Still practicing with the macro lens....

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my macro lens for about 4 months now and am learning more and more everyday. I'm just a rookie with some half way decent equipment. Took some shots tonight in my frag tank and thought I would share. Advice / tips are welcome for sure.

Equipment: Canon Rebel XT with Macro lens
ISO - 100
AV setting (RAW)
DOF - 32
Tripod with remote shutter
Post processing in PSElements (white balance adjusted)

Lighting - ATI Powermodule 6x24w (all bulbs on)
1 ATI Blue +
2 AquaBlue Special
1 Fiji Purple
2 Super Actinics

Here we go...
IMG_3190.jpg

IMG_3207.jpg

IMG_3214.jpg

IMG_3188.jpg

IMG_3185.jpg

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pictures are beautiful. The only recommendation is to adjust white balance on camera prior to taking the pictures. It is a bit off which causes you to loose some of the colors and makes for a lot of post processing work. For an example I took a couple of your pictures and edit white balance a bit.

Before

IMG_3185.jpg

After

IMG_31851.jpg

Before

IMG_3190.jpg

After

IMG_31901.jpg

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those looks like pretty good pic's....how far away from the target are you? I think your avatar pic is the best though.

OP
OP
soccerbag

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pictures Craig! What kind of background are you using?

Thank you. I am using a piece of black acrylic glued to a mag float. I raise that up about 8" from the top of the water line and position my tripod and camera lens about 10" off the water. I would raise the lens up more to get more coral in the shot it I could...but I can't reach the viewfinder to focus if it's any higher...lol

OP
OP
soccerbag

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pictures are beautiful. The only recommendation is to adjust white balance on camera prior to taking the pictures. It is a bit off which causes you to loose some of the colors and makes for a lot of post processing work. For an example I took a couple of your pictures and edit white balance a bit.

Thanks lazylivin. I have tried a white card and gray card in the tank but it never turns out how I see it with my eyes. It's just so difficult to get it right with the blue spectrum on the bulbs we use. I would love to get a pro over to the house one day to see if they can get it right for me.

I appreciate your work on the photos. I will say that the red one you posted looks more like the original colors for the most part. The others are pretty much spot on (color wise from the top down) the way I posted them. I agree, however, that it would be much easier to have the WB set from the get go. I'll work on that one. Thanks again!

OP
OP
soccerbag

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those looks like pretty good pic's....how far away from the target are you? I think your avatar pic is the best though.

Thanks ca2or and Tanked. I am positioned over the frag tank with a tripod. Lens is about 8-10" off of the water. The rack I am using as a background / holder is about 5-6" under the water line.

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you get such close up shots from so far away? I have to be like 1 foot away.

OP
OP
soccerbag

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm not much more than a foot away with the setup. The lens is 8" of so (could be closer) off the water and the coral is just under about 4-6" of water. My measurements are not exact, but just for a rough reference. I'm just using the standard macro lens.

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pics Craig. Snapping a lot of shots is the key to photogarphy as there is always something else to shoot :)

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome job Craig! Try shooting in raw and doing post in LR or PS. It makes adjusting WB much easier.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you're off to a great start.

OP
OP
soccerbag

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the encouraging words guys. It's greatly appreciated. I'm having a great time taking shots and trying new things. I think I snapped 400 shots last night and kept about 20 of them. Not sure if that is a good average or not...lol

Chris, I did shoot in RAW and I used PS for post. Next time I see you, I need to take a lesson!

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics look great to me! Very nice corals as well; I really like the red snakeskin, where did you get it? Also, your shades of fall looks really good, and the plug it's on looks really familiar, where did you get that guy if you mind me asking as well?

OP
OP
soccerbag

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics look great to me! Very nice corals as well; I really like the red snakeskin, where did you get it? Also, your shades of fall looks really good, and the plug it's on looks really familiar, where did you get that guy if you mind me asking as well?

I was just thinking...how in the world would that frag plug look familiar to him....lol. I believe you sold a few pieces to a fellow reefer here in Richmond, VA (correct me if I'm wrong) and one of them was for me. I LOVE it. I can't wait for it to grow up a bit. But the coloration is still insane!

I can't remember where I got that Red Snakeskin. A few others have asked me about it as well. I can't find the name or where I got it from so I named it the Red Snakeskin as it reminds me a lot of the pattern and texture of the Blue Snakeskins I've seen (another gorgeous piece).

Craig

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.0%
Back