Sump Return

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KStatefan @mcarroll @George Lopez

So I've been thinking about the return plumbing, and since I believe that there will be significantly more pressure on the return pipes, than there will be on the drainage pipes. I was planning on going with SCH 40 PVC, but now I'm thinking SCH 80 is more appropriate. I also know that a lot of people use the threaded hose and clamps for their returns as well. What are your opinions on this? If I were to go with SCH 80, would I need a SCH 80 bulkhead, or would the ABS bulkhead still work? Planning on going from 1-1/2 inch pipe to two 3/4 inch pipes using a T-joint, or a Y-joint if I can find t he proper one.

There's almost no pressure in the plumbing for our systems...regular Sch 40 will be fine. Just don't forget to glue the joints together! ;) :)

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KStatefan @mcarroll @George Lopez

So I've been thinking about the return plumbing, and since I believe that there will be significantly more pressure on the return pipes, than there will be on the drainage pipes. I was planning on going with SCH 40 PVC, but now I'm thinking SCH 80 is more appropriate. I also know that a lot of people use the threaded hose and clamps for their returns as well. What are your opinions on this? If I were to go with SCH 80, would I need a SCH 80 bulkhead, or would the ABS bulkhead still work? Planning on going from 1-1/2 inch pipe to two 3/4 inch pipes using a T-joint, or a Y-joint if I can find t he proper one.

Schedule 40 pvc is rated for 200+ psi depending on size. Your return pump will be less than 10 psi.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your more than good with 40 lol you are nowhere near 200+ psi running pressure. People like 80 because of the color and for bulk heads (fyi they are larger in hole size so abs and sch 80 do not interchange).

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, apparently there was a glitch in the matrix, and I somehow posted the word "Thanks" several times more than I intended. Now I have another question:
@George Lopez @KStatefan @mcarroll
Any benefits in using flex PVC over the traditional rigid stuff for the return line? I'm not sure how much head loss elbows add things, but I believe that using flex PVC would greatly diminish the amount of fittings used in routing the line, which would both simplify the line, and decrease the total head loss incurred.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly Flex will decrease your head loss but not by much , also you have to remember a flex curve is a lot larger than a 90-degree elbow or 45 so we have to compensate with space which also increases length of pipe which increases head lost so difference in head losses not that much.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I agree.

If the installation was such that you could make the run a lot shorter by using flex, then you might stand to gain.

But if the length is similar I don't think the game will be much if any.

Upsizing the diameter of your plumbing may do more than going flex.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I agree.

If the installation was such that you could make the run a lot shorter by using flex, then you might stand to gain.

But if the length is similar I don't think the game will be much if any.

Upsizing the diameter of your plumbing may do more than going flex.
Gonna go with standard pvc on this then. Thanks everyone!

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks cleaner anyways lol
20180424_201645.jpg

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use flex. That stuff is awful. It has a large radius bend to it, and it is anything but flexible. Nothing like a clean installation using rigid plumbing. Also, like mentioned before, Sch 80 is way way way overkill. With 6 feet of head pressure, you will be producing a little over 2.5 PSI right at the pump. Schedule 40 is rated to 150-200 depending on diameter, and has a rupture of even higher. People used it back in the day because it looked better, but now you can get Sch 40 in any color you want. Also, Sch 40 and 80 both have the same OD, so the only way to make a thicker wall is to shrink the ID. In other words, Sch 40 flows more water.

Not that you need to know this, but one atmosphere is 14.7 PSI. In other words, the difference in pressure from the vacuum of space, to sitting at sea level on a standard day. 33' of saltwater will also exert one atmosphere. So 6' of head divided by 33' gives you gives you 0.181818 atmosphere, or 2.67 PSI. It is pretty amazing that there is only 14.7 PSI of pressure difference between sitting on the beach, and floating in space. It only takes 33' of saltwater to exert the same amount of force as almost 300 miles of atmosphere. Water is heavy! That air in your car tires is exerting twice as much pressure as the entire atmosphere is pushing on you right now.....

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use flex. That stuff is awful. It has a large radius bend to it, and it is anything but flexible. Nothing like a clean installation using rigid plumbing. Also, like mentioned before, Sch 80 is way way way overkill. With 6 feet of head pressure, you will be producing a little over 2.5 PSI right at the pump. Schedule 40 is rated to 150-200 depending on diameter, and has a rupture of even higher. People used it back in the day because it looked better, but now you can get Sch 40 in any color you want. Also, Sch 40 and 80 both have the same OD, so the only way to make a thicker wall is to shrink the ID. In other words, Sch 40 flows more water.

Not that you need to know this, but one atmosphere is 14.7 PSI. In other words, the difference in pressure from the vacuum of space, to sitting at sea level on a standard day. 33' of saltwater will also exert one atmosphere. So 6' of head divided by 33' gives you gives you 0.181818 atmosphere, or 2.67 PSI. It is pretty amazing that there is only 14.7 PSI of pressure difference between sitting on the beach, and floating in space. It only takes 33' of saltwater to exert the same amount of force as almost 300 miles of atmosphere. Water is heavy! That air in your car tires is exerting twice as much pressure as the entire atmosphere is pushing on you right now.....
#Science

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back