will give off a vinegar smell. When that smell is gone, it should be cured.

hpim1063ic5.jpg

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 24 38.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back