Tangs

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I currently have a baby blue hippo tang. Ive got a pretty good deal on a 125 gallon (theres also a 180 but Im very concerned my floor cant handle that much more weight).

I was wondering if this list of fish is good for this tank?

Blue tang
Yellow tang
Naso tang
Kole tang
Bi color foxface
Blue throat trigger
2 clowns
Firefish
Lawnmower blenny
YWG
Engineer goby
Marine betta
Girdled Angel
Flame dwarf angel

Fish I currently have that must go in the new tank:
Blue tang
2 clowns
Firefish
Lawnmower blenny
YEG
EG

Thoughts/suggestions welcome

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a niger trigger and a blue throat be okay together?
They should work but with the fish you want, I wouldn’t go for triggers. They can be rather boisterous and fire fish don’t enjoy that nor will the YWG.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should work but with the fish you want, I wouldn’t go for triggers. They can be rather boisterous and fire fish don’t enjoy that nor will the YWG.
Ah would the trigger mess with them or their activity level just be a lot for them?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very similar to the stock list I have in a similar size tank.

I have a purple, tomini and a blue hippo tang; all introduced together from juvenile.

They get together well- also with the fox face.

I would cut it down to three tangs, leave out the Naso!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah would the trigger mess with them or their activity level just be a lot for them?
The triggers would likely be to active for them, Firefish and YWGs can be more secretive in a high activity tank.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The triggers would likely be to active for them, Firefish and YWGs can be more secretive in a high activity tank.
Ah okay good to know. I really like those two and I see my firefish a lot in the tank they are in now. He seems to have gotten used to my blue tangs activity. Never see my yellow watchmen though

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very similar to the stock list I have in a similar size tank.

I have a purple, tomini and a blue hippo tang; all introduced together from juvenile.

They get together well- also with the fox face.

I would cut it down to three tangs, leave out the Naso!
Ah okay. Im really in love with the colors of the Naso. Is there any other tang that you know if with similar coloring that would be happy in the tank?

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated list

thoughts?

Attachments

• C68616D4-CA8F-4C9F-B84D-3D56A64C9C16.png
    C68616D4-CA8F-4C9F-B84D-3D56A64C9C16.png
    183.4 KB · Views: 33

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I currently have a baby blue hippo tang. Ive got a pretty good deal on a 125 gallon (theres also a 180 but Im very concerned my floor cant handle that much more weight).

I was wondering if this list of fish is good for this tank?

Blue tang
Yellow tang
Naso tang
Kole tang
Bi color foxface
Blue throat trigger
2 clowns
Firefish
Lawnmower blenny
YWG
Engineer goby
Marine betta
Girdled Angel
Flame dwarf angel

Fish I currently have that must go in the new tank:
Blue tang
2 clowns
Firefish
Lawnmower blenny
YEG
EG

Thoughts/suggestions welcome
Feels like allot of bio-load when you consider their adult sizes. Naso gets way too big for either tank and to decrease load would seriously consider passing on the Girdled angel, engineer goby and marine betta. Good luck.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a brown powder tang might work instead of the naso but i would add it last to reduce aggression as powder tangs can be mean. girdled angel (majestic angelfish) and other large angelfish get too large for a 125. Even the blue hippo tang may need to be rehomed with age. There are too many medium to large fish on the list as it is so you will need to sub out 1 fish off the list for smaller fish. I would probably take 1 tang off the list and maybe even the foxface or butterflyfish

What fish are meant by YEG and EG, just havent seen the abbreviation for these?

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a brown powder tang might work instead of the naso but i would add it last to reduce aggression as powder tangs can be mean. girdled angel (majestic angelfish) and other large angelfish get too large for a 125. Even the blue hippo tang may need to be rehomed with age. There are too many medium to large fish on the list as it is so you will need to sub out 1 fish off the list for smaller fish. I would probably take 1 tang off the list and maybe even the foxface or butterflyfish

What fish are meant by YEG and EG, just havent seen the abbreviation for these?
Sorry yellow watchmen goby, l mistyped. And engineer goby! I revamped the list and decided on a blue hippo and orange shoulder tang, no butterfly, and a coral beauty angel and a flame angel instead of a big angelfish.
list is now this for a 180 gallon:

blue tang
Orange shoulder tang
Bicolor foxface
Flame and coral beauty dwarf angels
Lawn mower blenny
Midas blenny
Yellow watchmen goby
Engineer goby
Clown pair
Firefish
Porkupine puffer

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s 15 fish in a 125 and most are med size .

for reference I have the same amount of fish including some of the same in my 230
Gotcha. I re did the list below, and most likely getting a 180 gallon. If l end up with the 125 Ill just have my blue tang as the only tang and leave off the orange shoulder and maybe get rid of the foxface

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first get your floor checked out as it seems you are unsure of which tank it can support. 180 gallon vs 125 will change the max stocking. As far as the new porcupine puffer 180 gallon would be the minimum and would be matter if you plan a reef tank vs fowlr. Never kept one myself but they get big and their beaks are made for crunching so I would be afraid of putting it with expensive corals

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first get your floor checked out as it seems you are unsure of which tank it can support. 180 gallon vs 125 will change the max stocking. As far as the new porcupine puffer 180 gallon would be the minimum and would be matter if you plan a reef tank vs fowlr. Never kept one myself but they get big and their beaks are made for crunching so I would be afraid of putting it with expensive corals
Yeah I dont have super expensive corals at the moment, like 10 dollar frags I was going to try since I want the puffer. I also have a 70 with coral so if it doesnt work I wont have that be a reef tank. And the 180 lm looking at is actually acrylic, so less weight there. Both would be fine with the acrylic!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not get an engineering goby. This species did not get named Engineering for nothing. They dig a lot of tunnels and collapses rock structure unless really study and on the tank bottom. IMO, Foxface and Blue will get too large. Chocolate tang also get large and rather dap looking as adult.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not get an engineering goby. This species did not get named Engineering for nothing. They dig a lot of tunnels and collapses rock structure unless really study and on the tank bottom. IMO, Foxface and Blue will get too large. Chocolate tang also get large and rather dap looking as adult.
I already have the engineer and shes actually my favorite fish! And yeah they are babies as of now, I will probably upgrade in a few years

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also pass on the orange shoulder tang. I would consider them up there with nasos when it comes to size. I have seen specimens at the steinhart aquarium that are probably pushing a foot and a half.

Back