stomatella snail having interesting behavior

  • Thread starter Thread starter Chameleon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 5, 2012
Messages
2,249
Reaction score
93
Location
Rockville, MD
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
The other day I noticed one of my stomatella snails sitting at the top of my life rocking and sending out a plume of dusty/milky solution every 1-2 seconds or so. There was another stomatella nearby. Is this them mating? It was really fun to watch...like a little underwater squirt gun. I wish I had a video. Thanks
Regards,
Cham
 
yes, their version of mating. launching sperm and eggs into water column. good food for filter feeders and some should survive to start a new generation.
 
i see this behavior from my booming stomatella population every 3-4 days and it's always the same. climb the tallest rock formation in my tank and release their "love juices" into the water column..lol. These guys are worse than bunnies at multiplying.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new