Skimmer Q&A Thread

Sean Rostrup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using a Eshopps X-350 on 200g total system volume. The tank has been set up for about 5 months and the skimmer had cycled and been working fine for months. The only recent changes in the tank is that i added 1 more hydra hd 26 and some red slime algae is growing on my rocks.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anybody recommend a good skimmer in the $300 or less range for a 120g mixed reef?

$300 or less is going to limit choices

I like my eshopps x-160 retails at $309. Have your waterline towards the low end of its suitable placement. Will give you more adjustment room.

But simplicity, reef octopus and skimz also have skimmers in that price range

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a new tank, been running about 5 weeks. Everything has gone swimmingly until today. My skimmer is aerating the sump which is filling my display tank with micro bubbles. Also, it’s not foaming up to the top any more rendering it ineffective. Found a couple threads where this question was asked, but no clear answer. Posting a couple pics so you can see exactly what I’m dealing with. Any ideas?

Keep in mind, I don’t know what I’m doing...

9DEB7831-893D-43F8-B274-B30C477B467B.jpeg
88897575-7E1D-4275-9950-FE45388E2C34.jpeg
AF618E8C-4558-4A4A-9E6B-257232DE4337.jpeg

I decided to get a simplicity skimmer a while ago. At first, I was a little skeptical cause they are very cheap. After break ln period, I can honestly say it's working as good as my old hydor external skimmer. Great value for the money imo.

You're going to have to adjust air intake and water level to get it to a 'sweet spot'. Also, if the skimmer is doing it's job, it's very possible that the water is much cleaner than when you first put it in, causing less muck in the water.. Causing less foam.

As for the micro bubbles, that's just something you're going to have to figure out. My sump is large enough that the bubbles go away by the time the enter my display. I had an older system where I had a similar issue, I used a baffle to reduce water flow before it entered my return chamber, eliminating all the bubbles.

The bubbles will significantly get better after break in period though

onevarez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a Reef Octopus Classic -100 HOB protein skimmer and I am looking for some input about how low or high to put the collection cup. I got it yesterday and I have been tinkering with it as to where to put the cup. If I put it too high the bubbles do not come up and if I put it where the bubbles start going in the tube it feels up quick. What is the sweet spot to put the cup at?

I have heard that there is a break in period, but my other question is in relations to that. Once the break in period happens will the bubbles start going up slowly through the tube like some protein skimmers I have seen.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leave the cup higher for the first few days until the bubbles start rising uniformly. Resist the urge to adjust it. It can take anywhere from a few days to a week or two to break in, depending on bioload. The sweet spot really depends on your system since every system is different. My advice would be to keep the cup high and let it run for 3 to 5 days and let it build a consistent foam head. Then start to lower the cup in small increments and monitor after each adjustment for at least an hour before adjusting again. Keep doing this until the foam head is half way up the neck then let it settle in. Don't worry right now that the foam doesn't rise into the collection cup. It will soon enough.

IME the key to adjusting a skimmer is to resist the urge to constantly tinker with it.

If you adjust a skimmer to push skimmate into the cup before it's broken in, then when it does break in, it can easily overflow the cup and create problems. Especially with HOBs since there is no sump to catch the overflow.

just my .02

good luck and happy reefing

AshwinRavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, reefers! I have a 75G with 20L sump, baffles are non-adjustable with 6" water height. I am thinking about getting the REEF Octopus CLASSIC 152-S 6" INTERNAL PROTEIN SKIMMER. @Bulk Reef Supply on their website says 5-8" as recommended water level, every other place I look (@MarineDepot , @SaltwaterAq & Amazon) has recommended water height to be 6.5 to 8". is this going to affect my skimmer performance by a lot? All help is appreciated!

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, reefers! I have a 75G with 20L sump, baffles are non-adjustable with 6" water height. I am thinking about getting the REEF Octopus CLASSIC 152-S 6" INTERNAL PROTEIN SKIMMER. @Bulk Reef Supply on their website says 5-8" as recommended water level, every other place I look (@MarineDepot , @SaltwaterAq & Amazon) has recommended water height to be 6.5 to 8". is this going to affect my skimmer performance by a lot? All help is appreciated!
I have no experience with that model personally but you may be fine. I've read people running theirs successfully as low as 4.5" . Hopefully other will chime in.

good luck

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up first tank in long while, so n00bish question upcoming....

Running Reef Octopus 200 in sump. Guy I got sump and skimmer ran his water level a few inches higher, so the skimmer output is not fully submerged. Its supposed to be, right? I can just cut the pipe down a couple inches?

