Snowflake not eating- help?

Pudge&Bubbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I adopted a snowflake eel from a local. 2 weeks ago. He won't eat.

He is between 16-18" , a little over a year old.

He is in a 40 gallon temporary tank, while I get to know him. But I cannot get him to eat. I have tried silversides, squid, shrimp, and krill. I have tried different times of day a few times , but try to stick to end of day.

He has rocks and sand and an ignore pvc piece. The rocks make a cave for him that he seems to enjoy.

Any advice at all. Any tips. Anything at all.

I decided on a snowflake eel months ago, and just happened across an adoption instead of buying one.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to worry, after a move it may a while for him to settle down and start eating. As long as all your tank conditions are proper. Make sure the pieces of food aren't to big and try to use as stealth of feeding tool as you can. If all else fails you can add some live ghost shrimp, but Im sure he'll come around given time.

OP
OP
P

Pudge&Bubbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to worry, after a move it may a while for him to settle down and start eating. As long as all your tank conditions are proper. Make sure the pieces of food aren't to big and try to use as stealth of feeding tool as you can. If all else fails you can add some live ghost shrimp, but Im sure he'll come around given time.

I have used long tweezers and a skewer thing. He doesnt even really show interest. He swims away if he gets close to it.

I know the changes can cause stress, and not eating. I know that not eating for a little while is also not cause for worry, until it is. I just dont know how long before I should really worry.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 they get spooked pretty easily. I imagine he’s pretty stressed out right now. Have you tried live shrimp yet?

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used long tweezers and a skewer thing. He doesnt even really show interest. He swims away if he gets close to it.

I know the changes can cause stress, and not eating. I know that not eating for a little while is also not cause for worry, until it is. I just dont know how long before I should really worry.
I would try turning the flow off and drop it off above his cave so it slowly floats by him.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have some mysis or similar, you can chum the water a bit to excite him. The smell of the food in the water will entice some eels to feed. If he was otherwise healthy before the move, I wouldn't give much worry until you get several weeks in. Live ghosties and chum the water would be the next steps if you are concerned. You can just drop some ghosties in and let him chase them down at his leisure, they'll live long enough in the full salt water, some will die but no biggie.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back