So I messed up.... BAD!!! Please help!

Captain Hook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got motor oil in the tank.... I’m gonna try and keep this as short as possible and provide as much info as could be needed to help find a potential solution.

I have a 1 year old 30gal half moon, mixed reef with a HOB filter. Roughly 30lbs or more of live rock, and 20lbs of sand maybe more. full of softy’s mainly, a few lps, with some new sps and lps frags I just received last Wednesday..
So the problem occurred when I decided to use a sledge hammer and chisel from the garage to break off my colony of clove polyps that was taking over the entire top of my tank. It wasn’t until after my hand had gone in the tank multiple times did I notice that my hand was covered in oil from the sledge hammer handle... so I started noticing things looking sad in the tank yesterday evening and that my royal gramma had died and the Xenia were retracting/dieing off. Today I got home from work and my pink spotted goby is dead and Xenia are down to stubs, frogspawn and duncun are completely retracted, and other corals are having varying issues starting to appear. Can I save my tank?
I was spit balling ideas with a friend and we came up with fresh water dipping the rocks and corals and dropping them in my 90 gallon but I’m afraid I’ll kill all the fish in my 90... my other thought was maybe doing 50% water changes every day or every other day? Idk but I do know I need to do my best to save the rest of my critters if possible!

Thanks in advance!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what a freshwater dip would accomplish. I'd run carbon and get a 100% water change ready. Hopefully your rocks havent absorbed anything bad.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Water change, high grade carbon and skim any residue on the surface using a net with a paper towel in the net.

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% water change and run carbon. Youd probably have to do a few back to back water changes. Also keep the tank aerated.

Edit: it might even be easier to move what fish remain into a new container with a bubbler and fresh seawater.

OP
OP
Captain Hook

Captain Hook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what a freshwater dip would accomplish. I'd run carbon and get a 100% water change ready. Hopefully your rocks havent absorbed anything bad.
I’m running carbon as of yesterday when I noticed something was up. And yeah idk if it would help either but was just spitballing ideas... something tells me it’s been too long (this happened last Wednesday) and the rocks have absorbed the bad stuffs... any ideas @Cell

OP
OP
Captain Hook

Captain Hook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. How does one go about a complete water change? I’ve never had to do this with a reef tank only my freshwater tanks, which needless to say is a bit different. Thanks so much for the quick responses!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the rocks have absorbed anything bad, then you either toss and start fresh or perhaps a long cure with bleach or muriatic acid or something might be in order, but I'm not sure if it would be the necessary fix or not.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just have your fresh 30g ready, drain the tank completely and refill it. Coral will be fine out of water for the time it takes to empty and refill. Fish can be caught and placed in buckets as it gets low.

OP
OP
Captain Hook

Captain Hook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I cleaned the filter again. And turned all pumps off and there was a bit of oil scum. I used paper towels to get it out. Then I put some new carbon in and did a 20% water change. Everything seems to be stable. No more death in the tank as of today. Will keep you guys posted.
Thanks again.

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I cleaned the filter again. And turned all pumps off and there was a bit of oil scum. I used paper towels to get it out. Then I put some new carbon in and did a 20% water change. Everything seems to be stable. No more death in the tank as of today. Will keep you guys posted.
Thanks again.
Take your wave pump out of your tank and fill a bucket with water and add vinegar to clean your pump run the pump in the bucket for at least 15 min then wipe and rinse thoroughly before putting back in your tank this will get rid of any residue on the pump if there is still oil do it again. Always wash you hands before and after ever putting them in a tank.. lessons learned... the best of luck getting all the oil out..like I said before get Purit carbon it will take out any oil left in the tank plus any metals or any impurities that might be in all water

OP
OP
Captain Hook

Captain Hook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take your wave pump out of your tank and fill a bucket with water and add vinegar to clean your pump run the pump in the bucket for at least 15 min then wipe and rinse thoroughly before putting back in your tank this will get rid of any residue on the pump if there is still oil do it again. Always wash you hands before and after ever putting them in a tank.. lessons learned... the best of luck getting all the oil out..like I said before get Purit carbon it will take out any oil left in the tank plus any metals or any impurities that might be in all water
I gotta get a bottle of some vinegar tomorrow.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back