Skimmer

Riggins44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have, in the last six month acquired a Rea Sea 350. It came with a Red Sea skimmer, I do weekly 15-20% water changes religiously. I have a Brittle Star, a File fish, a Lemon peel Angle fish, a Maroon Clown fish, an Anemone, 2 Banggai Cardinal fish and one PJ Cardinal fish, snails, crabs, all in a "Reef " tank.
Here is my question, with the skimmer off, my glass stays clear for days. With the skimmer on, the glass gets algae in a day or so, I try and clean the skimmer out twice a week. With the water changes that I do, do I really need a skimmer, or at least full time??

Trying to learn..

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
since I do large water changes every week
You could potentially be stripping too much nutrients out and bottoming out either phosphates or nitrates. Do you use RO water or tap water for your water changes and top off water?

Upvote 1

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!! I'm a little late to the party, seems like you already got some great advice!!

20230123_222953.gif

Upvote 0

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have, in the last six month acquired a Rea Sea 350. It came with a Red Sea skimmer, I do weekly 15-20% water changes religiously. I have a Brittle Star, a File fish, a Lemon peel Angle fish, a Maroon Clown fish, an Anemone, 2 Banggai Cardinal fish and one PJ Cardinal fish, snails, crabs, all in a "Reef " tank.
Here is my question, with the skimmer off, my glass stays clear for days. With the skimmer on, the glass gets algae in a day or so, I try and clean the skimmer out twice a week. With the water changes that I do, do I really need a skimmer, or at least full time??

Trying to learn..
“Do I really need a skimmer?” No.

I’m not the most experienced here and 90% of what we find on here is anecdotal so here we go….

A skimmer is doing something. After all…that isn’t magic muck coating the insides. It came from your tank and based on the look and smell, was obviously in some state of decomposition. So…huzzah! It’s out now.

Now, despite it getting full…is it doing enough to matter? Hard to say. What’s more, is it a good idea if it is?

If I’m pulling a pound of muck out each week but making 2, I’d look and say “boy this skimmer is really crushing it” but in reality…it’s not. Recommended sizes on websites aren’t really accurate because each tank is different. There’s so many factors here that no one could properly size a skimmer to your tank in a generic “good for x-y gallons.”

But let’s say you get it down as many do. Your skimmer is sucking up the perfect amount of nutrients. Everything is in beautiful balance. Life is good. Then your skimmer dies. …and now your tank is completely thrown off. Algae blooms, nitrates spike, it’s a mess. You’re yelling “hunny what’s the cvv on the credit ca?!?” and clicking “overnight delivery for $99” as fast as you can….or you come home from a lovely vacation to chaos. Clown fish and Dominos marrying, Tangs acting out the ‘Lord of the Flies’ in jungles of hair algae.

I do believe skimmers work. But I firmly believe they are a tool to help prop-up new tanks and should eventually be removed after a year or two. The more props and things you NEED on your tank, the greater the chance of failure or crash.

I have run very large and expensive skimmers because I overstocked and HAD to. I have run them because I thought it was best practices. In the end, after the 100th cleaning, I’ve pulled them around year 1-2 and seen no I’ll effect.

Gas Exchange. Ok, This actually worked for me and I couldn’t replicate it with commercial grade air pumps so I have to mention it. In the past, I have run a tube outside to fresh air and hooked it up to my protein skimmer air intake. It did positively affect my Ph.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Riggins44

Riggins44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Do I really need a skimmer?” No.

I’m not the most experienced here and 90% of what we find on here is anecdotal so here we go….

A skimmer is doing something. After all…that isn’t magic muck coating the insides. It came from your tank and based on the look and smell, was obviously in some state of decomposition. So…huzzah! It’s out now.

Now, despite it getting full…is it doing enough to matter? Hard to say. What’s more, is it a good idea if it is?

If I’m pulling a pound of muck out each week but making 2, I’d look and say “boy this skimmer is really crushing it” but in reality…it’s not. Recommended sizes on websites aren’t really accurate because each tank is different. There’s so many factors here that no one could properly size a skimmer to your tank in a generic “good for x-y gallons.”

But let’s say you get it down as many do. Your skimmer is sucking up the perfect amount of nutrients. Everything is in beautiful balance. Life is good. Then your skimmer dies. …and now your tank is completely thrown off. Algae blooms, nitrates spike, it’s a mess. You’re yelling “hunny what’s the cvv on the credit ca?!?” and clicking “overnight delivery for $99” as fast as you can….or you come home from a lovely vacation to chaos. Clown fish and Dominos marrying, Tangs acting out the ‘Lord of the Flies’ in jungles of hair algae.

I do believe skimmers work. But I firmly believe they are a tool to help prop-up new tanks and should eventually be removed after a year or two. The more props and things you NEED on your tank, the greater the chance of failure or crash.

I have run very large and expensive skimmers because I overstocked and HAD to. I have run them because I thought it was best practices. In the end, after the 100th cleaning, I’ve pulled them around year 1-2 and seen no I’ll effect.

Gas Exchange. Ok, This actually worked for me and I couldn’t replicate it with commercial grade air pumps so I have to mention it. In the past, I have run a tube outside to fresh air and hooked it up to my protein skimmer air intake. It did positively affect my Ph.
THANK YOU!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Riggins44

Riggins44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your help! I found that my skimmer was not operating well, and corrected that issue. I also looked at my lighting parameters and decide to run a pre-programmed setting, I think this will help a lot.
Again, thank you all for you advice and help with my issue!!!

Upvote 0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Trying to learn..

Welcome! Glad you joined. Like most on here, agree clean skimmer cup as needed when you see it dirty. I just returned from several days in Maryland, and EEW my skimmer cup on my big tank was beyond gross and stinky (usually clean it every day or every other day). In my smaller FOWLR tank that also has small bioload, cleanings may be every 4 days or so. Part of annual maintenance (or sooner), clean pump and body of skimmer.

A year ago I was lucky enough to be in Maryland and went over the Bay Bridge to Eastern Shore to interview Dr. Mac in person - I'd love to make it back some day:

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in Maryland:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Upvote 0

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome! Here you’ll find that people are friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. We’re glad you joined! Hopefully you’ll start a build thread so we can see your reef as it progresses.

2386CFBB-51BC-4468-B793-5E06C2E29117.jpeg

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back