Tang pooping corner?

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by i_declare_bankruptcy, Oct 5, 2018.

1. i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy Active Member Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

I recently purchased a Tomini tang (I have a Lemonpeel tang right now). The Tomini tang is significantly bigger AND I rescaped half the tank AND the LFS agreed to take the fish back if there were aggression issues in my 525xl (sorry just felt the need to cover my bases there).

Anyways, the two get along very peacefully (if anything the Lemonpeel is the boss) and generally avoid each other.

However, they both poop (HUGE ...payload... btw) in the EXACT SAME spot of the tank. The middle of the left side of the tank right against the glass. You can literally see accelerated algae and detritus where their poops land.

Do fish seriously sync up their pooping locations??

Sorry for the immature discussion but I'm amazed at how synced up it is.

jdm1114 and Bubba1963 like this.
    Tags:

2. Dennis McGrath

Dennis McGrath Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

That is something I've never seen, but then I don't have any tangs. I would think it's a great thing to have since it's easier to clean just one place.

3. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

This is almost always due to flow. This is where things end up in your tank based on the flow. I have spots like these in most of my tanks as well. This is something I hope my maxspect gyres fix on my 500 gal wall tank.

TheLadyCrash, Bubba1963, Dom and 2 others like this.
  4. Dennis McGrath

Dennis McGrath Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

That makes more sense. I thought maybe he had somehow potty-trained his tangs. :D

4FordFamily likes this.
  5. Tft12

Tft12 Active Member

I think the OP meant the tangs are deliberately pooping in one spot. I have a parrot fish that absolutely poops in a particular part of my tank. He goes to the front right corner and goes there all the time. It’s strange.

jdm1114 and Bubba1963 like this.
  6. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Tangs do not care where they poop. Feed them and they’ll poop! :D

Bubba1963 and mike werner like this.
  7. i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy Active Member Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

I swear I only see them deliberately go there! For sure the lemonpeel and so far the tomini . Maybe I'm just crazy haha

Bubba1963 likes this.
  8. ritter6788

ritter6788 Coral Fraud Private Eye Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award

I rarley had more than 1 tang at a time but a couple I had absolutely went in the same spot every time. I don’t have an explanation why but they did. Like a cat using a litter box.

Bubba1963 likes this.
  9. PDR

PDR <°)))>{ R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 SCAA Member Build Thread Contributor

wesman42 and Bubba1963 like this.
  10. i_declare_bankruptcy

Lol...
    Wow, so I'm not the only one? What weird behavior .

Pretty funny another person posted about it haha

Bubba1963 likes this.
  11. Jesterrace

Jesterrace Valuable Member

When I had my Yellow Tang, it liked doing it on the left side of my 90 gallon, often raining down on my poor coral beauty dwarf angel. The Tang was a jerk though, so I got rid of him.

12. bhuyett

bhuyett Active Member

No it isn't flow creating the issue and blowing the poop in the corner. In fact I had a Chevron tang that would do the same thing. He would swim down low in the left corner of my tank and drop a load. Then once done he would swim off. Then all of my Scarlet Crabs would rush over and begin forging through the waste. My Blonde Naso on the other hand just does his business where ever he pleases. Then my gyres make it look like a HUGE SNOW Globe! :)

13. 4FordFamily

Anything is posssible, but it’s not something I’ve ever witnessed!

wesman42 likes this.
  14. Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Delaware Reef Club

My scopas and PBT do the same thing. Front left side is where they both poop. I have watched them do it. It is weird for sure.

15. Plauri55

Plauri55 Active Member R2R Supporter

No, you are definitely not the only one! My Yellow Eye Kole Tang does the same thing. He poops in the same corner of my tank and about the same times every day.
    Wish I could be as "regular"!
    Lol

16. AcanthurusRex

AcanthurusRex Active Member R2R Supporter

My WTB does this. Maybe a Ctenochaetus thing???

17. mrpergo

mrpergo Member

I've had a Tomini for 5 yrs and he goes in the same place all the time........front left corner...........lol
    Too funny

18. Phillyd1990

Phillyd1990 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Your not alone. I have an eibli tang who poops in the same spot for the 10 months that I've had him. Front right corner. I watch him every day go to that same spot and poop

19. Jesterrace

Jesterrace Valuable Member

Nope, my Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma) did the same thing. I think it's more of a Tang thing. Maybe like a cat or dog marking it's turf?

20. suta42

suta42 Member

Could be???? Anecdotally I have spoken to a couple of local tang junkies who say some of their fish do that...

TBH, I don’t keep tangs but I kept a butterfly that ate certain corals and it would swim away to crap before returning to feed again. I found out later this behaviour wasn’t unique.

Draft saved Draft deleted