OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on the test with long term high potassium level against AEFW.
So it's been five days since the last dose KCl and I had a look today at the corals. Haven't seen the tank in five days but my colleagues have kept the KH stable with manual dosing of Core7.
So far the newly glued corals haven't done well. Some were totally bleached. Some on their way. Most of the "old" healthy colonies looked fine.
I saw a small snail and some small Echinoderms still alive.

So not a great result so far, I was hoping for better results and survival.
I moved the dead corals and moved one back to the propagation tank to save it. The rest is still in the treatment tanks. Not sure if we keep the experiment going or not. We'll see.,

Maybe this was a stupid try, but I still wanted to try. Maybe we raised the potassium too fast. Maybe something else could have been done better.

Here a couple of pictures from this morning, before I removed anything.

IMG_6854.JPG
IMG_6855.JPG

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this was a stupid try, but I still wanted to try. Maybe we raised the potassium too fast. Maybe something else could have been done better.
We gain more satisfaction from successful trials but often we learn more from the less successful ones. Both have value. I am grateful for the knowledge gained by your taking the time and risk to try it.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We gain more satisfaction from successful trials but often we learn more from the less successful ones. Both have value. I am grateful for the knowledge gained by your taking the time and risk to try it.
Bummer, gotta try. I can relate. I have a graveyard of coral rock which had live corals on them. :(

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended the experiment today. Changed a lot of water and started a third tank in the same system. Now I just want this system to be good enough for corals in between dips.

I also want to add some fish, just to add some nutrients. I catched a Ctenochaetus tang from a propagation tank but used the wrong net. Always make sure the net is whole :oops:
#youonlygetoneshot

IMG_6856.JPG

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you had some deaths in the treatment tank. I found that corals would rtn or burn when I raised potassium more than 30 or 40 ppm in a day. Why not try the purge from uwc to kill off the aefw?
I'm a big fan of UWC, but I doubt it is reasonable to try and use it on this scale. The costs would be massive.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you had some deaths in the treatment tank. I found that corals would rtn or burn when I raised potassium more than 30 or 40 ppm in a day. Why not try the purge from uwc to kill off the aefw?
I'm a big fan of UWC, but I doubt it is reasonable to try and use it on this scale. The costs would be massive.

The UWC product could be used in these tanks, that's true. I will look into the cost and have a look at that their thread again. Thanks!

Whichever product or chemical we'll use, it'll be a high cost. Even the pure KCl we bought were quite expensive, and we needed a lot to raise the K to 800 ppm.
I might go back to my testing with very short term dips in low salinity. At least that's the cheapest way to go :)
I'll read through my notes from that tomorrow and share.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found my notes. This was my procedure:

Tank water + RO water -> salinity 10 ppt
Made two buckets and let them sit in the tank to even out the temperature. pH was a little higher than in the tank water. Don't know why..
Dipped 4 newly cut Acropora staghorns, 2 for 10 seconds and 2 in 20 seconds. AEFW fell of and died quite quickly in the 10ppt buckets.
The 4 corals were glued and put back in the tank. They were not happy afterwards, released a lot of mucus. But all of them survived.
So that's my poor mans AEFW dip recipe :)

I'll give that a new try soon I think!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Made two buckets and let them sit in the tank to even out the temperature. pH was a little higher than in the tank water. Don't know why..
Dipped 4 newly cut Acropora staghorns, 2 for 10 seconds and 2 in 20 seconds. AEFW fell of and died quite quickly in the 10ppt buckets.
The 4 corals were glued and put back in the tank. They were not happy afterwards, released a lot of mucus. But all of them survived.

I discovered this evening I still have aefw, the coral was dipped in a 4x original dose raised K dip, I guess 800 plus, i need a test kit that reads higher, . update tomorrow! ;)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6862.JPG
IMG_6863.JPG
IMG_6859.JPG
IMG_6865.JPG
IMG_6865.JPG
Cleaned some windows today, so I took some photos while the pumps were of.
Here's the 10000L tank today :)
How many fish do you think are in that system? And have you found homes for them all yet?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fish do you think are in that system? And have you found homes for them all yet?

Hm, without looking in our notes I would guess:
25 anthias
11 tangs
10 damsels
8 wrasse
2 firefish ( don't remember the correct name)
2 clowns
3 Filefish
8 gobys
3 angelfish
1 butterflyfish
+ about 15 fishes in the propagation tanks.

Probably forgetting something :)

I haven't arranged the setup for the tanks in the temporary Aquarium yet, so I can't say for sure that they all will fit. But we got a couple of public aquariums close to us, so I think we will find new homes for them if needed :)
I'm glad we got lots of fish to choose from for the propagation/temporary tanks. I hope we don't need to buy that many new ones. We will need Filefishes for Aiptasia though, that much I know. Or maybe Berghia nudies. We'll see.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the pink tips that have developed on that abrohlosensis! That's the nicest colony I have seen yet. Normally people just get a little pink it the tip but that colony looks like it travels down the branch an inch or so, awesome!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't know if good idea, but you almost have to leave in there for few seconds/minutes? Then shake them gently.Repeat. Remove when you think should. Also Auto vibration would be interesting comes on & off timed?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if good idea, but you almost have to leave in there for few seconds/minutes? Then shake them gently.Repeat. Remove when you think should. Also Auto vibration would be interesting comes on & off timed?
Here's a new one, dip manually like your doing, use ultra sound to see if help remove worms. When to use ultrasound your guess?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the pink tips that have developed on that abrohlosensis! That's the nicest colony I have seen yet. Normally people just get a little pink it the tip but that colony looks like it travels down the branch an inch or so, awesome!

Thanks! Yes, I'm happy all the staghorns doing really well in this tank. I found eggs/sperm bundles inside one of them when I cut a branch a while ago. That should be a good sign for health I think :)

There's a lot of light and flow at the surface in this tank. Seems like the perfect spot for staghorns.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally!! A package I've been waiting for. Apparently it's been at the post office for a week or two, nobody asked me if I was waiting for a delivery.. But now it's here!
IMG_6870.JPG

Looks a bit like the Core7 box :)

IMG_6871.JPG

IMG_6872.JPG

Yaaay!! N-DOC tests from Triton lab! Now we can measure even more stuff :D
Got an idea on how this works, talked to Ehsan and Tim from Triton last weekend at MACE, but it'll probably take some time to understand the whole thing. And time to reread some articles about DOC ;Couchpotato

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a new one, dip manually like your doing, use ultra sound to see if help remove worms. When to use ultrasound your guess?

In the test I did I shook them gently during the whole dip. I tried just 10 secs and 20 secs. So it was very shorts dips. But I've tested to dip corals in fresh water and I didn't want the same result this time :) (don't do it)

You need to explain more about auto vibration and ultrasound. Put the bucket on a vibration "machine"? How to use ultrasound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%

Back