Suggestions for equipment

Yerxi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I attached a rough image of what I intend my new frag tank setup with a ZooMed Low Boy to look like (I'm not the guy he's just a reference for height) what are some pieces of equipment you all suggest? I already have a sump for the system and an array of lights including 2 LEDs, a T5 fixture and a mini skimmer I had on an old tank that worked amazing. I also intend to use some greenhouse roofing like I have on some other tanks to cut back the evaporation quite a bit.

Tank Build.png

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like you have it pretty covered. Add some powerheads and return pumps and away!!

I like Tunze and Jaebos depending on budget.

A gyre is nice in a shallow long tank like this but just found them a pain to clean.

OP
OP
Yerxi

Yerxi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I attached a rough image of what I intend my new frag tank setup with a ZooMed Low Boy to look like (I'm not the guy he's just a reference for height) what are some pieces of equipment you all suggest? I already have a sump for the system and an array of lights including 2 LEDs, a T5 fixture and a mini skimmer I had on an old tank that worked amazing. I also intend to use some greenhouse roofing like I have on some other tanks to cut back the evaporation quite a bit.

Tank Build.png
oh also forgot to mention i have a dosage pump with a 2 part system

OP
OP
Yerxi

Yerxi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like you have it pretty covered. Add some powerheads and return pumps and away!!
Totally forgot about those. They're an afterthought every time for me lol. Any you suggest? Don't really want expensive ones but a magnet is a must. Had the suction cup ones off amazon, good power for price but kept popping off the side. I had some that I don't know the name of in another tank but they were pretty alright and the typical shape so I could easily make anemone guards for them which id certainly want for this tank too.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lowboy. I drilled 1.5" drain in the back right corner, straight down into a 40g breeder sump with no baffles. Tunze ATO, older ASM skimmer, heater and Eheim return pump. One Tunze 6095 in the tank. I have one G4 Radion and one 250w 14k Phoenix. That is all. I mostly used stuff that I had laying around.

The lowboy is easy to light. They are not tempered (at least mine was not) so you can drill them to your needs..

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally forgot about those. They're an afterthought every time for me lol. Any you suggest? Don't really want expensive ones but a magnet is a must. Had the suction cup ones off amazon, good power for price but kept popping off the side. I had some that I don't know the name of in another tank but they were pretty alright and the typical shape so I could easily make anemone guards for them which id certainly want for this tank too.
Yes, magnet is a must. I would watch out for some used Tunze 6095s like JDA mentioned. They're common, and last forever. And Tunze can replace any part that happens to wear out.

Return pumps, there's so many options. If you're open to used, watch the classifieds. But lots of cheaper ones work well, and AC or DC would be fine for a return. And BTW, I would shop for 2 or buy a 2nd very soon after. You wouldn't want to not have a backup return pump on hand.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are used Tunze 6095 and 6055 on ebay right now for $160-180 ish. New and used Tunze 1073 return pumps for less than a hundo. Great stuff at great prices.

OP
OP
Yerxi

Yerxi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, magnet is a must. I would watch out for some used Tunze 6095s like JDA mentioned. They're common, and last forever. And Tunze can replace any part that happens to wear out.

Return pumps, there's so many options. If you're open to used, watch the classifieds. But lots of cheaper ones work well, and AC or DC would be fine for a return. And BTW, I would shop for 2 or buy a 2nd very soon after. You wouldn't want to not have a backup return pump on hand.
As far as return pumps I've been using just about the cheapest one on amazon in one of my other tanks for a little over a year (which for ~$25 if it dies now ill just buy another for the good price) and I plan on using that or another pump i have on hand. -Edit, I don't expect this thing to die anytime soon I'm just saying its made its money back at least, and any 40+gallon tanks ill just use an array of these as I've found nothing cheaper that still works this well

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back