Tang pooping corner?

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happens to me! My fox face, Tomini, and lawnmower blenny all go to the corner of my 90 gallon to poop. Every. Time. It’s nice since it’s easy to vacume, but it’s literally next to my face when I wake up because my tank is next to my bed lol. I think they do it to spite me

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface, Tomini, and algaeblenny all do the same thing. They poop in the corner of my tank. Its nice sense its easy vacume, but I see it in my face all the time sense my tank is next to my bed. I swear the do it to spite me lol

N1Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Tomini tang (I have a Lemonpeel tang right now). The Tomini tang is significantly bigger AND I rescaped half the tank AND the LFS agreed to take the fish back if there were aggression issues in my 525xl (sorry just felt the need to cover my bases there).

Anyways, the two get along very peacefully (if anything the Lemonpeel is the boss) and generally avoid each other.

However, they both poop (HUGE ...payload... btw) in the EXACT SAME spot of the tank. The middle of the left side of the tank right against the glass. You can literally see accelerated algae and detritus where their poops land.

Do fish seriously sync up their pooping locations??

Sorry for the immature discussion but I'm amazed at how synced up it is.
I had a sailfin tang and he’d poop in the same spot and a lot. Sometimes he would swim around the tank with a trail of poop hanging out of his, his, well, you know what.

TangsRLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 fish that all do this in my 125. 3 tangs and a foxface. They all poop in the front right. It makes cleaning up much easier

Ratsinmyhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really related to a vegitarian tang but, I remember reading about how northern pike will do this in nature. The pike will hide in its ambush spot for hours. Or cruise around looking for a meal. Then move to another area to do its business. But if I remember right it had something to do with an alarm pheromone that minnows gave off when they were distressed(or eaten) and that would carry thru into the poop. And if the northern were to poop where it hunts, the other minnows (that would smell this pheromone) would be on high alert and less likely to be easy prey. I can’t see much of a relation between a fresh water meat eating predator, and a marine vegitarian, but the tang may have an unknown reason for what it is doing.

declanisadog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kole tang definitely does this, and it's hilarious because it's the same corner the clowns hang out in. It looks like he deliberately swims backwards into their corner, and poops on them.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is funny , I've never really noticed this but moving foward when I get more tangs I'll have to see if it happens . I use to have a black cap basslet that hated my corals . He would randomly grab a mouthful of sand and spit it out on every coral in the tank . I know they move sand and all but he would go out of the way to spit on each and every coral ..jerk lol

xeanliao

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny to find this thread ... I thought it was odd that my Tomini tang is house trained, googled and ends here. Just like Wen above, he has to go to the far left corner to do the thing

Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 6.17.30 PM.png

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Yes. all my large fish goto the front right, poop, swim away as fast as they can while the others feast. Sailfin, Yellow, Purple, Foxface, etc....they all do it.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs do not care where they poop. Feed them and they’ll poop! :D
My tomini poops in the back right corner of the tank. He hangs and sleeps on the opposite side of the tank. very rarely he will poop in a difrent area.

You are welcome to come and watch my tang poop lol

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tomini poops in the back right corner of the tank. He hangs and sleeps on the opposite side of the tank. very rarely he will poop in a difrent area.

You are welcome to come and watch my tang poop lol
All 15 or so of mine just poop when they eat everywhere lol, but fish are individuals! :)

kevin318

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Tomini tang (I have a Lemonpeel tang right now). The Tomini tang is significantly bigger AND I rescaped half the tank AND the LFS agreed to take the fish back if there were aggression issues in my 525xl (sorry just felt the need to cover my bases there).

Anyways, the two get along very peacefully (if anything the Lemonpeel is the boss) and generally avoid each other.

However, they both poop (HUGE ...payload... btw) in the EXACT SAME spot of the tank. The middle of the left side of the tank right against the glass. You can literally see accelerated algae and detritus where their poops land.

Do fish seriously sync up their pooping locations??

Sorry for the immature discussion but I'm amazed at how synced up it is.
I have a Bristletooth Tomini Tang and it poops in the same spot of the tank. I just posted about it......LOL! Major dumps too, the crabs in my tank hang out in that area waiting for the delivery.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back