Sudden Euphyllia death?

Alex808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of nowhere my hammers and frog spawns are melting or polyps coming off. I lost a huge frog spawn already and now my wall hammer has been losing the battle and my huge green hammer is pretty much gone. I’m not home right now and gf is home monitoring things. Parameters are normal and stable. Habits haven’t changed at all. Same food options as well.
she told me she noticed the sexy shrimp was hanging around the Euphyllias more often now but I assume it’s eating dead tissue and not destroying them but it’ll be removed from the tank soon just in case.
First to go was the frog spawn. It came off from the skeleton. Next was the big green hammer which mostly shriveled into the skeleton but it’s probably gone. Now the wall is going.

5D4E9FAF-376A-466B-8FAF-13E92C86C458.jpeg A5860C24-02CA-4BFE-8DDC-B80A952E3C65.jpeg 5B7D1396-3130-458B-982C-29E3A212E32E.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,sorry to see,post age of tank,params,lets get some expert eyes on best wishes... #reefsquad

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of nowhere my hammers and frog spawns are melting or polyps coming off. I lost a huge frog spawn already and now my wall hammer has been losing the battle and my huge green hammer is pretty much gone. I’m not home right now and gf is home monitoring things. Parameters are normal and stable. Habits haven’t changed at all. Same food options as well.
she told me she noticed the sexy shrimp was hanging around the Euphyllias more often now but I assume it’s eating dead tissue and not destroying them but it’ll be removed from the tank soon just in case.
First to go was the frog spawn. It came off from the skeleton. Next was the big green hammer which mostly shriveled into the skeleton but it’s probably gone. Now the wall is going.

5D4E9FAF-376A-466B-8FAF-13E92C86C458.jpeg A5860C24-02CA-4BFE-8DDC-B80A952E3C65.jpeg 5B7D1396-3130-458B-982C-29E3A212E32E.jpeg
As someone mentioned, it could be brown jelly disease. Were all the euphyllia added at different times but died at the same time?

OP
OP
Alex808

Alex808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone mentioned, it could be brown jelly disease. Were all the euphyllia added at different times but died at the same time?
So a couple of these pieces I’ve had for close to a year. The green purple you see the clowns hosting is the oldest. And the small green hammer second oldest approaching a year. Recent addition being the small green hammer with 2 heads. These all came from the same LFS as well.
I’m not home to inspect them myself and look for anything with my own eye but I suspect brown jelly given the symptoms. But yes. Somewhat recent. Frog spawn stopped opening and eventually fell apart over a month ago.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i do not see bjd,could be wrong,double check alk,cal,mag,any ph fluctuations noticeable?

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this same thing happen. The corals don't show any signs of brown jelly, at least not visible. The heads just start to close and then melt off rather quickly in a day or so, sometimes in 24 hours. I have noticed that the base of the tissue of the head will turn white soon before the head starts to close . Not sure what could be the cause so it's troubling as not sure how to address it. I've done a few ICP tests and there isn't anything that stands out other than very low iron and elevated lithium but i've been told these are probably not the cause. I also have a low nutrient system and mostly sps so i thought maybe it is long term starvation but so far its really only affected torches and hammers. I'm curious to know if maybe it is something i'm dosing or have dosed in the past. I currently use, 2 part, kalkwasser, and does no3 and po4 additives to keep nutrient detectable when needed as well as Red Sea Iron. Have used Waste Away in the past but not on a regular bases. Perhaps it is some form of bacteria that lurks in my tank now that was introduced at some point?

The Big Chill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exact same problem. All of my other corals (about 30 corals in all from sps, lps and soft) are growing like weeds with no issues, parameters are good. I had 5 euphyllias, 3 torches, 1 hammer and 1 frogspawn. All started off very strong for about 4 days. 2 Torches along with the hammer started slowly receding over the next 7 days until they all ultimately died. Fast forwad 5 months......the frogspawn is still doing extremely well and 1 torch is doing very well.....very strange. So I am left with 2 very healthy euphyllias, but afraid the same fate will 1 day happen to them, but not sure exactly what happened to the others. They were in the same area of the tank so lighting and flow were the same with them all. I am glad I am not the only one going through this euphyllia mystery. My assumption is my tank may have a parasite that attacks certain euphyllia. Scared to add any new euphyllia to the tank (tried twice and they died the same way) and maybe the 2 survivors (again extremely healthy) are immune to it and don't let that parasite kill them.....or the parasite don't like those 2 particular euphyllia.....??
tank_euphyllia.JPG

AquaBiomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've described a similar issue here, and a potential treatment.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back