Skimmer Q&A Thread

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone got recommendations on a skimmer for the fluval flex 32.5 that would fit?
aquamaxx NF1 but is only rated to 30 gal i think. it comes with a modified sicce pump so has a solid pump.

others may chime in though. the PS1 that fluval sells is around the same price but is rated at 40 gallons since it appears to have a slightly larger mixing chamber. the aquamaxx WS 1 may fit but the intake is at the side and there may be blockage issues in that chamber with that one.

you can easily manage that tank w/o a skimmer though, unless you just want more aeration and some back up filtration.

4 to 5 gallon weekly w/c's would work fine

RoGReeferRV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aquamaxx NF1 but is only rated to 30 gal i think. it comes with a modified sicce pump so has a solid pump.

others may chime in though. the PS1 that fluval sells is around the same price but is rated at 40 gallons since it appears to have a slightly larger mixing chamber. the aquamaxx WS 1 may fit but the intake is at the side and there may be blockage issues in that chamber with that one.

you can easily manage that tank w/o a skimmer though, unless you just want more aeration and some back up filtration.

4 to 5 gallon weekly w/c's would work fine
Feel like with the cover on it could use some extra aeration. Extra filtration don't hurt either. I do 10% water changes weekly.

I'll look into the Aquamaxx thanks! Heard the Fluval ps1 is garbage so not really to keen on that one. Lots of micro bubbles and difficult to dial in.

RoboRabbit89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with the Hydor E-SK skimmers? I finally decided to get a skimmer and went with their smallest one which is rated to 150 gallons with light bioload. Right now I have to have it cranked all the way up and run pretty wet to get any skim. I'm guessing my bioload is pretty light right now being a 3 months tank, 100 gallons total volume. But is this noise normal? It's supposed to be silent but it is definitely howling.

Attachments

• 20210802_130451.mp4
    11.9 MB

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with the Hydor E-SK skimmers? I finally decided to get a skimmer and went with their smallest one which is rated to 150 gallons with light bioload. Right now I have to have it cranked all the way up and run pretty wet to get any skim. I'm guessing my bioload is pretty light right now being a 3 months tank, 100 gallons total volume. But is this noise normal? It's supposed to be silent but it is definitely howling.
how long has the skimmer been running?

that runs a DC so it shouldn't be loud. where the heck does the air draw from on that skimmer? looks like the collar where the cup attaches is an integrated silencer. HMM??? interesting!

Is it a hum from vibration or air draw noise?

sorry for all the questions ;-)

Last edited:

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just listened to the video and that sounds like air draw. it's probably loud because you have it cranked up.

How deep are you running it at?

RoboRabbit89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has only been runnimg since last Wednesday.

It does indeed draw air through the neck with a built in silencer.
how long has the skimmer been running?

that runs a DC so it shouldn't be loud. where the heck does the air draw from on that skimmer? looks like the collar where the cup attaches is an integrated silencer. HMM??? interesting!

Is it a hum from vibration or air draw noise?

sorry for all the questions ;-)
Been running about one week.

Correct on air through the neck with the silencer.

Air draw noise. And I am running it on the bottom of the sump which is about 8-9 inches. The manual says 6-12 so I figured it was in the sweet spot.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has only been runnimg since last Wednesday.

It does indeed draw air through the neck with a built in silencer.

Been running about one week.

Correct on air through the neck with the silencer.

Air draw noise. And I am running it on the bottom of the sump which is about 8-9 inches. The manual says 6-12 so I figured it was in the sweet spot.
it's been running for a week so if you have been fiddling with the adjustments since it's been wet, then it probably needs to settle down and fully break in.

How did you set it to break in when you got it?

RoboRabbit89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's been running for a week so if you have been fiddling with the adjustments since it's been wet, then it probably needs to settle down and fully break in.

