Sump Design - Help

reefk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning my new sump and have the below in mind. Any suggestions and advice are welcome. Measurement are in inch - L - 36', W - 20', H - 18'

Sump Design.jpg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good to me. Obviously you'll have to play around with the numbers when you actually construct to compensate for the width of the baffles. I like the all in one approach. One other consideration is that since you dose Mg so infrequently, you could always scrap that compartment to give yourself a bit more frag room- however if you want the streamlined/automated look, disregard :)

I would also make sure you're using opaque baffles and some light shields between the refugium section and the frag/QT section.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. I would ask if you had considered just hanging a frag rack in a fuge or skimmer section? That small baffled section will be hard to light with a dedicated light. Also just from personal experience it may be harder to service with all the baffles. I prefer a less baffle approach myself

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.
As you asked, I am not afraid to give my honest opinions.

Way to many chambers, it will be a nightmare to clean.

I would lose all the individual dosing chambers. Yes I understand your thought here. Dose in a section of a gallon or two of water to help with precipitation and not cause a slight spike. IMO this is way overkill.
Dosing right into the in flow area is more than enough agitation to solve this problem

This would allow you room for a fourth sock, or maybe three 7 inch socks.
Much more purposeful use of space.

This will be a nightmare to keep clean. I know I said that once already.

The coral QT section, well its not realy a QT if its in the system. This Is just an observation area.
If there are hitchhikers you missed, like Flatworms or Aiptasia then you just introduced them into your DT.

If the corals need to be medicated or have an issue then you will need to put them in a real QT separate from the main system.
The correct lighting for the QTed corals will create algae that needs to be cleaned.

This will be a nightmare to keep clean. I know I said that twice already.

I have found the items that need regular maintenance should be the easiest to access. Skimmers and return pumps should be up front.
Assuming this is an under the tank sump, do you realy want to fold in half and climb in to do the maintenance?

This will be a nightmare to keep clean. I know I said that thrice already now.

If this sump is not under the tank then the locations do not matter.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@reefk , are the areas labeled Mg, Ca, Alk to hold the liquids to be dosed or where you're going to dose them? If it's the latter, then I agree with @K7BMG. If it's the former, I have no problem with that design.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@reefk , are the areas labeled Mg, Ca, Alk to hold the liquids to be dosed or where you're going to dose them? If it's the latter, then I agree with @K7BMG. If it's the former, I have no problem with that design.

I did not considder they were storrage containers. Even so my thoughs remain. The space would be better served for inflow and filtersocks.
The chambers would be a pain to clean.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.
As you asked, I am not afraid to give my honest opinions.

Way to many chambers, it will be a nightmare to clean.

I would lose all the individual dosing chambers. Yes I understand your thought here. Dose in a section of a gallon or two of water to help with precipitation and not cause a slight spike. IMO this is way overkill.
Dosing right into the in flow area is more than enough agitation to solve this problem

The coral QT section, well its not realy a QT if its in the system. This Is just an observation area.
If there are hitchhikers you missed, like Flatworms or Aiptasia then you just introduced them into your DT.

If the corals need to be medicated or have an issue then you will need to put them in a real QT separate from the main system.
The correct lighting for the QTed corals will create algae that needs to be cleaned.

I have found the items that need regular maintenance should be the easiest to access. Skimmers and return pumps should be up front.
Assuming this is an under the tank sump, do you realy want to fold in half and climb in to do the maintenance?

I have to agree with @K7BMG on this one. Often time we as hobbyist are really exited about our slice of the ocean, that we over complicate a design or build life support systems that are terrible for long term maintenance and upkeep. If i may offer one suggestion outside of what was mentioned, i would separate the fuge and have it as a separate system. I decided to do that on my latest build and it was the best decision ever!

1590359925165.png

OP
OP
reefk

reefk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also make sure you're using opaque baffles and some light shields between the refugium section and the frag/QT section.
Ahh! Opaque baffles, will keep that in mind...yes will need to fine tune a bit during the build..thanks for your suggestions :)

OP
OP
reefk

reefk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They were storage containers to hold the liquid, but like you said cleaning will be an issue..will think consider adding another filter sock..I will prefer going with 4 inch so I can use one or two for media like carbon, purigen, etc

If there are hitchhikers you missed, like Flatworms or Aiptasia then you just introduced them into your DT

The correct lighting for the QTed corals will create algae that needs to be cleaned

The idea is to run a small [500 L/h] pump that will feed the QT chamber from the skimmer section and return flow back to the skimmer section, something like the all in one built into the sump for QT. For medication or standalone purposes I should be able to lock the inflow and outflow as they are threaded bulkhead and run a small HOB skimmer. Would like to run a separate QT system but can't afford space for it now, this way I can have something.

This will be a sump under the tank, will consider swapping the ATO and return sections.

Thank you @K7BMG for all your suggestions

OP
OP
reefk

reefk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nice! ;Happy...how are they connected...is the fuse is fed off by the return pump and does the outflow from fuse end back to the skimmer section...but like this concept of
compartmentalisation..easy to maintain and take something offline if need..gets me thinking on whether I can do the same for my ATO and dosing section...@Sdot thanks for sharing and for your suggestion

OP
OP
reefk

reefk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering the suggestions have come up with 4 tweaks to design, which one do you guys think is the best to go for ?

Sump Design- Options.jpg

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! ;Happy...how are they connected...is the fuse is fed off by the return pump and does the outflow from fuse end back to the skimmer section...but like this concept of
compartmentalisation..easy to maintain and take something offline if need..gets me thinking on whether I can do the same for my ATO and dosing section...@Sdot thanks for sharing and for your suggestion
Thats exactly the point! Its fed by the return pump. The outflow goes to the pump return section.

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A looks good! I would probably swap the skimmer and the refugium section and make it flow refugium then skimmer/media chamber, would make it easier to get to skimmer cup to empty and maximize the size of the fuge.

OP
OP
reefk

reefk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After chewing on all the suggestions, below is my updated design..might tweak a little bit on things like where to add the probe holder but I like the major part of it.

Taking some clue of compartmentalisation and maintenance aspect discussed, I will build this sump as 3 independent sections so they can be taken offline/removed if not needed or when I find better use for the space ( new things hits the market always :) )

1. Main Sump Section - housing the Inflow, FS and Skimmer
2. ATO and QT Section
3. Media and Refugium Section

Section 1 to 2 & Section 1 to 3 will be connect using connectors

Hope you all like it and thanks again for all inputs ;Happy

Sump Design-Option E.jpg

Prairiereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with @K7BMG on this one. Often time we as hobbyist are really exited about our slice of the ocean, that we over complicate a design or build life support systems that are terrible for long term maintenance and upkeep. If i may offer one suggestion outside of what was mentioned, i would separate the fuge and have it as a separate system. I decided to do that on my latest build and it was the best decision ever!

1590359925165.png
How did you plumb your fuge into your overall sump system and your ato?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back