• <10%

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 11-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 51-99%

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • 100%

• Whats a frag - I only buy larger corals.

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious people are always buying frags - and every now and then (every other day lol:) there is a comment about 'the high prices'. So - I'm curious - what percentage of your frags actually 'grow into colonies - lets say 5 inches or more. How important do you think stable alkalinity is in keeping yours frags growing (comment)

BTW (for the purposes of this thread - don't count frags that grow large and then are fragged) - you can count them as 'survivors'.

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I’m pretty unstable over time. I have grown some +5 colonies but I frag them and sell, trade, or give them to the LFS. Since Indo has closed I am rethinking my ways.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a better question would be about mortality rate before corals reach 5". I've got quite a few corals in my 125. To the best of my recollection, Ive only lost four. I have some that have gotten very big, but a lot that have not reached 5" yet. If I group all of my smaller corals into the less than 5" category, it would kind of look like I have a high mortality rate. If that makes any sense. It would be interesting to find out how successful we are as a group at raising our frags into large colonies. And stable alkalinity is very important in my opinion.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe a better question would be about mortality rate before corals reach 5". I've got quite a few corals in my 125. To the best of my recollection, Ive only lost four. I have some that have gotten very big, but a lot that have not reached 5" yet. If I group all of my smaller corals into the less than 5" category, it would kind of look like I have a high mortality rate. If that makes any sense. It would be interesting to find out how successful we are as a group at raising our frags into large colonies. And stable alkalinity is very important in my opinion.
That was the question I was actually trying to ask - how would you re-word it? PS - I did edit the comment in the thread (the first one)

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was the question I was actually trying to ask - how would you re-word it? PS - I did edit the comment in the thread (the first one)

I have no idea. I'm not very good with words. They kind of scare me. Maybe one of our wordsmiths out there can help. It really would be helpful I think to get a general idea of how successful we are, not only with raising corals in our homes, but also how much we are able to put them back out there for others.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Back