Tang stocking

rainsong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ready to add some tangs to my 60" x 24" x 22" (with 40B sump) tank. The tangs will likely be the last fish going into this tank (at least for a while).

Current stock:

- a pair of ocellaris clowns
- 1 x Foxface rabbit
- 1 x Melanurus wrasse
- 1 x blue streak cleaner wrasse
- 1 x flame angelfish
- a bunch of snails

I will be QTing the tangs in a 29 gallon (cycled) tank for about 45 days. All my other fish went through same QT.

I would like to get a purple tang. What other tangs (and how many) should I be considering?

- Purple + chocolate + convict
- Purple + powder brown + ?
- Purple + powder blue + ?
- Purple + ctenochaetus tangs

Would appreciate any input.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest sticking to the one tang per gallon rule. Purple is great but don't limit yourself.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ready to add some tangs to my 60" x 24" x 22" (with 40B sump) tank. The tangs will likely be the last fish going into this tank (at least for a while).

Current stock:

- 1 x Foxface rabbit
- 1 x Melanurus wrasse
- 1 x flame angelfish
- a bunch of snails

I will be QTing the tangs in a 29 gallon (cycled) tank for about 45 days. All my other fish went through same QT.

I would like to get a purple tang. What other tangs (and how many) should I be considering?

Purple + chocolate + convict sounds like the makings of a horrible slasher movie.

They're all jerks imo :)

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't all tangs jerks ...:rolleyes:
I'm sure they all have the ability to be.

Purple, convict, pb, gem seem to be the constant offenders.

I'm about done with my Gem honestly. Smallest of 6 in my tank, and the biggest attitude. If someone's ticked off, the gem is at fault. Unfortunately it's also dumb as sin and never remembers that the Desjardini, Orange shoulder and regal will beat the snot out of it so it constantly has to be reminded.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Current stock:

- 1 x Foxface rabbit
- 1 x Melanurus wrasse
- 1 x flame angelfish
- a bunch of snails

Personally, I would get a purple and 1 Ctenochaetus to go with your foxface.

Powders and chocolates get a little big and aggressive.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you have meet The Tang Police! :cool:

My tank is 79 in. I have a Purple, Gem, Scopus , Kole, Naso, and a Vlamingi. Oh and a Foxface.

What ever you do more than 1 Zebrasoms all at once and first! In fact add them all at once, all tangs at once., if you can. Best chance.

I think length of DT has something to do with how many and be prepared to re home as needed.

Good luck.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ignore large tangs altogether, purely due to how aggressive they are. I hate most of them, the exception being a Goldrim. The other guys get aggressive, Ctenochaetus stay smaller and aren’t even close to aggressive (Avoiding the C. striatus and C. hawaiiensis that is).

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I see you have meet The Tang Police! :cool:

My tank is 79 in. I have a Purple, Gem, Scopus , Kole, Naso, and a Vlamingi. Oh and a Foxface.

What ever you do more than 1 Zebrasoms all at once and first! In fact add them all at once, all tangs at once., if you can. Best chance.

I think length of DT has something to do with how many and be prepared to re home as needed.

Good luck.
Sorry bro - I do not agree with 'rules' - but your stocking seems ridiculous - and I wouldn't recommend it. And - there is no rule about adding 1 tang first or second or etc. A 2 foot tang in a 79gallon aquarium - ok - fine you did it - to advertise it as 'normal' - to me is a disservice

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry bro - I do not agree with 'rules' - but your stocking seems ridiculous - and I wouldn't recommend it. And - there is no rule about adding 1 tang first or second or etc. A 2 foot tang in a 79gallon aquarium - ok - fine you did it - to advertise it as 'normal' - to me is a disservice
I could be wrong, but I interpreted it as them saying their tank is 79 inches long (still probably a bit shorter than would be recommended for the bigger tangs there, but not nearly as bad as a 79 gallon tank would be).

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless one has a monster sized aquarium, managing tang aggression, angelfish aggression,[insert fish] aggression is really important.

Short term management includes minimizing initial outburst of aggression, improving the nutrition and general health of new fish and disease management.

Long term management focus on building trust and routine with the fish, provide comfortable habitat (more about the size of hiding places, rather than the total system volume), minimize unnatural stimulus.

When the tangs swims calmly and relaxed, like how one would expect an angelfish to swim, then I know the fish enjoys the aquarium.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

79 inches not gallons bro! "in."is an abrivation for inches... 6 foot 7 inches. Almost 7 foot!. I guess "gal." is gallons. Yes you are right. If your adding several Tangs and can afford it one will have the best chance of the least aggression if they are added all at once instead of a setting order Rule. But rules are add all the Zebras at once. Lol

Last edited:

Killas15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not the most experienced. But in my tank I have together a purple tang, powder blue tang and a blonde naso tang. They all roam my tank together and eat all together also. The first two days of course the purple tang. Hassled them around Abit. But no more than two days and they where friends.

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend is nuts he has… Yellow Tang, Tomini Tang, Mimic Tang, Kole eye tang, couple of chromis, a wrasse, and a pair of clownfish in a 55 gal… he’s been running his tank like this for 3-4 years with no issues!! tang police gonna have a field day on him lol

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend is nuts he has… Yellow Tang, Tomini Tang, Mimic Tang, Kole eye tang, couple of chromis, a wrasse, and a pair of clownfish in a 55 gal… he’s been running his tank like this for 3-4 years with no issues!! tang police gonna have a field day on him lol
his tank has super open swimming room which is an advantage

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back