T5 being phased out?

Lol21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad ati confirmed its false.. i love their bukbs and t5s in gsneral.. i refuse to go to crappy LEDz.. yes i saud it leds are crap

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5's are here to stay. There is a bigger worry....

I heard that All Current LED Aquarium lighting will soon be out-of-date technology.

To be replaced by newer OLED 4K lighting with 144hz refresh rate and Freesync-2 compatible.

Ooops. Wrong forum....LOl

PasstheTorch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 36 inch ati 6 bulb and 6 various bulbs from my most trusted distributor and I hope for long term availability and from their response I’ll have no trouble with that!

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew my first acro colony in 2001 with that same set-up. It was brown as heck, but still proud
You guys are in luck. RETRO days are possible :)

I still have my ICECAP VHO setup collecting dust in my Workshop. (Spare wood/wire)
With Extra Encaps!!

ICEcapVHO.jpg

The 65 Gallon DIY canopy was converted into to a Great Christmas Tree Stand...

CanopyChristmansStand.jpg

Last edited:

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my gosh. Things get so out of hand with speculation and false information being spread like butter on a hot pan.

The Bush law, created back in 2007 if I remember correctly created the Energy Independence and Security Act, and set energy-efficiency standards for light bulbs that would have come fully into effect by 2012. The law required light bulbs to use 25-30 percent less power than incandescent lamps used. The original law has been updated setting higher standards so yes the next target is-was fluorescent lamps.

Anyway this was the start of the fluorescent BAN LIE.
Right along with, will I die if I get cut by a broken fluorescent lamp.
Fluorescent lamps have not been banned by any state, local, or federal government.
People need to do research before they spout off.
If I am wrong, then prove it to me with the regulation, not opinion.

So yes, the regulations have changed on energy use. YES, IN TIME ALL fluorescents will wind up being replaced by something more energy efficient.
How do you all think we went from T-12 down the stair steps to T-5's in the first place?
But big brother did not BAN anything.

Right along with engines that had distributers with Point's and used Carburetors for air and fuel mixing.

Just like 8 track tapes, cassettes, and CD's, pretty much gone all to digital.

Sorry for the rant, but it is a pet peeve of mine when information is passed along and simply not true.

Are T-5's being phased out. Yep you bet, maybe in 40 years.

Last edited:

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems T8 and T5 need to meet efficiency requirements (lm/watt) to continue production. I have not seen the lumen specs for the ATI Blue Plus but their own response seems to indicate they meet the minimum govt. requirements. This blog says most T5 meet it, but they do not say all.

As this says general lighting which means in a business or home but not specialty. all most all T-8 and all T-5 used for general lighting meet the requirements. I would not even use T-12 for general lighting any more.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have t5 and miss my VHO t12 big boys with some MH 12 k and a few coolers to keep the room below 100 degrees. Lol. I actually loved my VHO’S. Years ago

Jordan Prather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kessill 360x supplemented with blue+ t5s. I'm as happy as my clam...
Glad to hear that just ordered 1 kessil a360x to try out with my aquatic life t5 hybrid cant wait to see what it does have to order 2 more if I'm happy as it's going on a 6ft 220 gal

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear that just ordered 1 kessil a360x to try out with my aquatic life t5 hybrid cant wait to see what it does have to order 2 more if I'm happy as it's going on a 6ft 220 gal
You will love that Combo. I love the Kessil for Color but hate the Shimmer (Shimmer is nice, but not all day), so the T5's solve that issue, and together there is nothing better (for me).

Jordan Prather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will love that Combo. I love the Kessil for Color but hate the Shimmer (Shimmer is nice, but not all day), so the T5's solve that issue, and together there is nothing better (for me).
I'm really excited to get it. Coming in tomorrow my dad has the a360we and I absolutely love his tank. My tank needed more power so I think these will be perfect. Might look into the narrow lens to due to mine being 30in deep. But with the t5s and being a mixed reef the standard lens may work

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beeing in Sweden my sale figure of T5 is about 10 or 20% of what it was 5 Years ago.

Looking at the home shops it is hard to find room lighting with T5 now. They are all led. All 2700 or 3000K.
I am sick of that yellow light. So I have converted almost all my lights at home to 4000 or 6500K.
And using leds with a better color rendition (CRI).

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5's will be phased out when a newer technology makes them no longer saleable or profitable. There are no (US, at least) government regulations driving their demise. T8's are still readily available, and I expect that they will also remain so for quite some time.

But the aquarium hobby is such a very small sector of the lighting market that it suffers at the feet of the commercial lighting market, which is the largest driving force. Lighting manufacturers have been for a long time replacing conventional linear fluorescent tube products with LED products. In large part this is driven by Energy Conservation building codes, which almost universally and completely prevent the widespread use of fluorescent lighting (which not very long ago was the norm). Fluorescents simply use too much power to meet the energy codes governing new commercial buildings. Add in the fact that fluorescent tubes require frequent replacement while LED's never require replacement, and the cost/benefit to ownership lands LED in the driver's seat, while fluorescents are quickly being left in the dust. Designers can't use them and owners don't want them anymore.

There is still a large installed base of fluorescent light fixtures, so the tubes are not going to suddenly disappear. Eventually they indeed will, however, and no matter how much the aquarium hobby might want them, it's not a big enough market to make them profitable for manufacturers to continue producing them forever.

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though most people who still use them have tried other things, you will have to pry their VHOs out of their cold dead hands because they have seen what they can do.
This my man, this. And I love when these LED kids mock running VHO tubes. I've got a radion, and it's a pretty sweet light - but VHOs, unless you've seen it....

Back