Snail Problem

mjscooby717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just bought a pyramid algae snail (tectus snail) from my LFS, i put it in my tank and i’ve come to realize it has this weird looking thing on it shell. Whatever it is seems to retreat quickly back into a hole in the shell when i move the snail when it feels endangered. can anyone help me out please?

if you need better video, or me to point out the critter in the video let me know

thanks - mike

Attachments

• IMG_6003.mov
    6 MB
  • IMG_6002.mov
    27 MB

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can't see the video's(they seem to just keep loading and never play), I do see the "shell" on the bottom of the snail's shell.

It's either a vermatid snail, or a barnacle. When it comes out of the tube, does it look like an eyelash waving in the wind, or more like someone casting a fishing net?

OP
OP
M

mjscooby717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can't see the video's(they seem to just keep loading and never play), I do see the "shell" on the bottom of the snail's shell.

It's either a vermatid snail, or a barnacle. When it comes out of the tube, does it look like an eyelash waving in the wind, or more like someone casting a fishing net?
i would say more like an eyelash, and after looking at it more it seems to also have its own sorta shell attached to the snail.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might be able to see it better here

i was just scared to ruin the shell of the snail but i think i might, it’s pretty scary looking lol.
If He Dies Ivan Drago GIF

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it looks more like an eyelash blinking, then it's a barnacle and will eventually die on it's own. They do not live long in our tanks.

No need to kill the snail

OP
OP
M

mjscooby717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it looks more like an eyelash blinking, then it's a barnacle and will eventually die on it's own. They do not live long in our tanks.

No need to kill the snail
looking around it seems it may possibly be a tube worm aswell, if it’s a tube worm i wanna try to keep them out of the tank if possible so i may attempt to remove it. if i can find my snail, i woke up and he’s nowhere to be found .

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 112 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.0%
Back