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can I use or put on my skimmer cup o-ring so it comes off easier? I struggle every time I lift it off because it’s so tight. Sometimes I don’t push it all the way down but then it’s lopsided. I’d rather have it on straight and have it come off easier. Any suggestions? Thanks.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can I use or put on my skimmer cup o-ring so it comes off easier? I struggle every time I lift it off because it’s so tight. Sometimes I don’t push it all the way down but then it’s lopsided. I’d rather have it on straight and have it come off easier. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Food grade O ring lubricant. You can find it on Amazon.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to get a simplicity skimmer a while ago. At first, I was a little skeptical cause they are very cheap. After break ln period, I can honestly say it's working as good as my old hydor external skimmer. Great value for the money imo.

You're going to have to adjust air intake and water level to get it to a 'sweet spot'. Also, if the skimmer is doing it's job, it's very possible that the water is much cleaner than when you first put it in, causing less muck in the water.. Causing less foam.

As for the micro bubbles, that's just something you're going to have to figure out. My sump is large enough that the bubbles go away by the time the enter my display. I had an older system where I had a similar issue, I used a baffle to reduce water flow before it entered my return chamber, eliminating all the bubbles.

The bubbles will significantly get better after break in period though
My LFS recommended the Simplicity. I'm inexperienced but have paid a lot of attention to other set ups & researched a lot here since getting mine. I can say confidently that I think it was a solid choice. It seems to be broken in, dialed in and doing a fantastic job now. Unless it lets me down prematurely, I would definitely purchase another one in the future and recommend it to anyone, especially if they're budget conscious.

maevepotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opinions of the instant ocean brand skimmer? It's only $53 right now and my budget is non existant.

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a Reef Octopus Classic -100 HOB protein skimmer and I am looking for some input about how low or high to put the collection cup. I got it yesterday and I have been tinkering with it as to where to put the cup. If I put it too high the bubbles do not come up and if I put it where the bubbles start going in the tube it feels up quick. What is the sweet spot to put the cup at?

I have heard that there is a break in period, but my other question is in relations to that. Once the break in period happens will the bubbles start going up slowly through the tube like some protein skimmers I have seen.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Hi, would like to know how you faired with setting the collection box? I’ve had this skimmer for 2 months now and still cannot figure out how high to set the box. If I set it too high the bubbles don’t get close but it’s still collecting. If I lower it any further I’m emptying every 1-3 days.
I emailed reef octo and requested instructions regarding proper setup and never heard back.
What role does the air line play? Does this affect the height of water within the skimmer?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, would like to know how you faired with setting the collection box? I’ve had this skimmer for 2 months now and still cannot figure out how high to set the box. If I set it too high the bubbles don’t get close but it’s still collecting. If I lower it any further I’m emptying every 1-3 days.
I emailed reef octo and requested instructions regarding proper setup and never heard back.
What role does the air line play? Does this affect the height of water within the skimmer?
an adjustable airline effects skimmers in two ways simultaneously. when you close it a bit, the internal water level of the skimmer will rise while the bubbles are reduced. This may be a better solution for you to dial it in.
less air equals more water through the skimmer and visa versa.

i would leave your skimmer cup at the higher level and slightly close the air valve just a bit then monitor for an hour or so. this will slightly raise the internal water level of the skimmer and should get the foam head a bit higher without you having to adjust the skimmer cup lower and having to empty so often.

just a thought.

p.s. Skimmer patience is a virtue. Constant tinkering will drive you mad :)
set it and forget it for a good while. I can't imagine how many hours I've spent staring at my skimmers over the years, then tweeking, staring and tweeking again LOL.

Last edited:

onevarez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I had to play with it a little. At first I put it high like I was advised to do. They mention that you have a break in period. When I go away for business I put it pretty highly. Maybe half way up. When I am home all the time I might put it a little lower. Eventually the bubbles will reach the top and take all the crap out.

When it comes to the airline. I just leave it as it is. I don’t touch it. Is just for air to come in.

Hope this helped.

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had to play with it a little. At first I put it high like I was advised to do. They mention that you have a break in period. When I go away for business I put it pretty highly. Maybe half way up. When I am home all the time I might put it a little lower. Eventually the bubbles will reach the top and take all the crap out.

When it comes to the airline. I just leave it as it is. I don’t touch it. Is just for air to come in.

Hope this helped.
Thanks RO finally got back and told me it’s too big for my tank. Just installed the classic 90 that has an adjustable air intake. Hopefully this one works after the break in periods over.

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a recommendation on a skimmer for my new 180 gallon FOWLR system. I want a dog face puffer and many large fish so skimming waste before it dissolves very important. I am uprading from a 75 gallon. My opportunity right now is that I am ordering my stand this week... so right now I can build my stand with my skimmer in mind. What height should I get my stand to fit the best skimmers possible? Right now my skimmer and sump are very tight..

I am looking at 2 stands:
Current stand: 26 inches (makes access to skimmer an issue)
Option A: 32 inches? will that give me enough space for awesome skimmer at 180 gallons?
Option B: 36 inches? Will that give me enough space for awesome skimmer at 180 gallons?

thanks!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back