Lebski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about 3 weeks ago I added a very large single snail to my tank. I believed it was a Trochus snail. But it was sold as an omen snail according to my LFS.

image.jpg

When I first got him he has been fine but has just been on the glass and not touched my rocks or substrate. It is very large around a £5 coin size or a bit larger than a silver dollar. He has not started letting his shell hang really low down and letting that white tentacle out aswell as releasing a sort of white powdery looking substance into the water.

My parameters are perfect I have used all the kits available. The only thing that isn’t perfect is the nitrates which is at 0.5ppm but I would like this to stay this way.

firstly, I would like to know what snail this is if anyone has any ideas just as a confirmation.

secondly why is my snail doing this, is it dying, trying to spawn etc.

any help would be great! Thanks

gonzo620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What your describing sounds like spawning behavior. In your photo the new growth of the snail shell does not reflect a typical torches snail pattern. I'm saying closer Astrea snail.

OP
OP
Lebski

Lebski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some more photos for reference

Attachments

• 505227DE-95D8-4546-A5A1-6975C078E25F.jpeg
    505227DE-95D8-4546-A5A1-6975C078E25F.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 6B267CB4-49F8-412A-9DE4-132C74F9D10E.jpeg
    6B267CB4-49F8-412A-9DE4-132C74F9D10E.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 61
  • F269F618-ACCA-467A-8305-CF64B12B58CB.jpeg
    F269F618-ACCA-467A-8305-CF64B12B58CB.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 68

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no snail expert, but I've had a lot of snails over the years. I've never seen one ooze out of his shell like that. To me, it almost looks like he doesn't have the strength to stay attached to it and gravity is winning out. My guess is that he's dying. I hope I'm wrong!

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about 3 weeks ago I added a very large single snail to my tank. I believed it was a Trochus snail. But it was sold as an omen snail according to my LFS.

image.jpg

When I first got him he has been fine but has just been on the glass and not touched my rocks or substrate. It is very large around a £5 coin size or a bit larger than a silver dollar. He has not started letting his shell hang really low down and letting that white tentacle out aswell as releasing a sort of white powdery looking substance into the water.

My parameters are perfect I have used all the kits available. The only thing that isn’t perfect is the nitrates which is at 0.5ppm but I would like this to stay this way.

firstly, I would like to know what snail this is if anyone has any ideas just as a confirmation.

secondly why is my snail doing this, is it dying, trying to spawn etc.

any help would be great! Thanks
How was it when you first bought it. How did the staff remove it from the tank. I have seen some lfs handle snails roughly which may injure or damage the snail. While the oozing white powdery substances does sound like spawning, the drooping shell worries me. I have had Astreas and Trochus snails spawn and they dont droop like that. If anything, they retract and clench their shells tighter each time they they spawn.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spawning... similar to what Trochus do here. Usually within a week of the new moon. Males eject sperm into the water column and the females eject eggs... tanks look like snow globes for about an hour or two after.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back