chrissymoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All! Super new to the hobby. Just “inherited” a 120 gal tank + fish from a friend who was moving. I’m looking for tips and advice as to how I can make the tank better.

It’s a 120 gallon tank running on a fluval FX4 filter, eheim jager thermostat heater, 2 AI prime lights and 2 waverunners. The protein skimmer it came with broke.

The tank is stocked with live sand and live rock.

• 1 small green carpet anemone.
  • 1 blue hippo tang
  • 4 clownfish
  • 1 lawnmower blenny
  • 1 wrasse (don’t know the type)
  • 1 blue velvet damsel
  • 1 lemon damsel
  • A few hermit crabs

I need a suggestion for a new protein skimmer. I also need suggestions for a clean up crew.

How is the stocking of fish looking? Can I get more fish?

Also, how do I know if the anemone is doing well?

I also have a problem with temperature fluctuation. I’m in PA and the tank is in our basement… I was thinking of getting another heater, but will it be too much?

Thanks in advance.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! I would post a thread in the Clownfish and Anemone Forum for a answer to your question on the nem. When it comes to Skimmers, it really depends on what you want to spend. I recommend going to Bulk Reef Supply site and checking them out. They have, for the most part, all skimmers available and have a ton of videos to help to choose. They also have a ton of videos to help you in this endeavor. You can also ask us at R2R and we will help in any way.

wesleyferrell94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome! I would be interested to see how you progress in this. With the heater question. Monitor your temperature and if you are unable to keep the temp stable and where you want it then getting a second heater is a good option. I currently have to have 2 heaters in my 25 gallon tank because of the cold winter nights.

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All! Super new to the hobby. Just “inherited” a 120 gal tank + fish from a friend who was moving. I’m looking for tips and advice as to how I can make the tank better.

It’s a 120 gallon tank running on a fluval FX4 filter, eheim jager thermostat heater, 2 AI prime lights and 2 waverunners. The protein skimmer it came with broke.

• 1 blue hippo tang
  • 4 clownfish
  • 1 lawnmower blenny
  • 1 blue velvet damsel
  • 1 lemon damsel
  • A few hermit crabs

I need a suggestion for a new protein skimmer. I also need suggestions for a clean up crew.

I also have a problem with temperature fluctuation. I’m in PA and the tank is in our basement… I was thinking of getting another heater, but will it be too much?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 70433.png
    70433.png
    57 KB · Views: 40

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, before you start stocking the tank with more fish, do your homework on both fish and equipment.
Read up on what exactly you inherited before making additions.

Good luck, you're in the right place and that's a great start.

ZomboMeme 26122020090538.jpg

OP
OP
C

chrissymoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome! I would be interested to see how you progress in this. With the heater question. Monitor your temperature and if you are unable to keep the temp stable and where you want it then getting a second heater is a good option. I currently have to have 2 heaters in my 25 gallon tank because of the cold winter nights.
Well the progress is looking dismal. Because of the freeze, I put in two smaller heaters. The tank overheated to 87 degrees!! I think it stressed the hippo tang out and it wedged itself in a rock and died I’m devastated

wesleyferrell94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the progress is looking dismal. Because of the freeze, I put in two smaller heaters. The tank overheated to 87 degrees!! I think it stressed the hippo tang out and it wedged itself in a rock and died I’m devastated
Oh no! Crazy weather can always throw things off. Sorry for your loss of tang!

Make sure the heaters are set to the temp you want. Regardless of how many you have they should turn themselves off at the set temp. They might not be super accurate so watch it and dial it down untill it starts to stay in the 76-78 range

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

• 1 blue hippo tang
  • 4 clownfish
  • 1 lawnmower blenny
  • 1 blue velvet damsel
  • 1 lemon damsel
  • A few hermit crabs

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to R2R
Welcome to R2R.JPG

go slow for now especially as you have just moved the tank recently but there is space for some more

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back