OP
OP
swiss1939

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orange spot blennies would work, hectori gobies are also effective hair algae eaters for smaller tanks.

As far as urchins, a tuxedo or halloween urchin could work. But I would recommend against a pencil urchin. I've seen them start eating corals if there wasn't enough algae.

Also, make sure it is actually hair algae and not bryopsis, as there aren't hardly effective bryopsis eaters.
With either the orange spot or the hectori gobi, would adding the tail spot into the mix cause some aggression? I assume the orange spot since it is also a blenny. I have the tail spot paid for already and found both of those other fish online available now. I would like whichever one will be eventually compatible with the tail spot, and do a decent job of algae eating.

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bicolor blenny just got an appetite for sps so it had to go. Like others have said, they probably wont make much of an algae dent but they have great personalities.

OP
OP
swiss1939

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Further question... Would a tail spot, hectors and diamond goby get along? How about all of those with a 6 line wrasse?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Further question... Would a tail spot, hectors and diamond goby get along? How about all of those with a 6 line wrasse?
The tailspot, hector, and diamond should be fine. The sixline may become aggressive toward the hector eventually.

OP
OP
swiss1939

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tailspot, hector, and diamond should be fine. The sixline may become aggressive toward the hector eventually.
I've decided against the diamond goby for now as I've read they will starve in smaller systems that just don't have enough microfauna. I'm also trying to build my sand microfauna with bristle worms, copepods and mini brittle stars. So I figure I will wait to get a diamond goby for at least a year or two. Hopefully that is enough time to really build up a decent population of microfauna in the sand.

Same thing for the six line wrasse. I was kinda thinking that if i populate my tank with all my desired fish.. hectors goby, tail spot and let them grow to full size for a year or so and really claim their real estate, then introduce a juvenile six line, I'm hoping the six line will learn its place in the tank real estate and grow up friendly with and leave the smaller fish alone.

But in the meantime I've got an amphipod population that is getting out of hand! I might need another fish that can start knocking back the amphipod population until I get a six line.

OP
OP
swiss1939

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added both the tail spot and a fire shrimp last week. The tail spot picked a hole higher up on my rocks and the shrimp has the run of a big cave network under that rock.

I came home after being at work all day this past week and found a pile of sand in the middle of this low flat rock in my tank near the opening to the cave network. I assumed it was the shrimp and was annoyed that he piled sand on this flat rock that i plan to use for low light coral. So i waved all the sand off it and moved on.

Just now on break working from home days later i come check my tank out and see another pile of sand in the same spot. I'm looking close and then i realize it was the tail spot creating a tiny home in the bed between this tiny hole in the flat rock! So funny and amazing he got in that tiny space. But now i have to revaluate the usage of that space and have lost some usable space for coral placement due to his choice of excavation.

Broke out one of my 4K cameras and yellow filter to get a better vid of him doing his work.

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back