Stocking List for 125g

FlyingOctopi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

My original plan for stocking my 125 gallon didn't work as planned so I'm trying to figure out another stocking list that would work.

I currently have

Fish
1 - Ocellaris Clownfish
1 - Yellow Watchman Goby
1 - Melanurus Wrasse

Invertebrates
2 - Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1 - Tiger Pistol Shrimp
Various Hermits and Snails

I'm thinking about getting (higher on the list bigger priority)

Fish
1 - Ocellaris Clownfish
1 - Yellow Tang
1 - Ruby Red Dragonet or Blue Mandarin
1 - Fathead Sunburst Anthias
1 - Hippo, Convict, or Whitetail Bristletooth Tang
1 - Royal Gramma
1 - Blue Spotted Jawfish
1 - Fairy Wrasse
1 - Flasher Wrasse
1 - Cleaner Wrasse

Invertebrates
1 - Bubble Tip Anemone
1 - Clam
1 - Starfish

Nothing is set in stone and would like any recommendations.

Thank you!

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make sure the clown you get is smaller than the one you already have. They can get pretty aggressive to each other if they are the same sex.

If you decide on more than 1 tang, add them at the same time. It's kind of a gamble on if adding them separately will cause aggression. It really depends on how long the first tang has been in the tank to set up territory.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, they struck me as rather tiny fish for a big tank. I guess it’s all a matter of what you like. Reef or FOWLR?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at this list for a 80 G tank for ideas. Since this list - 4 new fish is added (2 mimic file fish and 2 midnight pygmy basslets and two new pipefish is in the refugium) and It is mostly small fish - but there is always action in this tank

Sincerely Lasse

fishfish2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would get a flame angel. they have beautiful colors and they are hardy. mine doesn't touch the corals, but I have heard they do eat them. if you want a more reef safe angel get a swallowtail.
flame angel.jpeg

here's a picture of a swallowtail
SWALLOW_TAIL_ANGEL_800x.jpeg

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do the Hippo in a 125. One or a pair of smaller Genicanthus IMO would be good (
and a pair maybe even a trio of Flames if the tank’s 6ft long. If you want a Cleaner Wrasse, best to get a captive bred one. ORA does them, maybe some others do as well. Biota breeds the Hawaiian species but not sure if they’re ever in stock. You could consider another Halichoeres wrasse, or a Leopard Wrasse (still not the easiest). Pair of Clowns always looks better than one IMO.

Jawfish is fine if can provide it with enough sand to make a burrow.

Sunburst Anthias is fine, some say they’re hard to feed though at first. If Biota breeds Borbonius Anthias again I’d be tempted to consider one of them.

A blenny of some kind, like a Midas or Starry Blenny (heard they can have issues with Bristletooth Tangs so if you want the White Tail I’d probably get a Midas).

If you are willing to pay and you’re willing to take a risk with corals, a Roaps butterfly (Burgess, Tinker’s, Mitratus, Declivis) would be an option. In the genus Prognathodes there’s also the Atlantic Longnose Butterfly that’s a small species. The Yellow Pyramid and Zoster are planktivores, a number of people have kept them with success in full reefs. If you are up for some husbandry challenges, a healthy Copperband could be an option. The Schooling Bannerfish (Heniochus Diphreutes) is another planktivore (Acuminatus is the more common one) but they’re not easy to find and I think they get larger than the others I’ve mentioned.

If you want a butterfly I’d try to establish it before any Tangs. I’d do no more than 2 Tangs in a 125 and nothing too aggressive or big / active, so Hippo’s out.

If you want a Mandarin I’d try to get a Captive Bred one that takes foods other than just pods. Many have mentioned the competition between Mandarins and wrasses that hunt pods, including Halichoeres like your Melanurus. I don’t know much about combining wrasses and Mandarins together so please ask the others.

Gramma is fine.

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have in my 120:
Carkii clown x2
Three stripe damsel
One spot foxface
Royal gramma
Firefish
Red fin fairy wrasse
Possum wrasse
Swallow tail angel

I thought that was a lot, but judging by this thread it's not. I do have 48 species of coral that haven't died (yet), so that's a big part of my stocking. As one might guess, to have that many they're mostly small frags. But after two years I'm starting to see some good growth. Acros and Montis grow fast once you get the params right, so I may even frag a few soon.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

My original plan for stocking my 125 gallon didn't work as planned so I'm trying to figure out another stocking list that would work.

I currently have

Fish
1 - Ocellaris Clownfish
1 - Yellow Watchman Goby
1 - Melanurus Wrasse

Invertebrates
2 - Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1 - Tiger Pistol Shrimp
Various Hermits and Snails

I'm thinking about getting (higher on the list bigger priority)

Fish
1 - Ocellaris Clownfish
1 - Yellow Tang
1 - Ruby Red Dragonet or Blue Mandarin
1 - Fathead Sunburst Anthias
1 - Hippo, Convict, or Whitetail Bristletooth Tang
1 - Royal Gramma
1 - Blue Spotted Jawfish
1 - Fairy Wrasse
1 - Flasher Wrasse
1 - Cleaner Wrasse

Invertebrates
1 - Bubble Tip Anemone
1 - Clam
1 - Starfish

Nothing is set in stone and would like any recommendations.

Thank you!
Ditch the hippo. These fish get rather big and while yes could be a temporary fish wouldn’t be a suitable candidate long term. The convicts also tend to be harder to keep since they tend to not eat carnivorous diets and are more on a strict herbivorous diet. Yellows just go absolutely haywire with new introductions when they’re established so I would also forget that and go with a canary wrasse or one of the Forcipiger butterflies if you want the splash of yellow. In that tank as long as they both go in at the same time you could get both daragonets you want. Why not have more than 1 fairy and flasher wrasse? In that tank size (I have the same tank with 10 fish and 5 are wrasse) you could have Atleast 5 wrasse. The fathead Anthias could work but will need to be fed atleast 3 times a day to thrive, with the blue spot jawfish people normally get told they need Atleast 1” of sand bed but they tend to use rocks too but 1” of sand will also work. These guys also need a rather cooler temperature than the average reef tank so it won’t thrive long term but could survive. A royal gramma will also work in that tank size.
Here’s my 100g (4’x2’x2’) stock:
- 1x Blue eye kole tang,
- 1x Magnificent Foxface,
- 1x Black Photon Clownfish,
- 1x Black margin fairy wrasse (I don’t recommend these for most people unless the rest of the wrasse are known to be highly aggressive),
- 1x Cebu Lubbock fairy wrasse (these are relatively peaceful and do great with other wrasse that aren’t in their complex mine is an exception),
- 1x Indonesian Lubbock fairy wrasse (Same as above),
- 1x Radiant wrasse (These need Atleast a 1” sand bed and are notoriously bad shippers),
- 1x Jade wrasse (Look at the Black margin)
- 1x Spotbreast angelfish,
- 1x Copperband butterflyfish.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back