Tangs compatibility

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the LFS for some snails and my wife was with me. She saw a Powder brown tang and she wanted it. SCORE!! I can get a new fish but it's a P. Brown tang. I have a Vlamingi tang in my tank as well as a pyramid butterfly. Do you think the powder brown would bully them two?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will be a fight between the tangs for sure. What size aquarium? Also you can look at compatibility charts in live aquaria. Once they are settled they should get along. You could remove your existing tang to reduce aggression.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is bigger, the vlamingi or the powder brown? If the vlamingi is larger, then there shouldn't be too big of an issue. Vlamingi tangs get huge, but are quite peaceful.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be fine too, but the powder brown will eventually become dominant.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is bigger, the vlamingi or the powder brown? If the vlamingi is larger, then there shouldn't be too big of an issue. Vlamingi tangs get huge, but are quite peaceful.
Agree entirely. You should be fine assuming you prophylactically treat all fish for ich and velvet...

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to bring this back up, there's another PB at our LFS, small and on sale. One other question I have, will they be aggressive to any other additions to my tank after established. I know I've read the P.Blue gets that way.

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion it doesn't matter between the 2 as they are both relatively the same regarding aggression. You will have issues down the road with new additions but nothing compared to what other Acanthurus species can cause. Powder Browns and Gold Rims can be on the low end of the aggression spectrum.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion it doesn't matter between the 2 as they are both relatively the same regarding aggression. You will have issues down the road with new additions but nothing compared to what other Acanthurus species can cause. Powder Browns and Gold Rims can be on the low end of the aggression spectrum.
Copy, I kind of figured that. I think I'm going to pass on the tang. Plus I think it would have been an impulse buy anyway.

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly goldrim are a more sensitive fish than powder browns. More similar to powder blues and achilles. Don't quote me on that though ;).

Back