Single Acro Aquarium

Alemoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

So I’m planning my next build which is still a long way in the pipeline, but looking for anyone who may have done a similar setup.

After having loved my cube reef and tried the barebottom and my hand at Acros I was wondering if anyone had ever seen or done a single species acro reef?
As in a cube barebottom tank with just one monster green/blue Stag and like 5 azure damsels. Nice white lighting similar to the Swiss style reefs. I’ve always wanted to try something like this with maybe an encrusting sps on the bottom. Minimalist, light and can truly capture the natural structures that these corals create.

After having done my cube and having close on 50 different corals in such a small space, I could never let any coral grow out long term because it would start to encroach on other corals.

Only difficult part of this that I can see would be fighting the urge to add anything else to the tank once setup.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

So I’m planning my next build which is still a long way in the pipeline, but looking for anyone who may have done a similar setup.

After having loved my cube reef and tried the barebottom and my hand at Acros I was wondering if anyone had ever seen or done a single species acro reef?
As in a cube barebottom tank with just one monster green/blue Stag and like 5 azure damsels. Nice white lighting similar to the Swiss style reefs. I’ve always wanted to try something like this with maybe an encrusting sps on the bottom. Minimalist, light and can truly capture the natural structures that these corals create.

After having done my cube and having close on 50 different corals in such a small space, I could never let any coral grow out long term because it would start to encroach on other corals.

Only difficult part of this that I can see would be fighting the urge to add anything else to the tank once setup.
And that urge is real, I feel your pain.
That would be a nice tank. I'd love to see it.

Last edited:

DanM1029

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think you would want to find a faster growing species of acro. That would help fight the urge to put anything else in. I have a spare 15 gallon AIO lying around, been thinking about doing this as well

Julbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great concept, I can visualise it.
My main concern would be the time it would take for it to grow. Unless you want to risk buying a large colony upfront!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen tanks setup with strictly montis which are fast growing, colorful, and fill up a ton of space pretty quick. I agree though.....I wouldn't be able to not add anything else lol.

OP
OP
Alemoki

Alemoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be okay to start it off with a mid size colony of Bali slimer? It’s fairly easy and once established should grow quite well.
I wouldn’t mind spending the cash on a decent size piece to get it started. I can imagine I would spend the same if not more on a whole bunch of small frags anyways.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank sounds cool. Full colonies are great. In my tank, my cali tort or myagi tort would be awesome as a single.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can easily do 2-3 acros and be stunning. With one acro the focal point may shift to the fish.

I think this would need one prize show fish and schooling fish. Planet Aquarium makes some nice cubes.

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once had a similar idea to plumb a nano tank into my current system and put one frag of green slimer and watch it fill up the tank like a bonsai! :) Never got around to doing it though...

Dorsetsteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seriously considered whittling down my SPS to say four pieces, create a scape with each quarter a coral each. I think one is ok but I think it would get old fast.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fan of large colonies of acros, because they shade themselves, and start inhibiting flow, and get kind of ugly IMO and often end up dying in those base areas anyway.

I think small-medium colonies look best, which lends itself to garden style tanks.

I would do a single species similarly, with many smaller colonies and still trim as needed to limit overgrown colonies.

OP
OP
Alemoki

Alemoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can easily do 2-3 acros and be stunning. With one acro the focal point may shift to the fish.

I think this would need one prize show fish and schooling fish. Planet Aquarium makes some nice cubes.

Look up Formosa Forrest and you will find one of my favorite tanks, a cube with only Formosa (muricata) growing from the middle.

After having a look at the Formasa Forest thread I have to agree with @Koigula, that one acro alone would probably be too bland. I think doing 2-3 of the same species but in differing colours would be the best.

Thanks for the suggestion @Graffiti Spot on the Formosa Forest

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back