Stressed (?) Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse to my RSR 250 (55 gallons in display) a few months ago. He acclimated well, seemed to be doing OK for a while but now is "pacing" like you used to see animals do in zoos where cages were too small. The same behavior over and over again. I don't like it.

Is a 55 gallon really big enough? Is he really showing signs of stress? How do I tell? Has anyone else seen this stereotypic behavior in a flasher wrasse and what happened long term?

Sorry no video but if you google stereotypic behavior you can find a bunch of sad videos of other types of animals displaying this type of behavior and get the idea.

Thanks.

OP
OP
ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll watch more closely this evening when the lights are on. I hope that's what it is.

Thanks for the quick responses!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be flashing also if color fading and breathing fast it could be a parasitic issue.

OP
OP
ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely no fading color or breathing fast. All my fish go through a medicated quarantine so hopefully no parasites get through.

OP
OP
ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After watching him closely all day I think he is reacting to his reflection. He seems to notice it only once the lights are full on and the light outside the tank is lower (the sun is going).

I'm really relieved it's not a sign of a problem. Thanks everyone!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Labout's does this every night as the lights are dimming down. It allows him to see his reflection and he paces that end of the tank with his pelvic fins and dorsal fin erect until the lights get dim enough he can't see himself any longer. I thought he was psycho when he first started it. :D

Back