Tang pooping corner?

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Tomini tang (I have a Lemonpeel tang right now). The Tomini tang is significantly bigger AND I rescaped half the tank AND the LFS agreed to take the fish back if there were aggression issues in my 525xl (sorry just felt the need to cover my bases there).

Anyways, the two get along very peacefully (if anything the Lemonpeel is the boss) and generally avoid each other.

However, they both poop (HUGE ...payload... btw) in the EXACT SAME spot of the tank. The middle of the left side of the tank right against the glass. You can literally see accelerated algae and detritus where their poops land.

Do fish seriously sync up their pooping locations??

Sorry for the immature discussion but I'm amazed at how synced up it is.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is almost always due to flow. This is where things end up in your tank based on the flow. I have spots like these in most of my tanks as well. This is something I hope my maxspect gyres fix on my 500 gal wall tank.

Dennis McGrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is almost always due to flow. This is where things end up in your tank based on the flow. I have spots like these in most of my tanks as well. This is something I hope my maxspect gyres fix on my 500 gal wall tank.

That makes more sense. I thought maybe he had somehow potty-trained his tangs. :D

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarley had more than 1 tang at a time but a couple I had absolutely went in the same spot every time. I don’t have an explanation why but they did. Like a cat using a litter box.

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol...
I rarley had more than 1 tang at a time but a couple I had absolutely went in the same spot every time. I don’t have an explanation why but they did. Like a cat using a litter box.

Wow, so I'm not the only one? What weird behavior .

Pretty funny another person posted about it haha

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Tomini tang (I have a Lemonpeel tang right now). The Tomini tang is significantly bigger AND I rescaped half the tank AND the LFS agreed to take the fish back if there were aggression issues in my 525xl (sorry just felt the need to cover my bases there).

Anyways, the two get along very peacefully (if anything the Lemonpeel is the boss) and generally avoid each other.

However, they both poop (HUGE ...payload... btw) in the EXACT SAME spot of the tank. The middle of the left side of the tank right against the glass. You can literally see accelerated algae and detritus where their poops land.

Do fish seriously sync up their pooping locations??

Sorry for the immature discussion but I'm amazed at how synced up it is.

When I had my Yellow Tang, it liked doing it on the left side of my 90 gallon, often raining down on my poor coral beauty dwarf angel. The Tang was a jerk though, so I got rid of him.

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it isn't flow creating the issue and blowing the poop in the corner. In fact I had a Chevron tang that would do the same thing. He would swim down low in the left corner of my tank and drop a load. Then once done he would swim off. Then all of my Scarlet Crabs would rush over and begin forging through the waste. My Blonde Naso on the other hand just does his business where ever he pleases. Then my gyres make it look like a HUGE SNOW Globe! :)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything is posssible, but it’s not something I’ve ever witnessed!

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My scopas and PBT do the same thing. Front left side is where they both poop. I have watched them do it. It is weird for sure.

Plauri55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol...

Wow, so I'm not the only one? What weird behavior .

Pretty funny another person posted about it haha
No, you are definitely not the only one! My Yellow Eye Kole Tang does the same thing. He poops in the same corner of my tank and about the same times every day.
Wish I could be as "regular"!
Lol

mrpergo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Tomini for 5 yrs and he goes in the same place all the time........front left corner...........lol
Too funny

Phillyd1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your not alone. I have an eibli tang who poops in the same spot for the 10 months that I've had him. Front right corner. I watch him every day go to that same spot and poop

suta42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My WTB does this. Maybe a Ctenochaetus thing???

Could be???? Anecdotally I have spoken to a couple of local tang junkies who say some of their fish do that...

TBH, I don’t keep tangs but I kept a butterfly that ate certain corals and it would swim away to crap before returning to feed again. I found out later this behaviour wasn’t unique.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back