Skimmer Q&A Thread

Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 200G tank. Mix Reef with some fishes. Now running BM Curve 7.
Like to upgrade my skimmer.
Should I get Nyos, Deltec or Tunze?
And which model

Thank You

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an older Pro Clear (?) sump with a built in skimmer similar to this one on my 36 bowfront. (This one is not mine)
Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 7.26.29 AM.png

The built in skimmer is incredibly noisy, and a little persnickety to keep running. It seems like the piece of equipment that needs the most fiddling. Is there a skimmer that I could put into that space that won't break the bank? I have replaced the power head running mine, and I think a lot of the noise is vibrational resonance type stuff.
Thank you in advance.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an older Pro Clear (?) sump with a built in skimmer similar to this one on my 36 bowfront. (This one is not mine)
Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 7.26.29 AM.png

The built in skimmer is incredibly noisy, and a little persnickety to keep running. It seems like the piece of equipment that needs the most fiddling. Is there a skimmer that I could put into that space that won't break the bank? I have replaced the power head running mine, and I think a lot of the noise is vibrational resonance type stuff.
Thank you in advance.

that skimmer section looks very limiting. what are the dimensions?

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't have a lid on the skimmer part, so there's some leeway on the width. The skimmer chamber is 4.5" and I could go up to about 6" back and the height is 16" or so.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest a tunze 9005 based on your space restrictions in that chamber. Ideally, you could just use that chamber for filter socks and use the bio ball section for the skimmer. You would want to put in another baffle to keep that section at a constant water level. If you did that it would open up many more choices for skimmers.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Budget should be around 500.
I looking for idea which has better performance. Deltec, Nyos or Tunze
Tunze has performed well for me. I had a 9005 and a 9410. I haven't run a Nyos but have an old deltec ap600 that ran well but ran into aqua bee pump issues twice. When it performed it performed well though. Just not consistant. Take a look at the tunze 9415. They also make a DC version of the hydrofoamer and is the 9430 I believe. Tunze are solid products and have good support. Reef octo makes their regal series that fits well for your size tank too.

Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the 3, deltec would be at the top of the list, ever look into lifereef?
I used to have the AP500. Very good.
But I don't like the idea of external feed pump so I sell off and get a BM Curve 7.
You think I should use the SCA or the newer model i or ix?

Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze has performed well for me. I had a 9005 and a 9410. I haven't run a Nyos but have an old deltec ap600 that ran well but ran into aqua bee pump issues twice. When it performed it performed well though. Just not consistant. Take a look at the tunze 9415. They also make a DC version of the hydrofoamer and is the 9430 I believe. Tunze are solid products and have good support. Reef octo makes their regal series that fits well for your size tank too.
I like to try the tunze but seem no many people in my country using except those with smaller tank . So a bit not confident

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest a tunze 9005 based on your space restrictions in that chamber. Ideally, you could just use that chamber for filter socks and use the bio ball section for the skimmer. You would want to put in another baffle to keep that section at a constant water level. If you did that it would open up many more choices for skimmers.
Thanks. Because of the design, I don't think I can do that. I don't have bio balls. That's where I put my heater. I am afraid that modifying that middle chamber will put me into flooding territory in the case of a power outage, but I will look into it.

bknope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone explain the difference between all of the Reef Octopus skimmers?? There’s the esSence, classic, elite, regal, etc.

What’s the latest and greatest one?? I have a Bashsea sumo with a large chamber and am just trying to determine the best one for the cost

Thanks for any insight!

Gungo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone explain the difference between all of the Reef Octopus skimmers?? There’s the esSence, classic, elite, regal, etc.

What’s the latest and greatest one?? I have a Bashsea sumo with a large chamber and am just trying to determine the best one for the cost

Thanks for any insight!

The classic is the standard one, the regal is the retired model that comes with DC pump, and the elite is the newer model of the regal. Elite is the latest and greatest. but to be honest, Elite 150, Regal 150, and Classic 150 will just perform the same (In my opinion). Each model has models, let me explain... INT means internal models with an external pump, SSS is the super space saver models with the pump inside the skimmer and EXT are the recirculating skimmer that needs a feed pump and can be installed in sump or external.

Don't buy regal models as they are retired. If you have the money and the space in the sump get the Elite INT according to your tank volume. 120 = 150 INT, 180+ = 200 INT. and you won't be worrying about skimmer for a long time!

Deepsixx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The New Deltec's I have seen look to be running Jabao pumps. Not a fan of them. Nyos skimmers are really good according to some friends that run them. Tunze skimmers are fine as well. I am sure no matter which skimmer you go with they will be fine. Make sure to size it accordingly. You could have a skimmer that is a bit small and looks like a 'beast' because its always having to work to pull skim mate out. In reality, its never getting caught up with dissolved organics. I have an oversized skimmer in my tank. When it gets caught up, the skimmer in essence throttles back due to absence of dissolved organics. Plus I have extra capacity for more fish and corals, should I choose that route and still keep a nice clean water column.

svandive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really hoping to get some good advice. I currently have a pretty much new setup (with gear I purchased two years ago and had to wait for me to swap out my floors before I could set it all up, but that is a different story)... The tank has been up for several months, it’s stable (except where I learning about water chemistry at this new volume), and I am mostly happy with where I am... Except on item. I am not at really happy with my Skimmer.

I am currently running the SKIMZ SM202 (recirculating skimmer), however I have it sitting in my Trigger Emerald39 Sump. This for one seems like a bit of a waste, and silly to drive two pumps when I don’t need to if the Skimmer is going to be installed in the sump. Second, I just really haven’t been terribly impressed with the output (not that I am in anyway an expect to pass judgement). It’s just been less then stable with production and tunning, Additionally it really does seem to produce quite a bit of micro bubbles. So I’m thinking of changing this out....

I have been looking at three main companies, BubbleKing (who doesn’t) (not in my price range really), Reef Octopus (Regal or the Elite models) Lastly Vectra. I’ve mainly researched the Reef Octopus Elite 200SSS, and the Regal 250SSS. Though I think I prefer the Elite 200SSS. Both of these skimmers are absolutely able to handle my bio load (even if it increases), and will provide more room in my sump then I have now (Skimmer footprint is smaller, and I wouldn’t have the second pump).

However I don’t want to discount other options, companies thoughts or ideas....

Given those two skimmers as baselines what might other folks recommend for manageable foot prints no bigger then 14” x 12” and 25” height. Able to handle heavy bio loads at 200 Gallons or more?

I really look forward to people’s thoughts.

Thank You

Deepsixx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of my friends have reef octopus skimmers and another pal of mine who owns a LFS recommends Reef Octopus. I have personally never used one, but I have never heard anything bad about them. In fact I knew of a guy who bought a Nyos after having a reef octopus for years, had issues and went back to a reef octopus. I have never heard of Vectra, do you mean Vertex? My pal at the LFS also recommends Vertex. They are built similar to a bubble king. You will not go wrong with either. I think the Vertex Omega 200i would be a good choice for a heavy bioload 200g aquarium. It looks to be on sale at Marine Depot right now too. the Reef Octopus Elite 200INT Super cone skimmer looks to be good for a heavy loaded 200 gallon aquarium along with your idea of the 200SSS. These are DC skimmers like mine. I like the DC features of mine as I can tune it to my aquarium load. I can't speak personally, but I really believe these are skimmers that will work well for you. If I were to look at these skimmers, I would go with the Reef Octopus skimmer, especially the elite line.

svandive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that was supposed to be Vertex not vectra.... ha ha thank you for the great feedback and vote of confidence in Reef Octopus.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back