How did you set it to break in when you got it?
First 48 hours I had it set about 50% and fully open. Then after I cranked it all the way up and closed it enough so the bubbles would rise enough to get skim.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First 48 hours I had it set about 50% and fully open. Then after I cranked it all the way up and closed it enough so the bubbles would rise enough to get skim.
48 hours then set to skim? too soon to set for skim already.

when you had it at 50% and wide open, after the 48 you should only adjust incrementally then monitor for AT LEAST an hour after each adjustment. I've found that 1/4 turn to 1/2 turn adjustments are best then i wait for the skimmer to settle in before i decide whether to make another adjustment.

do you get surges of the foam head where it will overflow a bit, then settle down?

RoboRabbit89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48 hours then set to skim? too soon to set for skim already.

when you had it at 50% and wide open, after the 48 you should only adjust incrementally then monitor for AT LEAST an hour after each adjustment. I've found that 1/4 turn to 1/2 turn adjustments are best then i wait for the skimmer to settle in before i decide whether to make another adjustment.

do you get surges of the foam head where it will overflow a bit, then settle down?
Ah, see, it would be great if the instructions were longer than like 2 paragraphs. Haha. The foam will occasionally reach the top to make skim then it does nothing for a while. So maybe just start over. Drop to 50% and wide open for a few days then slowly close and bring up power alternately?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, see, it would be great if the instructions were longer than like 2 paragraphs. Haha. The foam will occasionally reach the top to make skim then it does nothing for a while. So maybe just start over. Drop to 50% and wide open for a few days then slowly close and bring up power alternately?
I would run it at 50% power and the gate fully open. Then after 24 hrs you should see a nice foam head developing that will struggle to climb. after 24 hrs, start with a full turn closed, then monitor for at least an hour. then keep doing this process until you have the foam head breaking right where the cup connects to the body of the skimmer and let it run without touching it for a day or more. i wouldn't initially use the pump to control the internal height of the water in the skimmer. that should only be adjusted once the skimmer is broken in and seasoned.

report back in a day or so and let us know how it looks ;-)

you'll get it to skim!!!!!!!!!!

RoboRabbit89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run it at 50% power and the gate fully open. Then after 24 hrs you should see a nice foam head developing that will struggle to climb. after 24 hrs, start with a full turn closed, then monitor for at least an hour. then keep doing this process until you have the foam head breaking right where the cup connects to the body of the skimmer and let it run without touching it for a day or more. i wouldn't initially use the pump to control the internal height of the water in the skimmer. that should only be adjusted once the skimmer is broken in and seasoned.

report back in a day or so and let us know how it looks ;-)

you'll get it to skim!!!!!!!!!!
Done and done! Thank you for all the help, highly appreciated!

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best skimmer for a Waterbox peninsula 15G? last few ones i bought i had to return as they was still too large to fit into the back =|

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best skimmer for a Waterbox peninsula 15G? last few ones i bought i had to return as they was still too large to fit into the back =|
what are the chamber dimensions ?

only small ones i've seen perform are the aquamaxx NF 1 and the icecap K1 nano

i think there's a build thread on another WB peninsula that is running a K1

both appear to be built well

hopefully more people with more nano skimmer experience can chime in.

Mr. GoodStuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have a 110SSS skimmer and the pump failed, could I replace it with the pump from the 150SSS for a better performing skimmer? The output size on both skimmers is the same. Only the body size and height is different by about 1".

RoboRabbit89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great

post back on how things are progressing ;-)
So I did the slow build up and it was working nicely, went to look today after doing the final setting and it was just barely not going over the neck so I went to close it just slightly more for that last push but apparently closed it all the way and the cup started to fill rapidly. hahaha So I opened it back up and put it back to the setting it was at, will monitor from here. Might bump it just to 60% if needed.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have a 110SSS skimmer and the pump failed, could I replace it with the pump from the 150SSS for a better performing skimmer? The output size on both skimmers is the same. Only the body size and height is different by about 1".
the 110 has the aquatrance 1000 and the 150 has the 2000. i doubt it will work. too much gph.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back