Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the experiments we do in order to have solutions of different tasks tested is to see if we can run a phytoplankton reactor automatically. The goal is that every morning we come to work can have a freshly harvest cup of phytoplankton to our animals. The end goal is to have a system that feed phytoplankton continuously. An in line reactor. The one I construct have a sump with around 4 litres. A reactor containing 1 litre. The idea was from the beginning to run the water continuously through the reactor but I could not get as small pumpas I want - therefore I run it discontinuously. Empty the reaction chamber and fill it up with new water from the sump every 20 minutes. The reactor is covered with a 4 meter LED strip containing blue and red diodes. The first obstacle was the heat - after 3 days - the whole system was over 30 degrees C. This was solved with a fan pointing both against the water surface and the reactor. It is regulated by a GHL P4. For the moment - I´m able to run the system at 23 degree C (plus - minus 0.2 degree C). Th P4 admit me to use the same temp probe as a virtual probe too, hence can I have another function that shout down the light if the temperature reach 28 degree C. A level indicator and a doser 2 fix the evaporation. One dose pump dose fertilizers and number 3 and 4 pump out the algae and fill up with new water from a store container.

Overview

test set up 1.jpg

Pump - computer

test set up 0.jpg

Reactor/sump

test set up 4.jpg

The result

test set up 2.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the experiments we do in order to have solutions of different tasks tested is to see if we can run a phytoplankton reactor automatically. The goal is that every morning we come to work can have a freshly harvest cup of phytoplankton to our animals. The end goal is to have a system that feed phytoplankton continuously. An in line reactor. The one I construct have a sump with around 4 litres. A reactor containing 1 litre. The idea was from the beginning to run the water continuously through the reactor but I could not get as small pumpas I want - therefore I run it discontinuously. Empty the reaction chamber and fill it up with new water from the sump every 20 minutes. The reactor is covered with a 4 meter LED strip containing blue and red diodes. The first obstacle was the heat - after 3 days - the whole system was over 30 degrees C. This was solved with a fan pointing both against the water surface and the reactor. It is regulated by a GHL P4. For the moment - I´m able to run the system at 23 degree C (plus - minus 0.2 degree C). Th P4 admit me to use the same temp probe as a virtual probe too, hence can I have another function that shout down the light if the temperature reach 28 degree C. A level indicator and a doser 2 fix the evaporation. One dose pump dose fertilizers and number 3 and 4 pump out the algae and fill up with new.

Overview

test set up 1.jpg

Pump - computer

test set up 0.jpg

Reactor/sump

test set up 4.jpg

The result

test set up 2.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

That's were the dosing pumps went. No wonder Sallstrom has to manually dose.:)
I don't forget.:p

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the experiments we do in order to have solutions of different tasks tested is to see if we can run a phytoplankton reactor automatically. The goal is that every morning we come to work can have a freshly harvest cup of phytoplankton to our animals. The end goal is to have a system that feed phytoplankton continuously. An in line reactor. The one I construct have a sump with around 4 litres. A reactor containing 1 litre. The idea was from the beginning to run the water continuously through the reactor but I could not get as small pumpas I want - therefore I run it discontinuously. Empty the reaction chamber and fill it up with new water from the sump every 20 minutes. The reactor is covered with a 4 meter LED strip containing blue and red diodes. The first obstacle was the heat - after 3 days - the whole system was over 30 degrees C. This was solved with a fan pointing both against the water surface and the reactor. It is regulated by a GHL P4. For the moment - I´m able to run the system at 23 degree C (plus - minus 0.2 degree C). Th P4 admit me to use the same temp probe as a virtual probe too, hence can I have another function that shout down the light if the temperature reach 28 degree C. A level indicator and a doser 2 fix the evaporation. One dose pump dose fertilizers and number 3 and 4 pump out the algae and fill up with new.

Overview

test set up 1.jpg

Pump - computer

test set up 0.jpg

Reactor/sump

test set up 4.jpg

The result

test set up 2.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

Now it's looking more like my aquarium.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say phytoplankton culture, which strain.
A undeliberately mix of Nannochloropsis and Isochryssis :)
But soon I plan on getting rid of the Nannochloropsis and restart the Isochryssis cultures. Maybe get some more species going as well.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably nannochloropsis spp - but I´m unsure. I was started with the blue green synechococcus spp (Cyanobacteria) but that culture crashed. Restart with some nannochloropsis without cleaning. But now the culture start to be really blue green in colour - so I´m not sure.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the experiments we do in order to have solutions of different tasks tested is to see if we can run a phytoplankton reactor automatically. The goal is that every morning we come to work can have a freshly harvest cup of phytoplankton to our animals. The end goal is to have a system that feed phytoplankton continuously. An in line reactor. The one I construct have a sump with around 4 litres. A reactor containing 1 litre. The idea was from the beginning to run the water continuously through the reactor but I could not get as small pumpas I want - therefore I run it discontinuously. Empty the reaction chamber and fill it up with new water from the sump every 20 minutes. The reactor is covered with a 4 meter LED strip containing blue and red diodes. The first obstacle was the heat - after 3 days - the whole system was over 30 degrees C. This was solved with a fan pointing both against the water surface and the reactor. It is regulated by a GHL P4. For the moment - I´m able to run the system at 23 degree C (plus - minus 0.2 degree C). Th P4 admit me to use the same temp probe as a virtual probe too, hence can I have another function that shout down the light if the temperature reach 28 degree C. A level indicator and a doser 2 fix the evaporation. One dose pump dose fertilizers and number 3 and 4 pump out the algae and fill up with new water from a store container.

