Something Different... d2's FRESHWATER PLANTED build!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pics of the new additions... Threadfin Rainbows and Blue Ram Cichlids. :)

i-VNsWsBG-XL.jpg

i-56ZGGBN-XL.jpg

i-fvn3jHx-XL.jpg

i-8HTZgs6-XL.jpg

i-3wzqSmk-XL.jpg

i-Q6MNHrZ-XL.jpg

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pics of the new additions... Threadfin Rainbows and Blue Ram Cichlids. :)

i-VNsWsBG-XL.jpg

i-56ZGGBN-XL.jpg

i-fvn3jHx-XL.jpg

i-8HTZgs6-XL.jpg

i-3wzqSmk-XL.jpg

i-Q6MNHrZ-XL.jpg
Tank looks great! Love those albino rainbows! Curious to see how the German blue Rams do for you. I find I have to keep them from 82-86 to have success with them long term. Their breeding behavior is fun to watch.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great! Love those albino rainbows! Curious to see how the German blue Rams do for you. I find I have to keep them from 82-86 to have success with them long term. Their breeding behavior is fun to watch.
Thanks! I think my challenge is going to be making sure they get enough food... competing with the rainbows.

MaxFlow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love to see the German Blues. My favorite freshwater fish. I used to breed them and after switching to reef tank kept thinking about setting up a freshwater again. My dream is coming true. I'm building a dual-water system.

Are you still running a reef tank?

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Threadfin rainbows are probably my favorite freshwater fish. That is hard to say since I've had everything from African cichlids to South American cichlids to odd balls in between. Once the group settles in, the colors are just incredible. Love when they display to one another. Only issue I had was finding a food small enough for them to eat. Though that probably isn't an issue now compared to 10 years ago.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love to see the German Blues. My favorite freshwater fish. I used to breed them and after switching to reef tank kept thinking about setting up a freshwater again. My dream is coming true. I'm building a dual-water system.

Are you still running a reef tank?
No, taking a reef break at the moment. :)
How do you build a dual water system? Sounds interesting!

MaxFlow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, taking a reef break at the moment. :)
Ah. That's what I was afraid of :)

How do you build a dual water system? Sounds interesting!
There will be 4 tanks 40g, 25g.25g.100g and two sumps. Left sump - freshwater. Right sump - saltwater. The idea is to be able to quickly change configuration and have tanks connected to either saltwater or freshwater system.
I will probably start with 40g fresh breeder ( yes, Rams :) ), 25g fresh display, 25g salt frag, 100g salt reef.

I like experimenting and trying new things. Hoping that this setup will give me plenty of flexibility and minimum maintenance.

BTW. Check this out - https://www.innovative-marine.com/product-page/nuvo-concept-pro-20-encore-aquarium-desktop

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you ever considered apistogrammas ? I used to have rams and Bolivian rams but then fell in love with apistogrammas. They do well in a planted tank in my experience and would breed all the time . So many different species , females are a bit dull but during breeding they turn a bright yellow. Cool little fish the dwarf cichlids are really cool . I remember paying $15 for one and was like o man so much for a fish ..lol now I'm like I can set up a planted tank for a couple hundred no big deal . I'm going to make a riparium for my kitchen counter that I'm tank might be nice but trying not to have many plugs . There is a guy on YouTube and Instagram that does cool little projects with terrariums , aquariums and what not , his name is serpadesign ..cool stuff if you're handy , end product Is always stunning . Anyways loving how the tank looks , keep it up !!
91c0821913e3dd2098f16017918cb270.jpg

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a combination of discus, roseline sharks and cardinal tetras in my 55g planted. 3 separate schooling fish. Lots of action and color

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever considered apistogrammas ? I used to have rams and Bolivian rams but then fell in love with apistogrammas. They do well in a planted tank in my experience and would breed all the time . So many different species , females are a bit dull but during breeding they turn a bright yellow. Cool little fish the dwarf cichlids are really cool . I remember paying $15 for one and was like o man so much for a fish ..lol now I'm like I can set up a planted tank for a couple hundred no big deal . I'm going to make a riparium for my kitchen counter that I'm tank might be nice but trying not to have many plugs . There is a guy on YouTube and Instagram that does cool little projects with terrariums , aquariums and what not , his name is serpadesign ..cool stuff if you're handy , end product Is always stunning . Anyways loving how the tank looks , keep it up !!
91c0821913e3dd2098f16017918cb270.jpg
Those look pretty cool, I'm not familiar with them!

what rainbow fish is the orange one? I have a blue rainbow in my 55g planted (low tech) and I want to get a school of 6-8 going.
Albino Millenium :)

Would you consider angelfish? I have a pair in my 55g that has spawned once so far.

An older picture, but you get the idea

TEhvRvW.jpg
Not sure why but Angels don't really do it for me. Maybe its the lack of color?

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angels don't have bright colors but there males coloring fades in and out so fast it's very easy to see his mood. There are some subtle colors but correct not many. I just love their big fins and big bodies.

Thanks for the fish name!

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous thread fins! Rams look great as well.

I won’t ever have angels again, but my favorites are the Pinoy blues. So pretty. I’m just not a cichlid fan. I’ll stick to my adorable little mouthbrooding bettas

Jman76

Keeper of Greens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beauty tank! Trying out the planted side of FW myself for the first time. Is there a favorite site or 2 you use for this hobby? Im really focused on parameters/test kits/fert right now. Thanks!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beauty tank! Trying out the planted side of FW myself for the first time. Is there a favorite site or 2 you use for this hobby? Im really focused on parameters/test kits/fert right now. Thanks!
plantedtank.net and ukaps.org
Neither is as good as reef2reef but what is? ;)

Back