Not open for further replies.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse

I really appreciate your scientific inquisitiveness. It’s essential to science that we always wonder, always inquire, and always look to discover new understanding. In the short time I’ve been posting here, you have pushed me to try to expand my understandings, and I feel like I’m learning new things every day.

It is very easy...if not human nature...to settle into what we know (or what we think we know) and be satisfied. But science encourages us to always continue wondering and asking. You do an excellent job of wondering and asking. Keep it up!

@Sallstrom

You have also been inspirational to me. In reading this thread and from afar watching you and your team conceptualize what you want to do and then put countless pieces of this massive puzzle together has been not only fun and interesting, but I have been encouraged to push past my comfort zone and take some ambitious directions with some of the tanks I do.

After New Years, I’m starting a complete reboot of what is already a successful 1600L reef and aiming for the stars. I will undoubtedly be summing you and Lasse for ideas.

(believe it or not, I really haven’t had that much to drink)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse

I really appreciate your scientific inquisitiveness. It’s essential to science that we always wonder, always inquire, and always look to discover new understanding. In the short time I’ve been posting here, you have pushed me to try to expand my understandings, and I feel like I’m learning new things every day.

It is very easy...if not human nature...to settle into what we know (or what we think we know) and be satisfied. But science encourages us to always continue wondering and asking. You do an excellent job of wondering and asking. Keep it up!

@Sallstrom

You have also been inspirational to me. In reading this thread and from afar watching you and your team conceptualize what you want to do and then put countless pieces of this massive puzzle together has been not only fun and interesting, but I have been encouraged to push past my comfort zone and take some ambitious directions with some of the tanks I do.

After New Years, I’m starting a complete reboot of what is already a successful 1600L reef and aiming for the stars. I will undoubtedly be summing you and Lasse for ideas.

(believe it or not, I really haven’t had that much to drink)

Thank you Gregg! Looking forward to see your rebuild and I always appreciate your posts in this thread!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us updated, I started at 430 and went off scale (only goes to 500 on this kit), first dose took me to 480 so next increase should have been less than 600, loving following this! :)

Just don't go too high in potassium if you have fish and other animals in the same tank. Do a search and I think you'll find some people suspecting high potassium killed their fish and shrimps etc.

The corals looked fine this morning. KH dipped 0,3 dKH so I've tested to manually dose Core7. Will measure again in a couple of hours and see if the dose was enough.
I'm so used to our large tanks/systems, so it's a bit tricky with a small system now :)
Will add more potassium chloride today, and tomorrow my colleague will add the rest. Our calculation will give us a K at 850 ppm(started with tank water measured with Triton ICP). We don't have any test for K ourselves, so we need to assume the ICP test is correct and then calculate the dose to get to the wanted value. That's why I don't want to changes water in the treatment tank.

IMG_6694.JPG

Acropora hyacinthus and a brown staghorn in tank no 2.
One good thing about this treatment(if it works :D) is that it's possible to add more corals later, as long as we keep track on how long they they have stayed in the tank.

Here's a Core7 manual dosing station that I made this morning. Everything to make it easier for my colleagues (and me). :)
IMG_6692.JPG

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I first wanted to install dosing pumps, but sometimes dosing manually is just easier :)

And someone stole the dosing pump for his own crazy experiments :)

Sincerely Lasse

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what's the point in raising potassium to 800 in a treatment tank? How are you not seeing tip burn when raising potassium so fast?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what's the point in raising potassium to 800 in a treatment tank? How are you not seeing tip burn when raising potassium so fast?

The idea is to try and see what results we get.
After reading several threads on different forums and talked to aquarists with personal experience with elevated levels of potassium, I want to try to raise potassium to a level hopefully too high for flatworms, but not to high for corals.

Yes, it might be too fast. But it might not. We'll see. Too soon to say anything now. No burnt tips so far.

Yes, it's a risk. But if the corals start fading away, we can just move them back into our propagation tanks.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don't go too high in potassium if you have fish and other animals in the same tank. Do a search and I think you'll find some people suspecting high potassium killed their fish and shrimps etc.

The corals looked fine this morning. KH dipped 0,3 dKH so I've tested to manually dose Core7. Will measure again in a couple of hours and see if the dose was enough.
I'm so used to our large tanks/systems, so it's a bit tricky with a small system now :)
Will add more potassium chloride today, and tomorrow my colleague will add the rest. Our calculation will give us a K at 850 ppm(started with tank water measured with Triton ICP). We don't have any test for K ourselves, so we need to assume the ICP test is correct and then calculate the dose to get to the wanted value. That's why I don't want to changes water in the treatment tank.

IMG_6694.JPG

Acropora hyacinthus and a brown staghorn in tank no 2.
One good thing about this treatment(if it works :D) is that it's possible to add more corals later, as long as we keep track on how long they they have stayed in the tank.

Here's a Core7 manual dosing station that I made this morning. Everything to make it easier for my colleagues (and me). :)
IMG_6692.JPG

I am only using it as a dip, I did read also, I'm not brave enough to try in in a living reef system. ;)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Gregg.

@Sallstrom Have a good trip to the exhibition.

Sincerely Lasse

The trip started with a delayed buss, was standing outside waiting in 0 degrees for one hour in the middle of the night. Swedish transportation....
But now I'm i Denmark, and the trains are going when their supposed to. Just 12 hours left, then I'm at the hotel. Looking forward the the Marine Conference of Europe in Netherlands:)
Will post pictures tomorrow!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However - Flixbuss is a company from Germany :)

Sincerely Lasse
Haha, unfortunately this was bus4you. Norwegian maybe? Or Swedish.. :D
Now I'm on a German train. Feels safe. Soon a short stop in Hamburg. Not long enough to visit Hagenbeck aquarium. But enough for a beer at the station :p

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would shrivel up, like dry meat, in your weather. Not use to it. I can do with shirt & Levi's 30f, on sunny day. Skiing, when I did ski. Loooong time ago:)

Have fun, my friend. Don't forget your smarter than the average bear. :D
We're crazy people, many of us actually like the winter and the cold temperatures. And I used to play soccer outside year around, from -20 to 30 degrees;)

It will be really fun to meet some people from the industry and also see how the frag swap works here. And the talks of course.
The other large thing in Europe is Interzoo in Germany. But that's also for cats, dogs and horses. So it'll be nice with a specific conference for marine aquariums.

Last edited:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're crazy people, many of us actually like the winter and the cold temperatures. And I used to play soccer outside year around, from -20 to 30 degrees;)

It will be really fun to meet some people from the industry and also see how the frag swap works here. And the talks of course.
The other large thing in Europe is Interzoo in Germany. But that's also for cats, dogs and horses. So it'll be nice with a specific conference for marine aquariums.

What the museum should look into, is setup a business which is seperate from museum, for liability reasons, to sell frags? As long as some aren't endangered species?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back