Overview

test set up 1.jpg

Pump - computer

test set up 0.jpg

Reactor/sump

test set up 4.jpg

The result

test set up 2.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

Could you get the GHL computer to clean the inside of the acrylic too?! ;)
With this experiment I'm the old grumpy one who's says it can't be done(I think buckets with manual harvesting works fine) :D
But telling @Lasse that only results in him trying harder. So I guess we'll get our automatic phytoplankton station sooner or later :)

Really want to get back to the Aquarium now. Four days away and lots of new ideas and contacts from MACE. Still on the train.. But back at work tomorrow morning!

Here's the old soft coral tank. Photo from last week. It's about 12-13 years old and most of the fish are still going strong.

IMG_6699.JPG

Last edited:

gregkn73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Overview

test set up 1.jpg

Pump - computer

test set up 0.jpg

Reactor/sump

test set up 4.jpg

The result

test set up 2.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

As I understand, you dose phytoplankton and then add water from another tank. By continuously adding phyto, doesn't your alkanity, in DT , rise? How do you sterilise the water you add to the culture?

PS I think Sallstrom, is right. Automated maintained phyto culture and dosing is impossible. Just add a big jar, οr tank in your case, of phyto, above your tank, and let gravity do the rest :)

PS2 in the past I tried an automated maintained and dosing of rotifer culture , with poor results. Manual is better and simpler :)

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The test in this case is to get an answer if it is possible to have a smaller reactor and have a bulk algae/water below - it means that not all algae gets light at the same time. Inside attaching algae - it can be a problem but no one knows the effect of the light :) (more than me :)) If it is possible to run it a month or two between cleaning - it is enough for me but - it is not sure that the construction of the light will be the same in a large cylinder. I have cultivate fresh water phytoplankton continuously for month without any problems before. The light was constructed in another way - not from the sides. Contamination is a problem but for the moment I do not use aquarium water - I use fresh saltwater. It has run for 3 weeks now.

Siuncerely Lasse

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I understand, you dose phytoplankton and then add water from another tank. By continuously adding phyto, doesn't your alkanity, in DT , rise? How do you sterilise the water you add to the culture?

PS I think Sallstrom, is right. Automated maintained phyto culture and dosing is impossible. Just add a big jar, οr tank in your case, of phyto, above your tank, and let gravity do the rest :)

PS2 in the past I tried an automated maintained and dosing of rotifer culture , with poor results. Manual is better and simpler :)

The very simple culture we run now has worked fine for three years now. Without getting new phytoplankton, the starting cultures are still going. Except that the Nannochloropsis and Isochryssis have got mixed up and the N. are taking over more and more :)
We got one 10L bucket for each day of the week. Harvest about 8-9 litres a day. Fill up with newly mixed saltwater via a UV-filter. Clean the buckets now and then. Air bubbles for circulation and one large green house LED for all 7 buckets.
Every time a culture crash, we got six other ones to get a start culture from.

Not fancy, but it works and with maximum 10 minutes of work a day we get 8-9 litres of phytoplankton every day.

A challenge will be to get more species. Probably need to place the cultures in different rooms. I want to have a reliable culture with Isochryssis for copepods in the future. And a Synechococcus for NPS. Hmm. Lots of cultures:p

We are also trying to get grass shrimps to reproduce. Just raised the temp so hopefully they'll start soon. We'll see. We can't get a hold of any live ones during the winter so it would be great to produce some ourself. As food for the cuttlefish mostly, but also the seahorses.

Yes @Jomama , we need more staff to do everything we want to! :D

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea was from the beginning to run the water continuously through the reactor but I could not get as small pumpas I want - therefore I run it discontinuously.
Is there any reason you couldn't use one dosing pump on its slowest speed to run to feed from the tank and another to return to the tank? Run each one for 5 minutes every hour?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any reason you couldn't use one dosing pump on its slowest speed to run to feed from the tank and another to return to the tank? Run each one for 5 minutes every hour?

Yes it is but they squeeze and they ar not build for continuously run. There is other possibilities that I will test - but i will let this run to the next crash - and then - start over and do right.

Sincerely Lasse

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is but they squeeze and they ar not build for continuously run. There is other possibilities that I will test - but i will let this run to the next crash - and then - start over and do right.

Sincerely Lasse
Well, these still squeeze, but they are variable flow and designed for continuously running. Marketed to the hobby for use on calcium reactors. Is squeezing a problem with the culture?
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/fx-stp-peristaltic-dosing-pump-kamoer.html

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse
Lasse can't do it. He just CAN'T do it. I might be wrong? :p

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse
There's other ways, I'm letting Lasse figure out. I can't figure out everything, I cant be everywhere. :). Hint, gravity solenoid valves, compressor air tanks, that fill up with culture, then move culture with compressed air. Hope I make sense

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can be - but I´m not sure if the cells get bad.

Sincerely Lasse
I doubt it would have much of an impact. It does squeeze the water out from where the roller pinches, but the majority of fluids get pushed between the rollers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%

Back