Survival - not the TV show....

The Percent of my small frags (1 inch) that grow into colonies >5 inches is:

  • <10%

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 11-50%

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 51-99%

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • 100%

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whats a frag - I only buy larger corals.

    Votes: 1 16.7%

  • Total voters
    6

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 28, 2016
Messages
27,129
Reaction score
24,931
Location
Midwest
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Curious people are always buying frags - and every now and then (every other day lol:) there is a comment about 'the high prices'. So - I'm curious - what percentage of your frags actually 'grow into colonies - lets say 5 inches or more. How important do you think stable alkalinity is in keeping yours frags growing (comment)

BTW (for the purposes of this thread - don't count frags that grow large and then are fragged) - you can count them as 'survivors'.
 
Last edited:
Yup, I’m pretty unstable over time. I have grown some +5 colonies but I frag them and sell, trade, or give them to the LFS. Since Indo has closed I am rethinking my ways.
 
Maybe a better question would be about mortality rate before corals reach 5". I've got quite a few corals in my 125. To the best of my recollection, Ive only lost four. I have some that have gotten very big, but a lot that have not reached 5" yet. If I group all of my smaller corals into the less than 5" category, it would kind of look like I have a high mortality rate. If that makes any sense. It would be interesting to find out how successful we are as a group at raising our frags into large colonies. And stable alkalinity is very important in my opinion.
 
Maybe a better question would be about mortality rate before corals reach 5". I've got quite a few corals in my 125. To the best of my recollection, Ive only lost four. I have some that have gotten very big, but a lot that have not reached 5" yet. If I group all of my smaller corals into the less than 5" category, it would kind of look like I have a high mortality rate. If that makes any sense. It would be interesting to find out how successful we are as a group at raising our frags into large colonies. And stable alkalinity is very important in my opinion.
That was the question I was actually trying to ask - how would you re-word it? PS - I did edit the comment in the thread (the first one)
 
That was the question I was actually trying to ask - how would you re-word it? PS - I did edit the comment in the thread (the first one)

I have no idea. I'm not very good with words. They kind of scare me. Maybe one of our wordsmiths out there can help. It really would be helpful I think to get a general idea of how successful we are, not only with raising corals in our homes, but also how much we are able to put them back out there for others.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new